Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So guys i know that if you wheelie an SV it starves the cylinders from oil. If so, what damage am i looking at, how severe, and how often does it have to be done/ distance/ time bike is up?

Im buying an sv to race on, picking it up tomorrow, thing that's bothering me is that the old man did some wheelies on it.

I know there was a thread about it somewhere on here but I've been unable to find it.

Share your knowledge!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
You're just going to get flamed by all the regulars on here.

There are some that say nothing happens, others think that as soon as the front tire leaves the ground, the engine blows up.

If it does starve, the majority of people say it's only the front cylinder.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i do them all the time, granted i never hold them up more than about 15 seconds or so... i'm still learning. in theory it makes sense about the front cylinder starving of oil. if it's a huge concern as to what damage may have been done so far, then tear the head off and look. :p chances are it's fine though. good luck with your new toy though.

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
You're going to rupture the space-time continuum if you don't stop that. I've already come to the tip of armageddon by taking my SV off some sweet jumps.

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
Meet MullerJD.

He wheelies and has never had to rebuild.

·
Registered
257 Posts
you guys are missing the point of his post. he plans to race it, the PO wheelied it and he's worried that there might be damage/excessive wear from it.

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
you guys are missing the point of his post. he plans to race it, the PO wheelied it and he's worried that there might be damage/excessive wear from it.

I didnt miss anything. Im saying people wheelie and dont have any problems so he should be fine. But if he is racing he will prolly be taking the motor apart anyway.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Check the steering head bearings. Those will suffer damage from repeated wheelies with the front end coming down on the pavement.

Saw this happen to a Harley Wide Glide that belongs to an instructor at school. Bike is so powerful he can carry the front end quite a distance, and he did it so much he toasted the steering head bearings. Bike seems fine, then the thing starts into a nasty front end wobble because of the bad steering head bearings.

Check the bearings, races, as well as the wheel bearings, axle, basically the entire front end.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I didnt miss anything. Im saying people wheelie and dont have any problems so he should be fine. But if he is racing he will prolly be taking the motor apart anyway.
wasn't refering to you, but to the oh your going to get flamed and popcorn bits when he never said he was going to wheelie it personally. you actually support my opinion

·
Registered
467 Posts
Logically, if the cylinders are being starved for oil, you might be looking at some excessive wear on the sleeves - microscopic scratches and such. There might be more damage that I'm unaware of, but as a new owner you should probably change the oil filter and oil by putting in the best oil you can find.

It shouldnt be too much of a problem; If it is going to be a track bike then you will be thrashing the engine pretty hard too (running high rpms all the time).

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
^ also check for cracks in the frame. Slamming down hard from wheelies causes stress cracks.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
The cylinders aren't starved for oil. If you ever get to look into a running engine you will see that it's like an oil hurricane in there.

The problem is with starvation at the pump pickup and subsequent loss of oil pressure at the main and crankpin journal bearings. With the bike in wheelie position for any period of time the pickup gets exposed.

Cylinders and piston skirts get lubricated by splashing oil and oil thrown off the crank. Bottom end bearings depend on pressure to keep them from going metal to metal.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
This can happen to any bike, and if it has happened you will know it. Like andyauger said, the crank bearing will go dry and it WILL destroy it. Take the bike for a test ride, and make sure it sounds and feels like both cylinders are running. If you are buying this to race, I assume you know more or less what it should feel like, so use your judgement and you should be ok.

·
Registered
799 Posts
The cylinders aren't starved for oil. If you ever get to look into a running engine you will see that it's like an oil hurricane in there.

The problem is with starvation at the pump pickup and subsequent loss of oil pressure at the main and crankpin journal bearings. With the bike in wheelie position for any period of time the pickup gets exposed.

Cylinders and piston skirts get lubricated by splashing oil and oil thrown off the crank. Bottom end bearings depend on pressure to keep them from going metal to metal.
partially correct.
some lube is from oil splashing and some of it comes from oil jets pointed at bottom of piston. this oil comes right out of crank, so if there is no oil coming to bearings there will be no oil going to pistons and cylinder walls, only what crank can catch and splash, which is not enough.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys, Funny thing is i've never ridden an sv. For the price im getting it i can't go wrong. After i pick it up, ill post pics and price. It's a 50 year old man and the bike has 7600 miles on it so it should be fine.

Thank you so much for the info.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
for that matter the only twin I've ridden is a Harley!

Other questions i should ask him about and check when i pick it up?

I thought up a small list.
Before going run the vin/ with cops too.
Check/ask if it burns oil/smoke
All original parts/ motor?
Subframe check
Frame check

Clue me in, with some more.

·
Registered
799 Posts
for top end leak down test is best way to check condition of engine.
for bottom end you can drain oil, undo bolt under oil pump and see if there are any metal particles there.
steering stops are good source for checking if bike has been wrecked hard. subframe is not that important.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Thanks guys, Funny thing is i've never ridden an sv. For the price im getting it i can't go wrong. After i pick it up, ill post pics and price. It's a 50 year old man and the bike has 7600 miles on it so it should be fine.

Thank you so much for the info.

so you think us older folk ride more responsibly that an 18 year old;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts