Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if they make a center stand for an SV650. I used the search function and never found anything. I can't just lift it up on the stand like I do the DRZ all the time and was wondering how most people remove front and rear wheels if there is not one.

Thx

·
Registered
618 Posts
they have one on twistedthrottle.com, but I personally use a rear stand and 2 4x4 blocks cut to about 12" for the front. You can get nice front and rear stands from T-rex.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Any post write-ups on the center stand? Like it actually doesn't scape when in full lean? The web site says it is designed to not get in the way. Wondering if anyone has one and can second that?

·
Registered
708 Posts
didn't notice you live so close bailey. :p

i don't have a centerstand,... i have read writeups on the webz though that second your question,... it does not in fact get in the way when cornering,..
Any post write-ups on the center stand? Like it actually doesn't scape when in full lean? The web site says it is designed to not get in the way. Wondering if anyone has one and can second that?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Recently bought a 05 with a center stand already on it.
They do come in handy when working on the bike.
As I changed the oil & plugs, cleaned and lubed chain and removed the wheels to have new tires put on, the day after I got it.
It doesn't rub on the groud when leaned over. Well at least when I'm riding. The legs are fairly close together.

You can see how tight it fits when the stand is up in this pic.

·
Registered
708 Posts
lemonhead i also see the handy bar mod on the passenger peg to help get the bike up,... that was done by PO too?

·
Registered
20 Posts
ratking - yeah it was already on the bike. I'd bet it came with the stand.
Handle helps steady & lift the bike when pushing down on the foot pad.
Besides the stand and a gel seat, the bike was stock when I picked it up.
PO was close to you, from Berkeley.

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
I have used the SW Motech centerstand on my 03 for 3 years now. It will not touch down when leaned over no matter what. Your pegs and can will hit before that does.

As far as the lifting handle, I removed mine after a bit. It's just as easy and effective to just grab the front leading edge of the left passenger footpeg bracket.

A few tips:

Always flip your sidestand down first before trying to get your foot up on the centerstand. The sidestand effectively blocks you from getting your toes up on the stand to pull it down.

Once you have your foot on the tab, be VERY carefull before you step down and pull back. The tab your foot presses down on is small and can be oily from chain lube flung off. Just take your time and you're ok.

You can see in this picture here that it is not even close to touching down

·
Registered
414 Posts
Recently bought a 05 with a center stand already on it.
They do come in handy when working on the bike.
As I changed the oil & plugs, cleaned and lubed chain and removed the wheels to have new tires put on, the day after I got it.
It doesn't rub on the groud when leaned over.
It is actually a very handy device. Especially when you don't have luxuriance of a garage. I have a couple of T-Rex cheap stands I used with my CBR F3 (not a good choice) and they take too much space in my already packed storage and already bent pretty bad. I d like to get a center stand for my SV.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Really curious if anyone here has any experience with the installation of an aftermarket center stand. I'd like one, but don't want the installation process to be more than a couple of hours.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Really curious if anyone here has any experience with the installation of an aftermarket center stand. I'd like one, but don't want the installation process to be more than a couple of hours.

I too, have a centerstand. I was the one that installed it. If you don't want it to take more than two hours.....don't get the centerstand. You will not be pleased with what needs to be done, to install it. :p

.....edit....

I'm another vote for it doesn't drag in the corners. You will be dragging other hard parts, before the centerstand drags.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
A few tips:

Always flip your sidestand down first before trying to get your foot up on the centerstand. The sidestand effectively blocks you from getting your toes up on the stand to pull it down.

Once you have your foot on the tab, be VERY carefull before you step down and pull back. The tab your foot presses down on is small and can be oily from chain lube flung off. Just take your time and you're ok.
This is my centerstand that I modified with a small metal rod inserted at the bottom of the left leg. It helps when your trying to press down on the stand.

The piece that I had was just tight enough to need to be gently tapped with a hammer to insert into that small opening in the bottom of the leg. I also used a generous amount of JB Weld to make sure that it would not come loose. This makes it much easier to to use the mainstand now. :fiddy:

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
This is my centerstand that I modified with a small metal rod inserted at the bottom of the left leg. It helps when your trying to press down on the stand.

The piece that I had was just tight enough to need to be gently tapped with a hammer to insert into that small opening in the bottom of the leg. I also used a generous amount of JB Weld to make sure that it would not come loose. This makes it much easier to to use the mainstand now. :fiddy:

interesting

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I too, have a centerstand. I was the one that installed it. If you don't want it to take more than two hours.....don't get the centerstand. You will not be pleased with what needs to be done, to install it. :p

.....edit....

I'm another vote for it doesn't drag in the corners. You will be dragging other hard parts, before the centerstand drags.

+1^^

You're looking at about 2 hours of fiddling to make it happen. I installed the SWMotech stand on my '03 but I don't use it so much around the house, I use my track stands, but since I'm pretty much toured out on my SV, it's great for those on the road adjustments and maintenance.

As far as putting the bike up on the stand...it's a lot harder than what it used to be on the older bikes. There is very little leverage with those short legs so you really got heft it up. It's the ONLY time I dammed near dropped my bike. My vintage caught it while it was on it's center stand. I would have beat the sh!t outta the SV had it marred my Nighthawk!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
No picture but the other day... with the exhaust off i lifted the whole bike on to a steel folding chair, both wheels were off the ground and it was supported from the bottom of the engine and linkage area. I just lifted the rear wheel up real high and my buddy slid a chair under it, when i lowered it down the front wheel lifted.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts