Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the SV was equivalent to a car, which one would it be?

I would say a Mazda Miata. It's looked upon by certain auto enthusiasts as a "girl's car", but has a very dedicated following. Among the autocross and trackday crowds it is well respected due to its lightness, ability to turn in, and pure handling. Of course, miatas also get a lot of BS from the 16-25 yr old males out there who think any car with less than 250 hp is a girl's car. Also, the miata will handle tight small tracks (such as SCCA autocross, and some solo tracks) as well as bigger more powerful cars.

Of course the SV = miata, a race replica would be something along the lines of an Evo or Sti.

Just food for thought, and random posting.

Anyone have a better fit?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I would compare the SV as plain as it is, more to a Focus, no frills basic transportation that it cheaply customisable

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
RandyO said:
I would compare the SV as plain as it is, more to a Focus, no frills basic transportation that it cheaply customisable
id agree more with this one except for the customisable part....its not custom if you can buy it and everyone else has it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
i'd have to agree with the miata if we are comparing best bang for the buck rides. miatas are pretty affordable for a good handling convertible.

if i had to pick another car that would possibly be seen as girly by most outsiders but performs well i'd go with the first generation lotus elise. it had a more rounded look than the more agressive second generation but would handle great and it's light weight meant that it was easy to make go really fast.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
toobrokeforthat said:
id agree more with this one except for the customisable part....its not custom if you can buy it and everyone else has it.
cheaply customizable meaning there is a ton of aftermarket, support, performance and bling available for both

·
Registered
571 Posts
toobrokeforthat said:
someones referred to the Elise as a girls car?  I can honestly say ive never heard that.....
try talking to americans that think they are car guys before the lotus was ever imported and show them a pic. to most that don't know what they are looking at they would laugh at you when you told them it would just about wipe the floor with anything we americans can make.

i've wanted one since the day i read about them sometime back in '98.

you've got to admit that the looks of the first gen do not bring out thoughts of "this car will eat anything on the road." but it's like us with the sv. we know what we got and how to use it, but others that don't know what they are messing with will soon be shown the truth. ;)

sure there are other cars that can beat it in a straight line, like we have bigger bikes that can walk us down the highway. but show me a twisty road and then let's see what you got.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm going to show my age here a bit, but my SV has always reminded me of my '84 VW Rabbit GTI.
Lite and quick handling, just enough power and speed to get you into trouble, a back road delight. And it had/has a fanatical cult following with an abundant aftermarket to satisfy whatever needs and want's you may have to modify the thing.
Yup, that about sums it up alright.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
+1 on the GTI.....SV would be much more than a ford focus, but not quite a WRX.......

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree with the gti, not quite sure about the civic though. A large percentage of civic owners are ricers (care more about image than performance, a la fast and furious crowd), where as I don't see SV owners to be as image conscious in comparison to the owners of other bikes.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Heh, yeah I see the civic along the lines of the stretched, blinged, and lowered bike crowd with leopard skin seats. I love the Mk1 GTIs and I love Miatas. I think they both are very much along the lines of an SV. Light, nimble, peppy, moddable, with dedicated followers. I would love to get a hold of one of them cars, mmmmm.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I see my SV650s at the same level as my 2002 Nissan Sentra Spec-V. Handles pretty good, moderately cheap from the dealer, capable in the company of more expensive alternatives, and inexpensive to own and maintain.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Either an early model GTI, or the first-Gen Nissan Sentra SE-R, circa 1991. In other words, before either car gained too much weight.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Wooo didn't consider the SE-r. Gotta love those too.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I agree with Miata. The SV is an entry-level sportbike that is much more than the sum of its parts. A bike that actually has a soul... great bang for the buck. Often mistaken as a "girl's bike" by arrogant/ignorant people who own more powerful sportbikes - or by those who are just plain ignorant. Substitue "car" for "bike" above, and the same is true of the Miata. I totally disagree with the Focus, Civic, etc. comparisons because nothing with front wheel drive can ever be considered a true sports car in my book.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Well, my SV is the most fun I've had since my '86 CRXsi.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Poe said:
I agree with Miata.  The SV is an entry-level sportbike that is much more than the sum of its parts.  A bike that actually has a soul... great bang for the buck.  Often mistaken as a "girl's bike" by arrogant/ignorant people who own more powerful sportbikes - or by those who are just plain ignorant.  Substitue "car" for "bike" above, and the same is true of the Miata.  I totally disagree with the Focus, Civic, etc. comparisons because nothing with front wheel drive can ever be considered a true sports car in my book.
I had actually thought of the FWD vs RWD thing when I thought of a focus, I wouldn't compare the SV to a Mustang, or corvette, or 3 series bmw, the number of current RWD cars is dwindling, to nothing realy in the entry level, should I have compared the SV to a pinto, or vega, maybe a 2wd Nissan , toyota Masda truck would be a better comparison, I could prolly compare mine to a mid size SUV the way I have it outfitted

I disagree with the Miata cause the miata is not a no frills crappy suspension car that the SV is a bike, I could compare the Miata to a ducati monster, but not the SV

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
schultzboy said:
you've got to admit that the looks of the first gen do not bring out thoughts of "this car will eat anything on the road." but it's like us with the sv. we know what we got and how to use it, but others that don't know what they are messing with will soon be shown the truth. ;)
ill give you that it doesnt scream muscle car or the like. However anytime i see a small car like the Elise i immediately think handling. Theres a reason why the elise is still being produced and its v8 big brother isnt. No im not just talking about how hideous the espirit is either. Most muscle car guys wouldnt know an elise but i think most other guys do...maybe i just have too much faith lol

1 - 20 of 154 Posts