Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend of mine is getting one of these and making it street legal for his daily ride to class... It only makes 10 less horsepower than the SV but weighs only 250 lbs WET! I should have a ride report within a week or 2....

http://motoavanti.com/shop/parts/ktm/525smr_05/525smr_05.html

Oh man this is going to be sick....

-josh

P.S. any of you get to try out one of these monsters yet?

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
You KNOW that thing is on the must own list ;)

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
You're not kidding about the SV slayer part...I rode with one of them once, the exact bike, 525SMR. And holy shit, there is no keeping up, not in a straight line, not in the curves, nowhere. SV has a lil more top end but who cares when that bike can blast down the street on one wheel up to 100mph, with no effort. With an aftermarket pipe it was also the most notably loud bike I've ever heard (not including straight pipe harleys). We rode through the city between some tight buildings, I blipped my throttle to see how loud my holeshot pipe was, sounded great! But then BAM one loud thump from the ktm (he was blipping it too), my ears were ringing, I was put to shame :-[

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
What is the sticker price on one of those? Any major cons to the thumper plant?

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
SpeedisaVirus said:
What is the sticker price on one of those? Any major cons to the thumper plant?
Ridden a 525SMR. FUN AS [email protected]!!!

The concern is if you want to use it as a street bike. Even if you get the lights and plate - that motor will NOT stay together when held at a particular RPM. Those bikes have two throttle positions they like. Idle and WFO. And - WFO can't be left there for too long.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I tried the 450 at a recent KTM demo day on a Supermoto track. It was a blast  8) ...I am sure the 525 is a good bit quicker as well, BUT I think if you like to do a lot of miles on the street, SV is a better choice. Why? ----> Maintenance. The KTM has a tiny oil capacity, you'll be changing it all the time. I know there is a kit for the CRF450 out there to expand the oil capacity, if I was your friend, I would look into getting on of those for this bike.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I heard that the 525 has a very high maintenance engine, requiring embarassingly frequent routine maintenance and rebuilds. It's not cheap either.

....and I bet it's a freakin' sweet ride.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
motrads= fast but not very practicle. sv= pretty quick and pretty practicle. so until my budget allows for both i think i'll stick with the sv.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
It's going to take a lot of work to get it streetable. I was looking at the same bike and the dealer said that bike doesn't have an alternator or something like that. He said one of the bikes that has lights already is a better platform to start with, just throw on some 17 inch wheels and signals.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
mullerjd said:
It's going to take a lot of work to get it streetable.  I was looking at the same bike and the dealer said that bike doesn't have an alternator or something like that.  He said one of the bikes that has lights already is a better platform to start with, just throw on some 17 inch wheels and signals.
Yeah I talked to the guy I rode with that had a 525SMR, about the legality of his bike. He said "with the way I ride, it doesnt matter how legal my bike is". Sooooo yeah...theres one choice for streetability.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Why is everyone looking to find a bike to Beat and Kill the SV. This is a supermotard not even in the same class of bikes as the SV.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nexus242 said:
Why is everyone looking to find a bike to Beat and Kill the SV. This is a supermotard not even in the same class of bikes as the SV.
I just meant an SV Slayer in the twisties of the under 90mph variety :)

Definately not in terms of practicality, rideability, or even aesthets.

-josh

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Newdriver said:
I just meant an SV Slayer in the twisties of the under 90mph variety :)

Definately not in terms of practicality, rideability, or even aesthets.

-josh
Then why not say an R6 slayer or a 636 slayer or a CBR600RR slayer instead of the SV.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Nexus242 said:
Then why not say an R6 slayer or a 636 slayer or a CBR600RR slayer instead of the SV.
why bother at all

·
Registered
629 Posts
Ruefus said:
Ridden a 525SMR.  FUN AS [email protected]!!!

The concern is if you want to use it as a street bike.  Even if you get the lights and plate - that motor will NOT stay together when held at a particular RPM.  Those bikes have two throttle positions they like.  Idle and WFO.  And - WFO can't be left there for too long.
I agree, 20+ yrs of motorcross for me and I rode a buddy of mine's KTM450 version of that same bike hat he uses for racing supermoto (sponsored by the local shop he is a mechanic for and KTM) and it is fast but not made for everyday street use IMO either. I loved it and since you ride it like a dirtbike including sticking your foot out in the corners I had a lot of fun. He would eat up any body on a street bike for sure in the tight corners.

One thing I noticed, and said it was a problem unless you change the rake angle of the forks, is that the front end wobbles at high speed. The other thing is the vibrations you feel throughout..handlebars and footpegs. The seat reminds me of a typical hard as a rock motorcross seat because that is all these bikes are is motorcross bikes modified for street use. He has a friend that has the 525 that is street legal but he didn't show up the other day when he was practicing.

I would still love to have one for around town but not out on the open road.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Have your buddy do some research into the oil maintenance, One of the guys in my riding group has that bike, he has to change the oil every 750 miles, and two oil filters each time, Syringe the oil into the frame,, not fun, and he cant keep up with me and my SV.....but it is fun to ride, I felt too high off the pavement on it though, like a high side waiting to happen....I think the SV is the perfect blend of Road bike and supermoto......Thats why they are so special!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts