Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a bit over the top but here goes...

Now i did some research on my SV and it seem that a turbo is outta the equasion, but i did find a 744cc Big bore and a stroker kit. Now what i needa know is if there is anyone that has done a Fuel injection conversion to their 1st gen successfully, and if so would i needa get bigger CC injectors or will the stockers put out enough( i know ill needa remap the system ) or is carbing fine. What would be the pros. and cons. of each, now im also doing these mods on a second engine altogether, and leaving my oem engine completely stock as a back up, gimme yalls input. This is going to be my winter project so ill do a write up on my project as it goes, Thanx in advance

-DMC

ps please dont say im wasting my time and money, i get enough of that with my car mods.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I waste lots of time and money on silly stuff, so you get no guff from me. I don't know how big the injectors need to be for a big bore and stroker kit, but I don't see why you couldn't put 2nd gen injection onto your motor without too much trouble.

I intend to put a 2nd gen motor, including injection into a 1st gen frame to build a superbike one of these days. Why not just use the 2nd gen frame. Because I don't like the way 2nd gen frames look. For the time being, I'm rebuilding and rewiring a 1991 (kinda) Husqvarna 610 and turning it into a daily commuter/motard/dualsport/anything else you want to do bike. It would be cheaper, quicker, and probably more successful to just buy a newer bike, but there's no challenge in it. So, you see, you aren't the only one who is nuts.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol my nickname around my friends is Willey Coyote, i took a 93 warrior 350 and fabed a set of tracks on the rear, and put a mr2 turbo engine in my 96 celica. lol well you get the pic...

-DMC

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
It would be easier to just put a second gen engine into a first gen frame.

Others have thought of putting injectors onto their first gen engines (I'm one of them) but the changes are a huge pain in the arse.

Injectors, rotor, electrics, fuel pump, air filters. And that's just the start.

Yes, you can do it. Basically everything that's attached to a second gen engine has to be transplanted. Including some engine internals.

·
Registered
278 Posts
So, from what I have gathered, unless you can weld aluminum, putting 2g injected engine into a 1g frame is not going to happen. A cross member hits the throttle body.

With that said, I am sure many ppl want to put a 2g engine, with injection into their 1g. I am sure whats stopping them is the fabrication necessary.

With enough time and money, anything is possible. Would you mind linking me to the bore kit? And keep in mind, some of the companies offering parts for us are just scams. Just like in the automotive world. I cannot steer you a reputable company because I have not been around long enough, but I am sure someone here will be able too.

Good plan on keeping a spare engine.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
common practice is to get a 2gen motor, ditch the EFI and run the 1gen carbs with a dozen or so other little mods and tricks.. it is probably not worth the effort to stroke it and bore it out.. the tranny is not engineered to deal with another 100cc of power and the extra weight of the bigger crank, you could run into reliability issues..

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the crank isnt bigger on a stroker, it moves the (cant think of the tech term) spot the rods connect to farther outside, and therefore, increasing stroke and torque (its like putting a bigger wrench on a bolt) and having shorter rods to avoid unsightly smiley faces on pistons due to valves

-DMC

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
that is a simple big bore kit.. no stroker crank included.. you should still check the weight of those pistons against stock ones. anything heavier will just cause wear faster..

I think people are putting Hayabusa pistons in the stock SV cylinder... they are supposedly lighter than stock, higher quality and raise the compression... but i dont know this for sure.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the stroker kit is from powrol (sp?), and i was also wondering about raiseing the final drive gear.

-DMC

·
Registered
278 Posts
Do the busa pistons. I think it yields 666cc, however, the pistons are lighter, thus revving faster, thus accelerating faster.

Busa pistons, and twin intake cams, with a full exhaust and mild porting, you will have a quick bike

By raise, I assumer you mean closer to 1:1, IE up in the front, down in the rear? I get confused. I seem to think some ppl mean raise to equal bigger rear sprocket, and lower to mean smaller, and vice versa, just just trying to get it all straight.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
yeah that kit is a huge ripoff...
changing sprockets is simple too.. it just depends on how you want use the bike, freeway flyer is longer gearing or a lower ratio(less teeth on the back sprocket) and canyon bomber is shorter gearing or a higher ratio(more teeth on the back sprocket). Once you know that its not that haard

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i may think about the busa pistons but i am doing the stroker to protect, from what ive read the weakest part of the sv, the crank...

-DMC

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the final gear i was taking about was in the tranny...
sry i'm used to sports compacts more then bikes, i forget you can change the spockets

-DMC

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
the weakness of the crank will not be solved by putting a heavier crank in its place.. what makes it weak is the uber heavy flywheel putting a bunch of stress on the crank bearing... the best thing to do would be to have the stock crank with badass carillo conn rods and Busa pistons all balanced and blueprinted... and some sort of aftermarket flywheel.. if its even available

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the crank cant withstand a turbo imho that means its weak...

-DMC

·
Registered
278 Posts
What does the stock one weigh? I would imagine something like 6lbs.

Just because it cant "take" boost doesnt mean its weak. It just means that it was not designed to have positive pressure. I am sure they take to N/A mods all day. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok just answer 2 questions, why do yall say big bore and stroker not worth it, has anyone ever done this?

and what wouldd it take to beat a gsxr 750? 1000?

-DMC

1 - 20 of 47 Posts