Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been reading post after post, thread after thread and this group is awesome. I have a 2001 SV650 and it is kicking my ass. The bike has literally made me lose a pint of blood (AR state bird)a night for almost a month now...I kid you not. The engine will not start up at all, I have replaced every aspect of the carbs, the stupid ass fuel pump, all vacuum/fuel lines, plugs, coils, fuel, ignition, choke/throttle cables, followed synchronizing protocols when rebuilding carbs, new oil, breather, petcock, and everything else I have read could cause a no start...plugs are firing, plenty of compression, fuel is flowing, choke tried and failed, starter fluid into breather, direct to carbs, you name it I've tried it. The damn thing hates me, with a passion and I have a 2007 Kawasaki 250 with 11.8 miles on it and just won't give up on the SV. I have a complete replacement engine for the SV sitting beside it, I am at my wits end...what am I missing. The stator is brand new, the stupid ass over charging kill your ecm box thingy has been replaced, I have 3 ecms i can interchange if needed. Does anyone live in AR, I will pay good money if you can start this bastard...I have never peraonally seen/heard it run. Lots of videos and audio recordings but the bike might as well be brand new with all these new parts. I'm not insane and I know there is an issue if the bike will not start with starting fluid, it turns over and over but just wont fire up. Should I remove the damn mufflers again and see if that might be stopped up or something, can the exhaust be too short? Any advice, comments, moments of silence, recommendations, or common sense items I may have missed would be greatly appreciated. What I need is a new set of eyes and ears but taking this bike to any local shop is just gonna be a waste of time and I had rather give my money to someone that works on SV's than Harley all day.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If I was closer I’d come get her running.
Spark,fuel and combustion...It should run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, so I completely tore down the carburetors...again...cleaned everything out again, got a new battery...again, replaced the choke cables again, pulled the plugs and checked for spark...again...all for nothing fuel in flowing, bike has great spark, starter fluid isnt even making it run for a moment...what else can I do? Haul to a bike mechanic and wait...got it...thanks...ok, so on to the tires and upgrade rectifier for when I sell this POS so I can go get a FZ6 or something that runs, what would you suggest for this southern AR weather?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Miss of some ground wiring of any component.
You said it has compression, but is it matching specification?
Was this engine rebuilt? Maybe it could be out of point.
Check if you didn't put coil one in the plug of coil 2.
Sure is some small thing to be fixed.
Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Engine is original just sat up, I traded for the bike, garage kept 30k on the engine, I replaced all the basics I would do on any 2001 bike just for piece of mind on the road, carbs were bad fuel was bad, tank was alright but still cleaned and cleared. I replaced all the things listed previously and topped off with fresh fuel. Replaced TPS I noticed I hadn't mentioned previously. Lights up dash like a Christmas Tree, no codes, haven't noticed a N (green) light but may not have one I'm not sure on this model. I'm just frustrated at this point, taken alot of pointers from this page, vacuum diagrams are spot on, coil connections, checked and rechecked not to mention replaced, put a different rectifier on due to over charge issue conversation, bought 3 ECM replacements at once just in case it had happened. I have restored 5 bikes in 2020 and this one is just kicking my hind quarters. I've turned wrenches my entire life and anything with fuel, fire, and compression should run...I can't fathom what would keep this bike from running like it did on day one. I had full intention on keeping this bike even at my age, but I'm missing something very simple and that's the worst part, dumping money into a project is to be expected, but at some point it becomes a money pit. I would be insane to keep dumping at this point, this is new bike down payment money I'm approaching. I will be taking to a local bike shop Tuesday for an extra set of eyes, but I hate that I couldn't find a solution on my own. I do appreciate the intel I have received on my daily rants.

·
Registered
873 Posts
The no,"N" might be a clue. Have you tried shorting the Clutch lever switch? It's a safety feature that prevents the bike being started without the Lever being pulled in. My 99 came with it bypassed by the PO and I'm used to not having this safety feature anyway.

HTH :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
In the 1999 hayabusa, if you remove the tps sensor, it will only be possible to turn the bike on by putting a scanner on it. I also think weird that this 2001 bike is carburator, but it is not the case.
My mechanic told me about a pulsator, witch helps generating power to the coils, and if it is dirty, the bike won't turn on, I don't know if 1st gen have it or not.
What the friend above said makes all sense about not having the neutral light. This is definitely a point of attention.
Have you checked the troubleshooting area of the service manual? While I had my previous hayabusa this helped me a lot.
Good luck man

1 - 9 of 9 Posts