Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

SV Totaled - But now want the dark side

3K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  PaPa-G 
G
#1 ·
Okay, as you know my SV was totaled two weeks ago in a stupid accident. Other events in my life include buying a new house, and finding out that I am going to be a father.
My question is this: I found a good deal on a 2003 R6 that was involved in an accident. The damage is cosmetic, and I can get it for around $4,000, but my credit uniion is offering me a deal if I finance with them again that they will give me $1,000 toward a new bike. so it might be around $3,000. The tail section is gone and there are scratches on teh fairings and the headlight is cracked. He told me he has ridden it since the accident so there is no damage to the engine, forks, wheels, etc. I would love to be able to work on this bike and fix it up.
How do I convince my fiancee who I already kind of told I wasn't going to get another bike, to let me get this one? She already has a thing with motorcycles and me spending money on them, but with teh house and baby on the way, we are watching our finances.

Any suggestions?

G
#2 ·
You told her you weren't going to get another bike? What were you thinking? Gonna be hard to do an about face on that one, specially with the new addition to the family coming (btw, congratulations).
You are going to have to do some serious sucking up to pull this one off or maybe get a part time job? Maybe you should consult the guy that got himself out of the speeding ticket, he seems to have a way with words, maybe he can help. :lol:

You could get a nice used SV for 3K that wouldn't be wrecked, don't go to the dark side!

G
#3 ·
Your credit union will accept a damaged bike as collateral? That seems unusual.

As far as relationship advice is concerned, I'm not the guy! If you're a recreational rider only, you may choose to wait until your life stabilizes post-delivery (baby, that is). The little wonders become the central point in your life and can easily suck up every minute of free time. Perhaps you could negotiate a compromise for some "sanity time", something important to her for something important to you.

Good luck & congratulations!

:)

G
#4 ·
It is a clean title so they do not know it is damaged. I know that the addition will be teh central point in my life and I will want to spend every free moment with it, but this was my hobby. I loved working on it, riding it, etc.
Another question:

The insurance company totale the bike and gave me an estimate of damages. Is there any way to contact them adn tell them that I don't want the bike totaled, that I would rather keep it and fix it? I know they contacted the credit union, and are eventually going to send out a check, but can I stop the process? The insurance check would really help mod the bike up.

#5 ·
Rio38 said:
It is a clean title so they do not know it is damaged. I know that the addition will be teh central point in my life and I will want to spend every free moment with it, but this was my hobby. I loved working on it, riding it, etc.
Another question:

The insurance company totale the bike and gave me an estimate of damages. Is there any way to contact them adn tell them that I don't want the bike totaled, that I would rather keep it and fix it? I know they contacted the credit union, and are eventually going to send out a check, but can I stop the process? The insurance check would really help mod the bike up.

You can try. Call your agent and see what he says.

#7 ·
Dude, you are so done :( Do yourself a favor and spend the money on a new bedroom set.
I think I'd pass on that R6, it doesnt sound like that great of a deal and no matter how it ends up, your fiancee will think your a fool for putting money better spent into any bike when her mind is on a new house, baby clothes and formula.
It's unfortunate that she doesn't share your enthusiasm for motorcycles, because any money you spend on bikes will be considered money wasted.

You gotta think about the possible reprocussions if you go back on your word. Your fiancee is looking for a stable platform to begin building her nest apon. Are you part of it :?:

Sorry,
the devils advocate.

#9 ·
Your a big guy and where complaining about the SV feeling so small for you. The R6 is going ot be worse. The power is a LOT worse unless you are ringing the hell out of it. I know the R6 has more HP and torque, but it is at a lot higher RPM.

I would ride the bike first. You aren't going to like the power delivery unless you road I4's before and you like it.

You can get SV1S for almost the same price. $4,000. 650 are all over for that.

YOUR MAKING A MISTAKE WITH AN R6!

G
#10 ·
Oneofeach said:
Dude, you are so done :( Do yourself a favor and spend the money on a new bedroom set.
I think I'd pass on that R6, it doesnt sound like that great of a deal and no matter how it ends up, your fiancee will think your a fool for putting money better spent into any bike when her mind is on a new house, baby clothes and formula.
It's unfortunate that she doesn't share your enthusiasm for motorcycles, because any money you spend on bikes will be considered money wasted.

You gotta think about the possible reprocussions if you go back on your word. Your fiancee is looking for a stable platform to begin building her nest apon. Are you part of it :?:

Sorry,
the devils advocate.
And on that note... Dude you just wrecked your SV... Why step it up a knotch? I'm sorry but given all the surrounding circumstances, at least wait until things calm... Take care of your family first... You were going to sell your SV for the house... You got your wish in an indirect way.

#11 ·
I'm inclined to agree with Yellow Nudist and One of Each.

With all the bigger and more important "big picture" things let the stuff die down a bit. When it's all calm and the like approach the topic with her.

I don't think it has everything to do with you going back on your word (which she will use on you), but if she already had something against you riding a bike it's just not going to change. In fact, it was probably heightened with the wreck. Also, with the kid and the house do you REALLY think she's going to see your side of things?

Best of luck.

#14 ·
Robert, Robert, Robert. I was gonna email you a picture of a new R1 Raven(pure sex) just to get you craving a motorcycle again, but I'll take it easy on ya. Didn't you tell me her last boyfriend was a MC nut also? She should realize your gonna be drawn towards getting another bike. Maybe the fixer-upper bike is the way to go. Would give you hours and hours of entertainment for you and the kid while she takes care of the new baby.

On the otherhand, maybe ya better wait till after the kid is born and is all set up with a house, room, crib.

In the meantime I'll keep e-mailing you pictures of bikes and showing you progress on my bike. I'll make sure when the little angel pops up on your left shoulder, the little devil on your right shoulder has my face. :twisted:

G
#15 ·
In the meantime I'll keep e-mailing you pictures of bikes and showing you progress on my bike. I'll make sure when the little angel pops up on your left shoulder, the little devil on your right shoulder has my face.
You are so mean, so mean............. :cry:

My life sucks. J/K

G
#16 ·
Congratulations on all the great stuff you've got going on. It sounds like you are getting a nice thing going there. As to the bike I have to agree with everyone that it's not worth it right now. No matter how sweet your fiance is she will not let it go if you go back on your word. However if she knows you've been looking at bikes it wouldn't hurt to earn yourself some points by telling her that YOU decided against it because it just wasn't a good time and you have too many other important things in your life. I just feel like you should at least get the credit for the decision as opposed to her having talked you out of it.

G
#17 ·
i'm with him ^
never pass up an opportunity for brownie points, you never know when you can cash them in.
Maybe when your kids a little older you can get him one of those little 50cc dirtbikes and you can get one too (not a 50 though). That way you can still go ride but do it together, a bonding deal.
Then maybe one of those little 50cc streetbikes when it's a little older, the start your kid racing, then you can get a bike and do track days together. More bonding.
and maybe you'll get lucky and your kid will be a natural and get a factory MotoGP ride when it's 16.

#18 ·
You could always split it up . Find a good used $1000 bike and use the rest of the money for needed things.

There are deals out there and half the fun is finding one. I hope your not one of those guys that HAS to have cool instead of function because there are a lot of older sporty type bikes out there that would be under or around $1000. :D

#24 ·
being married/tortured for 10 years,not to mention 4-01 is my 10th year and I still hanv't got her anything yet,take full advantage of her and tell her that street riding will be on hold till the baby is older,(she'll think that she won that one)Then find an endro and tell her it's just for trail riding,gradually a street bike will end up in you garage.Trust me, 3 jet-ski's a quad, a dirt bike, and an SVS,I know how to work them in,Next will be my part-time job managing a Go-Go bar.BTW congrats on the baby and house. :D

#25 ·
While I somewhat agree with the others, I have to say "Stand up and have some balls." Keep your thrashed SV, dump a little money into it here and there, and you not only get to tinker / work on your bike, but your also not "throwing" huge amounts of money away. AND, when your finished fixing it, you can get a salvaged or rebuilt title. So, you can say to your wife hey, Im not going out and buying a new bike, but I would like to eventually fix this one up someday. Note the someday. I agree a family comes first, and those of you who are reading right now and going, what an asshole, he has no idea, I do, I am a father of 2. Or, you can do what I just did, I wanted a new bike, so to work my way to a new bike for me, I just went and bought a new bike for the ol' lady. Thats my 2 cents, not that its gonna make me any friends.

Also, I agree with Matt, You dont want an I4 if you are used to a v twin, they are a whole new beast.

Woody

#26 ·
NorthGASV said:
rivited, i'll save you the trouble.................
:lol: :lol: :twisted: :D :twisted:
Man, that thing is sick! If I keep staring at that thing much longer, I'm gonna end up going out and getting one. I guess that idea backfired. :x NorthGASV, you've just become the little devil on MY right shoulder. :D

Rob, ya might wanna hang tight. I may just have a spare bike for you to ride in the next year or so. :roll: :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.