Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my third bike, '00 SV650, last Monday. Then rode it ~80 miles home in 25° weather. That was a very bad idea even though the bike has hot grips. Since the ride home was more painful than fun I decided to take the SV for a short ride the next day (it was sunny and a bit warmer). In less than 10 miles I managed to wreck, lowside. I blame it on the old crappy Dunlop 208s in combination with the cold weather. So, now I am on the hunt for replacement parts for a bike I have only ridden twice. Hopefully I will get more pleasant ride when my Pilot Powers come in.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Blame it on the tires and the cold weather huh... got on your flame suit?

That sucks you dumped her tho - how bad is the damage?

·
Registered
160 Posts
ha sometimes i blame my **** car for driving so fast when i get pulled over. eh. too bad you dumped it but come now...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Best insurance you can ever get for your bike and for you is good tires. Dunlop 208's suck in the cold, especially stocker Dunlop 208's. You made a good decision in buying Pilot Powers, they will prevent A LOT of future crashes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Best insurance you can ever get for your bike and for you is good tires. Dunlop 208's suck in the cold, especially stocker Dunlop 208's. You made a good decision in buying Pilot Powers, they will prevent A LOT of future crashes.
Yeah, I did some diggin' and found that seems to be that case with the 208s. Of course I did that after I dumped the bike.

I had PPs on my CBR and loved them in all weather conditions so, it was an easy decision to get them for the SV.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Blame it on the tires and the cold weather huh... got on your flame suit?

That sucks you dumped her tho - how bad is the damage?
Here is the worst of the damage. Wasn't too bad really.

Dent in tank

Scratch in tank

Scratch on fender

Brake pedal snapped off

And the crap tire. I didn't know it was this worn until after the wreck. My fault for not checking it out better when I bought it. Oh well new Pilot Powers sitting in the basement waiting to be put on.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I refuse to ride when the fun factor is "0". 25degrees and it would be "0" for me quick.

Looks like you didn't get a lot of damage. I'd be putting on some Woodcraft rearsets now if it were me. :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I refuse to ride when the fun factor is "0". 25degrees and it would be "0" for me quick.

Looks like you didn't get a lot of damage. I'd be putting on some Woodcraft rearsets now if it were me. :D
Yeah it was supposed to just be a quick 5 mile ride. Not long enough for the cold to ruin it. Would def. put some Woodcrafts on if I had the money. I basically emptied my savings buying the bike and now trying to replace parts. :(

lol any tire well have no grip if you let them get that bad.
When I picked it up the tire was rotated so, I didn't notice what was pictured. I knew they were bad and needed to be replaced. Guess next time I should check the tires out a bit better.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Here is the worst of the damage. Wasn't too bad really.

Dent in tank

Scratch in tank

Scratch on fender

Brake pedal snapped off

And the crap tire. I didn't know it was this worn until after the wreck. My fault for not checking it out better when I bought it. Oh well new Pilot Powers sitting in the basement waiting to be put on.
Doesn't look too bad. At least you made it put o.k.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Bummer. Similar deal here with my son's bike, an '01 SV650S- blue like yours;) Had it less than a week and laid it over. So far... replaced forks, lower triple clamp, shifter assembly, front fender, front rim, and bearings. Total cost to date for repair parts- $589.00.

Tip... look here for parts, then ebay. Bike bandit has OEM, but the price is OEM too, all based on limited recent experience :rolleyes:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bummer. Similar deal here with my son's bike, an '01 SV650S- blue like yours;) Had it less than a week and laid it over. So far... replaced forks, lower triple clamp, shifter assembly, front fender, front rim, and bearings. Total cost to date for repair parts- $589.00.

Tip... look here for parts, then ebay. Bike bandit has OEM, but the price is OEM too, all based on limited recent experience :rolleyes:
Yeah, my last bike was a F3 that came with some previous owner damage. I found that MRCycles.com has lower prices on OEM stuff than BikeBandit.com. Ebay has def. become my friend. We have a local salvage yard too, but they tend to be pricey. I think I was lucky to only come out with what little damage I had. Almost more expensive to replace my gear than the bike parts.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
My worst lowside/tuck was with the da mn stock dunflops ... they are like hockey pucks on ice if you just touch that front brake wrong. I pulled them off with only 2k miles on them and gave them away free, just pay shipping.

The PP's and P-Roads NEVER were unpredictable in the cold ... NEVER.

And when I say cold, it is below freezing, usually in the '20F range.

Good move on your part, been there and done that. The tires will make a difference in this case.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My worst lowside/tuck was with the da mn stock dunflops ... they are like hockey pucks on ice if you just touch that front brake wrong. I pulled them off with only 2k miles on them and gave them away free, just pay shipping.

The PP's and P-Roads NEVER were unpredictable in the cold ... NEVER.

And when I say cold, it is below freezing, usually in the '20F range.

Good move on your part, been there and done that. The tires will make a difference in this case.
Amen to that. Rode my F3 through the winter (16° was the coldest I remember riding in) with Pilot Powers and I could always tell what they were doing. With this wreck it was just like you said like I hit ice.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
D220's 4 LYFE yo! Werd.

It sucks you crashed but honestly, if you emptied your savings buying a bike you didn't check over well enough to notice a tire that looks like that you might be in for bigger problems down the road. Get some new rubber on that thing and give it a good checking out before you swing a leg over again.

I run stock D220's during the year to commute on and I run Pilot Powers at the track or when we head to the mountains or something. I run the 220's to work and there is a road that I am way too comfortable with and I push them hard. They hold up but I've had them move around a lot on me lately and it's because the tread is almost gone. If you give them a chance to warm up and make sure they have some rubber they will hold pretty good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts