Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a sv 1000 2005 64600 kilometers i have had the battery go flat so ive ordered a new R/R but i think it will be the stator its not charging at 14 odd volts at 5000 RPM but i will replace the R/R first and see, so i went for a ride today and when i got home i noticed the tail light remained on so i tinkered with the brake switch with no luck so i turned the bike on and off and it seemed to go away for now ,

So my question is i guess is this a regular problem after reading through your forums the sv seems to be pretty regularly having some electrical issue and i have lost confidence in it the last thing i want is to check the bike every time i go some where or be let down outback ! :)

I really am not sure where to start with the electrics can anyone give me some advice on what to do here plz it would be much appreciated thank you.:worship:

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Welcome to the SV World!:) If I were you, I'd pull the left side cover off and make sure all the magnets on the rotor are in place. They tend to fall off some bikes for some reason and will cause the charging system to not work. The RR's on the 1K's don't fail all that often...at least not like the 1st Gen 650's did...so I'd hold off changing it until the rotor health is verified.

The rear light will stay on if you turn the key one too many clicks past the left-lock position. MANY an owner has killed the battery by leaving the parking lights on accidentally. If it hasn't happened again...watch the ignition switch position in the future to prevent it.

The SV1K is a pretty stout beast....but one with several weak spots just like almost any machine will have. We know about most of them, and they ARE fixable.:) So don't despair that you have bought a bike that will constantly break on you. It won't...once you get it sorted and fixed properly.

You've got some miles on it...so be prepared to work on it a bit and you'll get many, many miles in the future. Check that rotor first so you don't throw good parts after bad and get the charging system in good working order. You'll be able to inspect the stator once you pull the cover too. Bad coils normally show themselves with black-burntness as well as failing the resistance/continuity tests in the manual. You DO have a manual...yes? If not....it is important and a necessity for the owner who works on his/her own bike.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ty very much ill put the fuel can and match away now :eek:ccasion14: tested the stator yep it looks like its gone its only putting out 25 volts not 75 volts so i should have a spare R/R now too lol.

I didnt get a manual when i bought it but i have downloaded one and that will help me great deal .

Ty very much for your help much appreciated. See you with my next issue :blob8:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
5000 rpm. Took it to the bike shop they tested up the same stator no good . Annoyed cause i should have saved the money for a new one cant find any in Aus at least 3 weeks from Japan or America .

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Did they pull the cover and verify the magnets are all securely fastened in place? When they come loose it won't charge properly and can fool you into thinking the stator is bad. Unless the stator failed the resistance testing you might still be having a rotor problem rather than the stator. You have to pull the cover anyhow...and you shouldn't be riding it without it charging...so I'd go ahead and look under the cover.

The rotors were on back-order a few months ago as the place that builds them was swept away in the tsunami that hit Japan....or so they said. Just trying to help you find the correct solution and not have you wait for a stator then pull the cover and say 'oh sh..'.;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

[/IMG]

I pulled it apart myself and Magnets seem fine and stuck down one of the stator rib thingies has resign burst out one side and is very back there was small pieces of copper wire loose as well in the cover not much though..

Having a lot of trouble locating one none listed from japan only ones avail are from America but after the storm i dunno what to do any help is much appreciated also cant find any sv"s being wrecked in Australia Grrrr !. The bike shop recon $638 just for part and get this from Japan ? . Its been two weeks so far waiting for my sprockets and chain and R/R no sign of them yet .

Noob question , there is a gap in the magnets it doesn't look like anything has been there is this normal ?

Great Advice RecoilRob TY very much mate.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Could you put up a bigger picture of the rotor? Looks like the magnets have slipped on the upper ones in yours. The gaps should be equal all the way around. If all the gaps aren't equal...you need to work on the rotor too.

But....looking at a fuzzy blowup of your pic....I think you can glue them back in proper place and save the rotor.:) Short of time right now, let me get to work and I'll post up a 'how to' tonight with the proper adhesive to use and the procedure.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Again RecoilRob your the Man ! yes the Magnets have slipped not all but about one half of them .

I will upload or try to upload another of the rotor if so do u think it needs replacing too ? Again mate very much appreciate your time and advice.

Best i can do with the pics might be worth trying the reset of magnets then putting it back together and see.Look forward to you showing me how its done and what to use ty.

The 3 from the left in a row to the top have moved or come unglued .It looks like they have left a tail of glue between each magnet you can see at the bottom (if not too blury ) where it has moved away and closed the gap of the first 3 magnets . If they are not even spaced would this make such a difference with the charge ?

Just a note too what i thought was copper pieces in the housing when i first opened it may have been the ****ty orange appoxy not the coil as i cant find any missing copper coil .

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43261&page=2 .....has a decent 'how to' on repairing the magnets with JB Weld. Don't know if it is available Down Under?

http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39381&highlight=adhesive+magnets&page=7 Check out the last page....a fellow researched and came up with the proper scientifically correct adhesive to stick them on right proper!:) Would be interesting for you to read a bunch of the threads on the magnets coming loose....and you'll see why I was so adamant that you check yours. But....if they are still there and not all broken up, you are ahead of the game compared to many and can repair them better than new.

If some have come loose...they ALL are loose, or going to be soon so get them off...clean everything up and stick them back on. Do it right and you'll not have to worry again about them....AND save a couple hundred bucks US$.:)

It sucks to be so far away, but patience will be rewarded here with a dependable bike. The stuff you need will get to you eventually. Look at all the advantages of living in your lovely Country. Waiting on delivery is a minor setback...and in the case of the rotor you'll get your adhesive and be riding for months (or more) before they get the factory back together that makes them. That is also why I try to recommend that everyone check their magnets in the hope that they can catch them early (like you) before they catch the stator and grind a big pile of trouble in the cases.

Best of luck to you on the repair, and happy to help you my Brother.:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If i get over to your home land RecoilRob oll give you a big kiss mate like a wallaby drinking out of a Billabong ! :hug:

Everything Glued and waiting a couple of days for the glue to dry then put her back together and try her out i hope its the trick mate .( still a bit concerned but thats me )

Again TY very much cheers for your time and knowledge :vroom:

Found the JB Glue took me 7 places but i got it .

Now where did all these bolts go again hmmmm !.

Ill let you know the result soon.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
went for an hours ride idle has changed a little theres a little miss after it idles for a bit like its wants to stall but doesnt .Might be me but the bike does seem to run a lot smoother going up the gears but i did change the oil as well.The Battery was reading 12.5 volts after the ride .

Battery Leak Test - 1.80ma

Regulated Voltage 5000RPM + to - 11.89v

Generator Coil Resistance 1.2

Generator no load Test 73.5v (did get to 80 for a second also found a slight bare bit to the wire i lekky tapped that up)

Have done R/R test before came up all good but according to the manual test you test B1 to B2 etc that came up zero the rest read at .649 or .530 i am going to ride it see what happens until my R/R arrives (if not caught in LA ) just couldn't face doing another unclip and test today.pain in the butt by yourself :( and no beer !

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Placed brand new stator on still charging at 11.97 volts smashing plates now ! so it must be the stator.
Do you mean RR? If all the magnets are in place, and a fresh stator installed....you've not much else left.:) There have been some cases of the wiring being smoked when things go wrong within the charging system, but these things should be pretty obvious I'd think.

If everything else is good now.....the RR is looking like the last piece of the puzzle, and it would make sense that it is bad. We'll find out soon, yes?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Sorry RecoilRob placed a brand new R/R and it did not fix it still charging at 11.97 volts ,so i have replaced the magnets (reset them anyway ) but did not replace the stator rotor hoping that it was the magnet problem but obviously it was only part of the problem the next step will be to replace the stator rotor i guess its the only thing left i hope .

Going to check around Aus first to see if i can locate one if not another 200 Aussie dollars and another couple of weeks to get it really dont know whether to just order a whole new Magneto assembly so its all shiney new but looking at more like 5- 600 dollars for that.

PS: Giving the Guy i bought it from a little visit tomorrow ive got a couple of spare plates for him !

Tried resizing but this is the stator hope you can enlarge it to see the bit that looks burnt out .Try and copy image URL the opening it in picasa3 and enlarging :).

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Oh...we've seen pics of black coils before! When they be black, they be bad.:( I'm sorry I thought you'd replaced it already. But....good news! A good stator should fix you up.:) There were several places online selling them...have you done a search? Being out of the Country does muck things up a bit with some vendors it seems. You are almost there, and the results will be worth the effort you are putting into it.

Edit: Have you seen this? http://www.electrosport.com/street-...7-01/stator-suzuki-tl1000s-tl1000r-98-03.html

Some of the Portal guys have used these (I think) and it's $100+US cheaper than the Factory Suzuki part. If I find a better/cheaper part, I'll post it for you.

http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/c...tator?osCsid=462314f851b199a77f668fbe9d8d5894

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0097DNUZS/ref=asc_df_B0097DNUZS2251540/?tag=becomcom00611-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B0097DNUZS&linkCode=asn[/ame] Getting cheaper!

http://www.rmstator.com/en/SV1000S/GENERATOR-STATOR/RM01014-4.aspx Still shopping! How low can we go?:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheers RecoilRob checked them out and nearly ordered one from the first link last night but i have sourced one in Australia second hand though will be here in a couple of days it cost $260 ! in Australia (about $200 brand new from America ! which doesn't make sense really but ?) but me being so impatient i spent the extra to have it here ASAP not that money is something i have very much of :( ,so i shall put it in when it arrives and i will be waiting patiently like a dog at the door until it arrives lol.

Will let you know as soon as its in and tested again cheers Bud much appreciated again and thanks for the offer to send one for me cant thank you enough at this point mate lets hope the one im getting is ok .

To be Continued ........

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sprockets and all fitted but my 108 link chain is about two or three links short so i wait again :( ill try and get some links for it but in my town i know whats gunna happen ...........

1 - 20 of 24 Posts