Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i will soon! have a new sv.:) does anyone have any experience with the zuki gel seat? i was wonderiing if it is worth buying. does it increase your comfort in riding time/distance?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Anything is an improvement, but the general opinion is that the gel is good for cheap. Takes some time to break in, and gets really hot when it sits in the sun. The Sargent is very expensive, but is very comfy and preferred on the S model due to the way u sit. The corbin is also expensive and comfy, but preferred for the naked due to the way it cups u and pushes u back some which goes well with the naked upright bars. U could always shave the seat and add some sort of foam or gel on ur own. If u screw up a new seat isn't too expensive, specially since ur gonna spend the money anyway. Last u could send it to greatdaytoride.com or one of those places that will make the seat for u. Can't remember the name of the other place. Heard they do a great job to for somewhere in the range of 70-100 bucks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a gel seat on my 01... my ass is usually quite happy. When I rode 15+ hours in a day my ass sure hurt by the end of it, and the next day a little, but overall I couldn't be more pleased with my seat.

·
Registered
476 Posts
my opinion might chage after i put more miles on, but for now i'm sticking to the stock seat. to me it's like a bicycle saddle. if you're off your bicycle for a while your bum bone will sore for the first week as you get used to it again, even with padded shorts or a softer seat. kind of the same way with the stock sv seat. i rode for most of the day for the first time since late october, and noticed a sore bum the next day. but that will disappear once the weather warms up and i ride more regularly. i don't remember having a sore arse last fall.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I like my Suzuki gel seat so far. As already said anything is an improvement over the OEM lump of concrete. I still use a sheep skin cover over it also. I am yet to do 8+ hour stint in the saddle everyday for a week or so but it does show promise. I just was not going to fork out the $$$ for a Corbin or a Sargent and this was a good comprimise.

I also bought the SO a gel pad for the passenger seat which she absolutely loves.

Pictures on my web site here ... http://sv650.metromain.net/index.php?x=gel_seats

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I have a gel on mine, I liked it so much I put one on the wife's bike. She doesn't like it, says it got a hard rim where it meets the tank and is uncomfortable. Had me put the stocker back on, and said she liked that much better. I personally think it just isn't broken in yet, since I just got it. We have only been able to get out and ride 3 times since I put it on. I'm thinking come spring/summer and the warmer temps she might like it more. I would put mine on her bike, but I have a K3 1000, and she has a K7 650, so they don't fit the same.

·
Registered
647 Posts
i love my gel seat. lot more stiff so its more comfortable for the long rides. as trunkmonkey said it does get very hot when its sitting out in the sun, but thats the only complaint i have about the seat. would definately recommend it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
love the Suzuki gel seat was a huge improvement over the stock one unless it sits in full sun for more than a couple of hours if that happens you will need asbestos underwear!!!!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I have an 07 gel and hated it. In fact, I didn't know that it was a gel until I removed it to do my own seat foam mod. I ended up sending it to Spencers for him to mod..now its fine. Would have cost me less if it had been the OEM non-gel seat. I found the original gel to be hard and poorly shaped. Just send your seat to Spencers and tell him what the problem is. You'll have a better seat "in the end".

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have an 07 gel and hated it. In fact, I didn't know that it was a gel until I removed it to do my own seat foam mod. I ended up sending it to Spencers for him to mod..now its fine. Would have cost me less if it had been the OEM non-gel seat. I found the original gel to be hard and poorly shaped. Just send your seat to Spencers and tell him what the problem is. You'll have a better seat "in the end".
+1
I just took a ride on the new seat modded from Spencer and it is a night and day difference. For $68 plus shipping it was by far the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Dont get it you wont be any happier, its softer but bulkier and looks funny in person. its cheaper just to bring you seat to a local auto / boat upholsterior in your ghetto they will do what ever ya want and make it very nice, memory foam/ gell wahetever for prob less the 100 bucks.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I put a quick 100 miles on the Spencer modded seat and am very impressed. The "LD" upgrade is definitely worth it. It now has some shape to it with different densities of foam. My seat was shipped and returned in a week and was only $75 for the mod and the LD upgrade.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have the gel seat and I think it is far better than stock but not the greatest. My stock ZRX seat was better than the SV gel.

Stock seat uncomfortable within 10 miles,
Gel seat uncomfortable within 100 miles.

I hear mostly good things about the Sargent and Spencer Seat Mod (may ship my stocker to him).

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a gel seat and agree that it is much better than the stock, but I am about to get rid of it to try something else. Either the Spencer mod or a Sargent.

I'm not a big fan of how it looks, and I think something else might be even more comfortable. I'm most likely going to let mine go cheap since it has a small worn section where it touches the tank on the bottom front. And a section of the sewing on the top is starting to look questionable. If anyone is interested, let me know.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just installed Suzuki gel seat and went for a ride, I noticed right away that my rear is not in pain after riding for 30 minutes where with the stock seat I kept moving around.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts