Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone installed the speedwerks ram air set up on their bike if so what was the advantage/disadvantage

·
Registered
97 Posts
There may be a slight advantage from relatively cool air entering the engine with one of these setups, but the whole "ram air" principal is a moot point on our SV bikes.

Assuming the ram air system is perfectly designed and 100% efficient, the HP gain at 150 mph would be around 3%, or about 2 HP. That's also assuming our bikes can even reach 150 mph.

G

·
0 Posts
One disadvatage I heard of is the price. It would be cheaper to raise tank, BMC filter, and re-jetting. Might even make more hp than the ram air effect? Dont need to go 150mph to feel it with my suggestion.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I have had the kit sitting in my garage for 2 years (came as a package with my used flat slides). I think I am going to install the bowl that surrounds the carbs. My bike has a boat load more power when the air is cold. I cannot believe how much easier it carries the front wheel in the evenings when the air is cooler. I am hoping that by installing the heat shield it will draw cooler air from under the tank between the frame than from heated engine air. I am going to try to tackle this on the weekend.
ac

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
avc8130 said:
My bike has a boat load more power when the air is cold. I cannot believe how much easier it carries the front wheel in the evenings when the air is cooler.
Hell to the yes. It was fairly cool last night and I had the throttle 3/4s open in first and the front just came up. Today, banging on the throttle in first, the front stayed down through the gear... and then I ran into the limiter.

Nexus242

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Hate to be the wet blanket, but if you get full stagnation pressure all the way to the intake valves at 100 MPH you are getting less than 2% extra intake pressure. Ram air is great in aircraft and high speed land vehicles. For the daily rider it does nothing, and may even restrict air flow if the design is wrong or the inside diameter isn't big enough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts