Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 SV650 was not running properly for some reason. It seemed to pull fine up to about 9k rpm or so and then flat. I was only able to get 110mph top speed. Then the motor started making loud rattling noises and lost power. I went up the thruway just far enough to get off the nearest exit. Motor was rattling like crazy then died.

It would not immediately start and seemed to be having trouble turning over. Later on, it did start and ran for a few seconds and then made a clack and died again. Again would not start. Seemed to be having interferance.

I drained the oil and found remnants of silver colored metal chips and a few shavings. Anyone have any similar experience or ideas here?

If not, anyone know what a used motor should go for? Assuming I can find one? thanks :(

·
Registered
29 Posts
the one that died is toast. should be able to fix it dependding on what is damaged. price on a used engine i have no answer for that.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Your motor is toast.
I bet you can get a used motor on Ebay for under $500.

You should be able to part your motor out and get a couple hundred bucks for it.

PS. did you use to wheelie your bike? I'm not looking to heckle you, I'm just curious if your bike could be another casualty of dreaded oil starvation...

·
Registered
53 Posts
It does sound like oil starvation could have led to the failure. Any indication of low oil pressure leading up to the bike dying?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. I've wheelied the bike a lot. Is that a problem with the SV's? Is there a cure for it? Seems odd to me they would make a bike that would suffer from oil starvation when wheelied. Hell, what fun is that?

The bike ran perfectly earlier in the day. Then I stopped to hang with the boyz and watch some booty for awhile and we left for a little ride. Seemed like it was running fine till we got on the thruway. Just didn't seem like it wanted to pull and I found myself downshifting to get more acceleration. Shortly afterwards it started with the knocking and I don't know what all. I was so surprised that I didn't accurately access the symptoms. I suppose I figured it was just something stupid like one plug kicking out or somethin.

Didn't realize it was really bad until I got off the exit ramp and she just died and would not start. Wouldn't even spin freely. I guess I always thought that a suzuki engine would be a long term affair. I mean, heck, I've got close to 75,000 miles on my GSXR1000 with no engine problems whatsoever. That, of course, including wheelies, here, there and the other place. I wouldn't say I abuse my engines. Rarely clutch up a wheely. Usually bounce it up and carry it along.

Anyways. This sucks. This SV has been my favorite bike. I've tooled on expert riders everywhere with it. In the curves it rules unless theres Smotos around in which case you've competion. I even tooled the hell outta guys with the wheelies on that little lion killer. It was the most fun to ride and I will miss it. I assume the crank and rods are smoked and also assume the cost for replacements isn't worth pursuing that so it will most likely be a used motor for me if I can get one for $500 or so. That remains be seen.

Even so... I don't think this is the bike for me that I thought it was if it can oil starve and grenade itself. Thats just poor engineering and I can't believe suzuki would do that. Grrrrrrrrrrr...

Thanks for the responses guys. Be safe. :(

·
Registered
284 Posts
It's definately made for the curves, not the wheelies. Short wheelies are ok but if you ride them out often, your engine is toast. If you want a wheelie monster check out the 954's.

-josh

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I agree curvecrazy... I can't believe they sell a bike that grenades if wheelied.

At least the motors are pretty cheap.

User "TWF" did a write up about putting a 03-05 motor in a 99-02 bike... it seemed pretty bolt-in except you need a 03 exhaust... if you find one cheap and want a few extra HP, you should look up the thread.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was talking to the dealership yesterday. Bitching basically about my plight with this motor. He admitted that the oil pickup is in the front of the SV motor. He says, well, it was designed to be ridden with both wheels on the ground. I'm like, Ohhh? Well, why would you design a motorcycle motor to be ridden only with two wheels on the ground? He had no answer. I said, this is just plain poor engineering. I might expect this from a 1980 blah blah blah but not from a 2002 suzuki motor. Thats really unbelievable. I asked him( parts guy), how is it that you go designing a motor for a motorcycle that will oil starve itself when on one wheel. He said, they probably did it for a reason. I'm like, yeah.... they weren't thinking. I said, seriously. There is a key word you used there. Design. When you design something, you design it to meet the demands of the end user. Since we know the end user will probably wheely the bike, be the bike designed for newer riders or not, would it not behoove us to design it accordingly? Would that not be in our own best interests to make purchasers of SV's(probably beginners no?) loyal to the brand? Presumably so they will be back to buy another suzuki? I would have to think so.

I see no reasonable excuse for this. I went as far as to tell him that he and I could do better than that sitting down and designing a motorcycle motor over beers! He said he didn't know about that. I said, well, rest assured we could!

This is bullshit. I have been riding suzuki's almost exclusively for the last 6 years. Mostly GSXR's. I really liked this SV but frankly I'm so irritated that they screwed me like this that I think I will not buy suzuki again. So thats one very dedicated rider/customer they've lost because they didn't use common sense designing their SV motors. fwiw :(

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
CC- sux about your motor.
Had you done a little bit of research, you would have found that this is a common problem with the SV's, and you could have prevented the situation.
I find that they handle much better on 2 wheels.
perhaps you should just sell it off and get a gixxer.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
curvecrazy said:
He says, well, it was designed to be ridden with both wheels on the ground.  I'm like, Ohhh?  Well, why would you design a motorcycle motor to be ridden only with two wheels on the ground? 
Ahhhh you just made my morning! Sorry about your engine, but this has me crying with laughter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm having a hard time being sympathetic to your problem. It is certainly not Suzuki's problem that you are riding a two wheeled vehicle on one wheel. Do you drive your cage on two wheels? Wheelies may be cool once in a while but if you want a stunt bike you should buy one specifically engineered for the taskand the SV is not that bike.

The SV is marketed as a beginning sport bike that is fun to ride and cheap to buy. Sorry for your problem and I hope you can get a cheap motor soon. Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
excuse me but don't GSXR also have front oil sumps?

N

·
0 Posts
You cannot be serious! It's a STREET bike not a MXer. Why in the world should they design a bike to abused in a manner that will get you a ticket in all 50 states!?!...and it's THEIR fault!?!

It's not poor engineering- you blew up your bike. Just that simple. Wah.

:mad:

·
Banned
363 Posts
Ok... No motorcycle manufacturer designs a bike with Stunta's in mind.

Especially a bike like the SV and the market it is geared towards.

As matter of fact our little SV does so many different things: commuter, racing ect.. But wheelie abuse is not one them. :-\

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
If only you had come to us sooner....the oil starvation problem is well-known in these parts. At least it's a relatively inexpensive fix (for an engine replacement, that is).

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
curvecrazy. Not sure why you felt it was necessary for giving the PARTS GUY a lecture about the design of the SV.
Cuz you know, that dude was totally behind the design and implementation of the motor.

You know what the sad thing is, I bet that isn't the first or second time that PARTS GUY has heard someone b*tching about how their bike is screwed up because they were stunting it.

Let me ask you this, when you see motorcycle commercials (for selling the bike) do they EVER show pictures or video of people doing stunts and wheelies while riding the bike? Uh..NO. Until they make a bike designed for wheelies, no bike is technically designed for wheelies.

I bet as you were bitching out that parts guy, all he was hearing was this...

"Blah blah blah I"m a jackass stunta who don't know sh*t blah blah blah my sh*t don't stink blah blah I have a small penis blah blah blah"

Grow up, dude. You need to learn to take responsibility for your actions and stop blaming people for your own stupid ass mistakes.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
It's not a Suzuki thing, others bikes will grenade too. They were never made to be ridden like that. Maybe if you had a dry sump type motor it would be ok. (Seperate oil tank/oil in frame)  :'( bummer dude

·
Registered
432 Posts
the stranger said:
Let me ask you this, when you see motorcycle commercials (for selling the bike) do they EVER show pictures or video of people doing stunts and wheelies while riding the bike?  Uh..NO. 

Grow up, dude. You need to learn to take responsibility for your actions and stop blaming people for your own stupid ass mistakes.
Umm, you sound like a retard. How does beating this guy down help you? Don't you have anything going for you at all?

I wouldn't have responded but this is an exceptional case of foot in mouth. Honda and Yamaha both have print and tv adds showing their sport bikes on one wheel.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts