Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone - I'm hoping you guys can help, haven't been on these boards in a few years but I remember everyone being pretty knowledgeable.

Here is the situation, I neglected to put sta-bil in my gas over the winter, and when i started by bike up for the season a month or so ago, it was running less than perfect. I had a lot of backfiring, and just seemed to be a bit sluggish. I was hoping whatever gunk was in the carbs would burn off, but after 2 tanks of gas, that hasn't happened. I have been away a lot so have only rode a few hundred miles at most, but I figured that would be enough if the carbs were going to clean themselves up. So today I decided to clean the carbs myself. I took the carbs out, and then realized I didn't have nearly enough time to take everything apart and clean all the smallest parts (getting dark and I leave town tomorrow morning) and didn't want to have the bike in pieces while I was gone. I cleaned what I could see without taking the carbs themselves apart, and put the bike back together.

I started her up and she seemed to be running OK, a bit better than before but still not great. I threw my gear on and took her for a test ride - oddly enough it was WORSE. There was less backfiring, but I felt like the bike had a turbo-lag, the throttle response was pretty bad, especially around 4-5K.

ANY IDEAS? I can't think of what I might have messed up to change this, I"m reasonably mechanically inclined and am pretty positive i put everything back together correctly, how could a mediocre cleaning of the carbs lead to MORE problems?? Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately time is not something I have these days... anyone know what it should cost to have it done at a shop? ughhh i hate paying people to do stuff I know how to do but I really don't have the time to do it right now.

·
Registered
843 Posts
What is so bad about leaving it apart and working on it over the course of a few nights? Pull em one night, rebuild the next, reinstall on day three and done.

However, I suggest you take one more step in the mean time. The last time I had the exact problem you are describing, it was due to water in the tank. I drained a small portion of gas into a clear jar and a fourth of what was drained was water. I am not sure what it was from, condensation or whatever, but it was in there.

Add a can of berrymans fuel system cleaner (or half a can of seafoam) to a completely drained/refilled tank, and see if it clears up. Seafoam and berrymans both act as a fuel dryer to remove water from gasoline. Autozone even has specific products for drying fuel but I like berrymans and/or seafoam. Wouldn't hurt to drain the bowls before starting either.

You may also check for weather cracked fuel lines that are letting air into the fuel. Total cost for a can of berrymans plus three feet of fuel line will barely be over ten dollars and will be cheap insurance. Shouldn't take more than 2 hours.

·
Registered
95 Posts
What is needed for a carb cleaning? Tools, gaskets, etc
No special tools are required, usually just screwdrivers and/or allen keys. You need some carb cleaner (very strong organic solvent) and the knowledge that you MUST NOT allow any to come in contact with elastomers (seals, o-rings, the diaphragm) or plastic. Usually you'll want to replace the o-rings and seals if it hasn't been done in awhile.

Just google for "carburetor cleaning" and you'll find plenty of howto guides which cover the ins and outs and contain helpful photos.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts