Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not get paid mileage at my current job, rather salary, decent benefits, and maintenance (yes gas and tolls). He was well informed that I only ride motorcycles.

For some reason I have been feeling suspicious about my new employer in his commitment to me to reimburse me maintenance on my bikes.

I feel that my gear should be under maintenance reimbursement. The reasons are because of the amount of miles traveled (700 in one day), they are requiring me to have vehicle insurance(i have it anyways but it is not required here), they are requiring me to wear a helmet(of course i already have one and wear it daily).

Seems like they are using their in the know about my relatively new vehicles and think that maintenance will be nominal. Well, bikes require more maintenance than cars.

I just think that shields, gloves,pants wet/dry, jackets, boots. should be included.

It's not that I want to stick it to them but if I was getting mileage reimbursement in just 5 workdays I would already have a + $900.00 check. Yet my shield is getting beat, along with gloves.

How would you approach them with this? Or would you just put any gear purchases in your expense report?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think you should just be glad you have a job right now. I can't imagine your employer would easily agree to pay for such things under the pretenses of vehicle maintenance. I say go for it and post your results.

I also do a bit of traveling and get no mileage reimbursement. I do however get maintenance costs paid and it's limited to oil changes, air filters, etc...

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I got a peek at a co-workers' expense report and he submitted $1,100 for tires and alignment. And I asked him later about the company covering tires as a follow up and he said yes he gets reimbursed tires.

Sure his exploder.... Explorer will get more mileage on those tires but I on the other hand will not, and no way would it be fair to a biker left to cover their own valve shims(checking or replacement), sprockets, chain, adjustments, TIRES, brakes.

I guess if they say no to the gear then I will just let a shop do ALL my maintenance/adjustments/repairs. Why should I just be comp'd for parts while I get to turn wrenches on the weekends?

Yes I am very grateful to have a job, but I feel that they are taking advantage of me by not reimbursing me mileage.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Yes I am very grateful to have a job, but I feel that they are taking advantage of me by not reimbursing me mileage.
Did they take mileage reimbursement off of you, or did you know when you got hired that they didn't pay mileage? If it's the later, I'm sorry but they are not taking advantage of you. You knew what you were getting into when you took the job.

I can't see anyone paying for new jackets and boots, but would fully expect them to cover tires, oil changes, etc. since they say vehicle maintenance. I agree get work done at the shop so you get receipts so they can't question the work.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me rephrase this. I knew mileage was not going to be reimbursed, But I have yet to hear what extent of Maintenance they are going to cover.
My concern is we all know bikes are not like cars, things need tightened and checked WAY more frequently than cars. Look at our valve check intervals for instance. I never owned/read about a "non- exotic" car/truck needing valves check at the low mileage bikes require/recommend right?

Timing chain/adjusters need checked more often than cars,etc...

I feel like they may be taking advantage of me by not yet specifying what maintenance is, so I get no milieage comp. and am in the dark in regards as what they are offering to consider vehicle maintenance . Does that make more sense, sorry just tired right now .

I think ALL my required/recommended services and ALL repairs should be reimbursed since they have chosen to opt out of offering me mileage. They still make out cheaper this way.

I think I should make a copy of the maintenance/service schedule and attach it to my expense report.This way they will know I am not just trying to get some free stuff done to my bike and they will also have forehand knowledge of what costs will be coming up in future expense reports. What do you think?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I agree with Coop that you should have the work done in a shop so you can provide receipts. Attaching the maintenance/work schedule for you bike is a great idea.

You should also take a copy of the expense/reimbursement policy the company has for vehicles and adapt it to motorcycles and then submit that.

You can talk with them about gear replacement since it wears out and is used for your protection. However, they will always have the option to tell you that you should get a car.

Good luck.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You should also take a copy of the expense/reimbursement policy the company has for vehicles and adapt it to motorcycles and then submit that.

You can talk with them about gear replacement since it wears out and is used for your protection. However, they will always have the option to tell you that you should get a car.

Good luck.

I am in the dark on what the current policy is much less adapting accordingly for a bike.

The company was made fully aware previous to hire several times by me that I only ride bikes and their only concern was the laptop and camera equipment not being stolen off the bikes or damaged from inclement weather.

Telling me to get a car NOW after the fact is not good. They knew fully going in that neither myself or SO drive cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts