Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
There are a few things to look at. Some people prefer the feel of one bike to another. I run faster lap times on my 2nd gen but I thought the 1st gen felt better.

The bigger factor in my mind is fuel injection vs carburetors. I was always have trouble with my carbs on my 1st gen. I was always fiddling with them, and because of that, my reliability went to crap. On my 2nd gen, I have the power commander and it was dyno tuned. I run the quick shifter with it, and by itself, doesn't physically translate into much faster lap times by the quickness of the shifts. It does however let me click a super smooth upshift while I have the bike at full lean (your results may vary).

I see both generations win races. It mainly comes down to the rider.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Personally, I prefer the 1G bike. I have raced both and the 1G chasis feels much better. The tank shape works much better for me as well.

I also prefer the feel of the carbs. If you have troubles with them, let a pro fix it. They should all but be fire and forget. I run FCRs so any OEM CV carb issues are not even in the picture anyway.

But, many do like the 2G bikes. I am just giving my preference.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Gen 1 has a cheaper ability to produce more HP.
Gen 2 will cost MUCH more for the same gains.

That being said, I race a Gen 1 but prefer the handling of a Gen 2.
Also to think about, Gas tanks on both are getting pricey with the gen 1 tanks getting hard to find. (these get beat up in a crash)

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Chassis & handling wise: It really comes down to rider preference but many accomplished riders say the Gen 1 has a very slight advantage.

Power wise: Out of the box - Gen 2 has the advantage. Built - Gen 1 has the advantage.

Bottom line: either flip a coin or ride both & decide for yourself.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
I have always liked the parts availability of 2G's and now that Gen 1's are over 10 years old, some stuff can be hard to find. Gen 1's have stronger cranks, 05-06 were the best years of the 2G's.

I am with the other guys though - pick what you like.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
just buy a bimota :icon_biggrin:

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
I have only raced a gen 1 and can tell you I pull on 2nds with no motor work even the guys with built SVs swear I have done work but it is stock ! I have an old school mech who knows how to get the most outta a stock bike but gearing on different tracks makes a huge difference somes riders never figure that into the equation ! I guess it all depends on your preference FI or carbs but like Indetrucks said cheaper HP is made from a gen 1 !

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I have only raced a gen 1 and can tell you I pull on 2nds with no motor work even the guys with built SVs swear I have done work but it is stock ! I have an old school mech who knows how to get the most outta a stock bike but gearing on different tracks makes a huge difference somes riders never figure that into the equation ! I guess it all depends on your preference FI or carbs but like Indetrucks said cheaper HP is made from a gen 1 !
You are the Marc Marquez of SV racers..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts