Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SV Streetfighter Build

So I am making this my general bike thread now. I am going to be doing more stuff; exhaust, paint, other mods in general. Thanks for the feedback so far.
(original post)

Hey guys,

I have a SV1000S. I am removing the stock upper fairing. I want to mount this headlight in a fixed, non turning fashion to the fairing stay tabs.

This is the headlight I got:

I want to make something like these Aprilia's have, to tie it into the whole bike. What do you think? Little fiberglass, or carbon "wings"? I think it could look pretty dope.

I know some might say that I am trying to fix something that isnt broken, as the SV1000S basically already has a headlight smoothed into the bike, but I want something smaller and slimmer.

I ordered the headlight, prob wont have it for a little, but once i start working, I will keep people posted.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
that headlight is pretty small, and im not sure it will look right if mounted stationary, because then it will need to be pushed forward more.

plus the light output is probably pretty bad.

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Seems like everyone wants to talk you out of it. I agree that that if it is pushed out too far it doesn't look right. You can see that from all those salvaged gsxr lights that are thrown on without modification, and even the s model looks the worst from a direct side angle because the fairing stay could be an inch shorter and lower.

That said, I think it's a good idea and hope you pull it off.
This is a non-fork mounted light done right. If there was some fiberglass work done on the sides I'm sure it would be a popular streetfighter design. I'm guessing a lot of work went into it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, well, I got the headlight and I worked on it til about 1am last night. I completely finished the mount for it and the gauge cluster except for paint.

First I just cut and drilled a piece of angle iron to bolt to the frame

Then I cut some tube steel to support the upper mounts for the light. I welded nuts to some tabs and welded those tabs to the ends and of the tubes.

Here is a pic from the back of the headlight mounted. It looks like alot of empty space behind, but with the gauge cluster it looks fine as you will see. Plus, it had to be this far out to clear the clutch and brake levers.

Gauge mounted without headlight (somewhere in here I also made the lower tabs, I used the same tube steel, cut a notch in the middle of the tube to get the down bend and then just a cross tube with more tabs with nuts welded on. Of course I checked headlight angle too)

This is just the mount. I made one side of the "V" and drilled both holes and cut the slots to get the rubber grommets in, then I drilled the other side of the "V" and cut it to fit correctly. I bolted both pieces to the gauge and tack welded them together. All the tacking was done on the bike and all the finish welds were done on the bench.

Look! It works! The speedo is a little low, but the tac is in a great spot. Who cares about speed anyway? hahahaha

Here is the complete mount before paint, I rounded off a few of the points after this pic.

So I will admit, I was getting tired and this is the only pic I have of it mounted to the bike. I will pull it outside and take a few more photos tomorrow.

Next up, wiring. Then I will tackle the side "wings". I plan on using the LED's in the light as turn signals. I am also going to put side mounted flush flashers in the "wings".

What do you all think?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so I finished the wiring, to a point. I soldered all the wire groupings together, but I dont have the stock plug yet, so I just have raw wire ends for each turnsignal power, lights and all grounds. I wired in extra ground and power for turn signals, cause I want to put side turn signals in the little "wings" I am gonna make.

Anyway, thanks to Featherburner, I was able to order the correct connector:

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/090_Connectors/090_connectors.html

I had to do a 5 piece minimum order so I have extras. If anyone needs one, contact me. I will ship it to you for $6 plus shipping.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I really like the mounting bracket, looks very solid!

pretty unique looking idea you have there, and would look good with the side cowlings

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am excited to try and build the side wing things, I like body work stuff.

As you guys said tho, this light is weaker than a crank up LED flashlight! Hahahaha, I thought it had the 2" round bulbs. YOu can replace those with 50w bulbs and they are actually kinda bright. These on the otherhand, well, they suck! Ha

I have two options, A: retro fit some better bulb/light system in this housing B: get a new headlight all together. There are some cool ones out there. I personally like these 2:

The first one is pretty wide, around 12 inches. I dunno what I am gonna do. What do you guys like?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
curious, what front end is that?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
forks

1 - 20 of 139 Posts