Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After browsing the site for awhile and checking out at all the cool mods and tweaks people have done to their rides, and especially after the whole bike of the month thing, I was curious about how many of y'all went the other way, i.e., 'anti-bling'.
I've always taken this route before, and I'm considering going that way with my SV. The only thing stopping me is that it's my first new bike ever and it almost seems a shame to 'defile' it. However, I grow a bit weary of considering how polished my ride is going to appear while considering what I'm going to do next.
If any of you have rattle-canned over your scratches, franken-biked your SV out of homemade scraps, other wrecked bike parts, etc., would mind putting a pic up of what you got and describing the 'crazy' stuff you did?
Thanks! Newt

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i dont like bling, i think it looked retarded.. i have alot of stuff homemade on my bike and painted it black, i like things that dont stand out but when they are noticed ppl are like "wow i didnt even notice that, it looks really awesome"

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
ronlarimer said:
DonnieJ I think this is all you.
He is the man to talk to, period.

I'm not a whole lot into bling. I bought my bike new and have no intentions of getting rid of it. It will eventually become a "rat bike". It's a slow process that will happen through wear and tear, crashing speeds the process up. Anything that comes off like "bling" on my bike usually has an effective purpose to it. For example, busticated my rearset, replaced with a "bling" one, but it has a purpose of allowing my bike to tip over and not bust up my levers (solid pegs).

Ooo sexy. I'm done.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
MagpieTear said:
Does that mean my bike's rider is bling? I wandered through most of my life without any purpose...

Same goes for wome...uh...kidding kidding, dont need another one of those threads popping up in the open forum :-*

·
Registered
37 Posts
evilbologna said:
He is the man to talk to, period.

I'm not a whole lot into bling. I bought my bike new and have no intentions of getting rid of it. It will eventually become a "rat bike". It's a slow process that will happen through wear and tear, crashing speeds the process up. Anything that comes off like "bling" on my bike usually has an effective purpose to it. For example, busticated my rearset, replaced with a "bling" one, but it has a purpose of allowing my bike to tip over and not bust up my levers (solid pegs).

Ooo sexy. I'm done.
what rearsets are those?

·
Hall Monitor
2,762 Posts
toddpnewton said:
Well then, let;s see her!
You may not want to.  

Imagine a 1st gen red SV that hasn't been washed since the Y2K scare.  Adorn it with tooled leather saddlebags.  Then saddle her up with a giant clad in a fluorescent yellow Aerostitch.   :eek:

The original SV ratbike had to belong to Mike "Chickenhead" Knapp.  He took a '99 SV and sanded all the paint off of it, running the semi-gloss black raw ABS bodywork.  Then he had the tank nickel plated.  Only the plater didn't do a too-thorough job and so it rusted through in a constellation of pinhole-sized spots.  He tossed the instruments for a Cateye bicycle speedometer.  I think it eventually wore clip-ons (it started life as a standard model).  Mike lived in Oakland, and his bike took on the patina and roughness of its surroundings.  His bike died (and Mike almost with it) when they were rear ended in stopped traffic on the San Mateo bridge.

Bill

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
bmetz99 said:
You may not want to.

Imagine a 1st gen red SV that hasn't been washed since the Y2K scare. Adorn it with tooled leather saddlebags. Then saddle her up with a giant clad in a fluorescent yellow Aerostitch. :eek:

Bill
Don't forget the swingarm having more chain lube on it then most chains!

·
Registered
687 Posts
MagpieTear said:
Coyote is selling them over in the "for sale" board. If you want them, tell him to sell you the ones I was going to buy. With the lost income of the past few days, I won't be getting them any time soon... :'(
funny i was just going to pm you about that. ;) i will hold you a set until you have the $$ .

evilbologna they look daam sexy on your bike ;)

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
toddpnewton said:
You a machinist right? Can I PM you a question? (Then erase I'll this post).
Sorry, but no, I'm a patternmaker. JimDaddy and Honda-Fan are the machinists that I know of. I haven't ran a metal-working machine since 1985 and forgot almost everything I ever learned about them...

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
MagpieTear said:
Does that mean my bike's rider is bling? I wandered through most of my life without any purpose...
Lol... purpose oriented parts... not a goal driven rider  ;D

·
Registered
449 Posts
rat bikes are never washed.

they are painted in a way so that dirt just gives it a little color.

plastics are nowhere in sight. they are either taken off or have experienced rot to the point they fell off.

has a nice patina of rust. dont let it get out of hand.

loud, cause the muffler needs repacking.

at its core, its still a solid working machine.

i'll add more later.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts