Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently looking into the GSXR rebuilt shocks over at svraceshop.com as a cheaper alternative to the higher end penske and ohlins shocks. Does anyone have any opinions on the quality/performance of these? I don't really plan on doing alot of racing, just mainly the occasional mountain ride, some 2 up riding and a bit of touring here and there.
Can any one lend me your opinions? I'd really appreciate it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i jst ordered the Budget shock, re-sprung and 100 mm dogbones. The guys really knew their shit and I can't wait til it gets here next week. Sorry I don't have more for you, but their reputation is top notch

·
Registered
537 Posts
if you have a 1st gen SV, i have a resprung/valved aftershocks SRAD shock i can let go for $300 + ship. handful of trackdays and personally tested and it works well on the track ;) if you're in my area, i can also help w/ the install.

sorry for bastardization...btw, resprung/valved stock shocks are much better than anything currently on the SV. not quite as good as the aftermarket but good middle ground. i'm selling mine cause i picked up a penske twin clicker. otherwise, i'd keep it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I like my shock I got from them.

To hear them talk about it, they have less adjustability than penske, etc. However they dont need as much as they already come valved for your bike. Ultimate performance isnt good but from what riding you say you'll be doing I doubt you'll ever notice the difference between the revalved gsxr and a penske.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are their shocks guaranteed to raise ride height? Their site mentions optional lengthening for '03+ SVs but I've heard elsewhere that the stock GSXR shocks will raise the rear a bit. I only ask this because I'm already a short rider and can't even flatfoot the bike even with the seat shaved down a few inches, so a raised seat height is something that I really can't afford.

·
Registered
398 Posts
They modify them to the stock shock length. If the ride height increases, its only because the SAG is finally going to be correct. When I installed mine, ride height didnt change noticably.

J

·
0 Posts
I have one and i love it. The bike no longer feels like it is hinged over the seat. It makes the back end smooth and provides alot more confidence going into corners.

·
Registered
336 Posts
i'll be purchasing one soon. ;D Guys at svraceshop are great. very helpful.

·
Registered
213 Posts
f you have a 1st gen SV, i have a resprung/valved aftershocks SRAD shock i can let go for $300 + ship.
How do u know you guys weight the same?   ???

I have an SVraceshop shock w/ racetech piston.  I have also owned two penske 8981s for other bikes.  My SV is track only and I cannot tell a difference over the penske.  I would put my rebuilt gsxr shock up against any penske in a blind test.  The only difference is the penske has more clicks of adjustments here or there, but it's not a big concern to me.

I also have 97mm dogbones for ride height and that takes care of the rear suspension for my track bike.

I'm an intermediate track rider.  Their test riders for svraceshop apparently go much MUCH quicker on them and they still perform well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
606 Posts
We'll make sure your shock works well for you. Be sure to be specific about your weight and intended use. We'll get it a lot closer to correct if we know going in the correct weight and most severe use. Since it doesn't have as much adjustment range as a Penske or Ohlins it is important. We'll be happy to build one for you. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DucOwner said:
We'll make sure your shock works well for you. Be sure to be specific about your weight and intended use.  We'll get it a lot closer to correct if we know going in the correct weight and most severe use.  Since it doesn't have as much adjustment range as a Penske or Ohlins it is important.  We'll be happy to build one for you.  ;)
Thanks. I'll be ordering one tonight :).

·
Registered
476 Posts
i've only had my shock on for a few days, so i can't make a good assessment on "performance" yet, but the guys at svraceshop were super easy to deal with. it took maybe 2 emails at most for the guys to figure out what i needed. and they were very accommodating in shipping to me on short notice.

A+ extra special.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Oh man, now we're screwed, everybody's going to expect quick turnaround! ;) We're pretty backed-up right now after being gone to Grattan for a week, so please bear with us...... we'll be at the shop until midnight every night this week.

·
Registered
176 Posts
jarelj said:
Oh man, now we're screwed, everybody's going to expect quick turnaround! ;) We're pretty backed-up right now after being gone to Grattan for a week, so please bear with us...... we'll be at the shop until midnight every night this week.
so, if i order it today, can i have one by tomorrow? :p

·
Registered
200 Posts
jarelj said:
I ordered mine almost two weeks ago. No worries here. Patience is a virtue, epsecially for quality :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
FilthyRich said:
I ordered mine almost two weeks ago. No worries here. Patience is a virtue, epsecially for quality :)
Thanks, we're still catching up after our week-long trip to Grattan. We're hoping to have our heads fully above water by the weekend..... ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts