Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
836 Posts
That's definitely Kid Thunder...


If it's any consolation...I don't think your form's all that bad...just too fast for the street and not enough hanging(I pose the question...should you be turning so fast that it requires hanging off on the street?).


I'm glad you made it out ok....and I certainly am not going to dog you for getting into a wreck which you gained a lot of knowledge/experience from.

Take it easy...ride safe.

-Ben.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah it was Kid Thunder... No worries I have lowsided the exact same way (except I was fortunate enough to slide off the road instead of into a car). I have since practiced the whole hanging off thing and have gotten a lot faster using less lean. It also gives you more reserve for moving out of the way of unseen obstacles. Sometimes the only way to learn you are riding outside of your limits is to bust a$$.

-josh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
720 Posts
People always kind of give me crap because I hang off - I honestly feel its a safer and more controlable way around a corner, sure my bike doesnt have crazy lean angles going on, but my CG is lower and the bike is more upright so there is a lot less chance of lowsiding or having a slide turn into a highside. I dont hang off because I am going at a much higher speed than the people I ride with who dont hang off, our speeds are similiar, however I have room to acclerate or if needed scrub some speed, whereas they are already maxed out on lean angle by not hanging off....plus its just so much more fun
 
K

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
thejimdaddy said:
you're famous KT ;D
get er done red neck style......
deffiantly a bad fall.
i am getting mixed opinions on my form.
i have herd that you do and dont need to hang off.
personaly i dont like to i am not comfortable with it. probably because i dont have the technique down yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
836 Posts
Storz said:
People always kind of give me crap because I hang off - I honestly feel its a safer and more controlable way around a corner, sure my bike doesnt have crazy lean angles going on, but my CG is lower and the bike is more upright so there is a lot less chance of lowsiding or having a slide turn into a highside.  I dont hang off because I am going at a much higher speed than the people I ride with who dont hang off, our speeds are similiar, however I have room to acclerate or if needed scrub some speed, whereas they are already maxed out on lean angle by not hanging off....plus its just so much more fun
No, I agree with you...leaning off is good. However, I don't feel like you should be in a situation where hanging off is the only way to complete a turn. Do you see the difference I'm trying to make?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,209 Posts
Storz said:
People always kind of give me crap because I hang off - I honestly feel its a safer and more controlable way around a corner, sure my bike doesnt have crazy lean angles going on, but my CG is lower and the bike is more upright so there is a lot less chance of lowsiding or having a slide turn into a highside.  I dont hang off because I am going at a much higher speed than the people I ride with who dont hang off, our speeds are similiar, however I have room to acclerate or if needed scrub some speed, whereas they are already maxed out on lean angle by not hanging off....plus its just so much more fun
+1 to that... if you want to ride a brisk pace through the twisites... I feel its much safer to lean off and create less lean angle. Sure... some say that is riding too quick for street but... if you can't slow down more for corners... then you need to learn to work the bike for the pace you are traveling. I have been on group rides when we encountered a decreasing radius turn that was not apparent right away and those who counter-steer are the ones that usually get caught and either wreck or nearly wreck because they didn't feel comfortable leaning it over anymore to make the smaller radius. When I hang off... I always have extra room to account for this and still can keep a good pace. IMHO sitting upright and counter-steering is great for riding a cruiser or riding a sport bike at a cruiser pace but if you want to ride like a racer... then you have to emulate the riding style to do it properly and safely.
 
K

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
for everyone that does not want to click the link here you go (look its me,,, sliding)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,399 Posts
toobrokeforthat said:
Ok looking at the pic you posted I have one question. Do ya have a new respect for how big a chevy 1500 might really be?
or for your front brake? squeeze, dont grab :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
720 Posts
Ben_JamminVFCC said:
No, I agree with you...leaning off is good. However, I don't feel like you should be in a situation where hanging off is the only way to complete a turn. Do you see the difference I'm trying to make?

100% I absolutly dont "need" to hang off I just do
 

·
site supporter
Joined
·
6,095 Posts
Eh,  . . . Nice pic, but you only get a 7.5 from the Romanian jusdge.
I have to admit (boast?) I had much better form when I went down in June.  :-[ You can ask orangegilly. 
I got lots more forward arm extension and much better body/bike separation for  that "Asphalt Superman Slider" effect.  :eek:   But keep working KT. You're young; you've got lots of sliding time ahead of you.  ;)
Ride well and be happy. Be happy.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,209 Posts
Kid Thunder said:
for everyone that does not want to click the link here you go (look its me,,, sliding)
glad you are ok man.... that could have been pretty nasty ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
Fatass SVS said:
Eh,  . . . Nice pic, but you only get a 7.5 from the Romanian jusdge.
I have to admit (boast?) I had much better form when I went down in June.  :-[ You can ask orangegilly. 
I got lots more forward arm extension and much better body/bike separation for  that "Asphalt Superman Slider" effect.  :eek:   But keep working KT. You're young; you've got lots of sliding time ahead of you.  ;)
Ride well and be happy. Be happy.
i could have probably given you a run for your money when i wrecked there last year. i lowsided and proceeded to do 3 or 4 barrel rolls while my bike did one on its own. come to think of it, it was almost like a sychronized olympic event. but unfortunately they don'r give out medals for making an a$$ of yourself. :-[

i will always remember the turn just south of mile marker 6. and in a month i'll get a chance to actually make the turn like i had been doing earlier that fateful day.
 
K

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
toobrokeforthat said:
Ok looking at the pic you posted I have one question. Do ya have a new respect for how big a chevy 1500 might really be?
;D my dads truck is a 2004 gmc 1500
 
1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Top