Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi ihave a sv650 2002 model that runs ok but when put in first gear and engage clutch to set off it makes a grating noise on left side of engine at the front ,near rotor alternater,it sounds quite bad and i dare not use it ,has any one any idea what it could be?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am going to have another look at it ,checked rotor yesterday and it was not loose ,going to jack bike up and spin rear wheel to see if anything is amis ,i will let you know if i find anything,i was suspecting the gearbox,but the bike was fine last year no with problems atall untill i got it out again this year its only done 12,000 miles from new , how can it go wrong suddenly,overnight ,in storage, when it was ok before, i will try it again and let you know how it goes ,regards donald jackson.

·
Super Moderator
8,673 Posts
... when put in first gear and engage clutch to set off it makes a grating noise on left side of engine at the front ,near rotor alternater,it sounds quite bad
As Mad8 said, check the chain and front sprocket. The generator and front sprocket are so close the sound could easily come from either place.

The sprocket should NOT look like this. : -)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi i have checked front sprocket on sv 650 and the chain and they both apear to be fine and in good condition , i have also checked and adjusted clutch ,pushrod is ok , but there is still a loud clicking noise when engaging clutch and trying to set off ,could it be the front camchain tensioner thats sticking , however the engine sounds ok when in nuetrel .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
after further investigation i suspect front cam chain tensioner has backed off , clattering noise,on tick over that gets worse when trying to set off on bike ,can i take out tensioner and reset it ,or can i fit later tensioner k3? bike is a 2001 curvy with 12,000 miles from new. regards donald jackson.

·
very big dumb
8,727 Posts
iirc the tensioners are generation specific. just grab a replacement. nothing serviceable in it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hi a friend of mine got a sv 650 2000 which he was told it was fitted with later type tensoiners ,but from what you have stated, ,this must not have been true,but thanks for your advise ,regards donald jackson.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hi i have been informed by a someone who races sv 650 suzuki ,s that the k3 cam chain tensioners can be modified to fit 2001 bikes ,not sure how its done, but they have said they can modify the tensoiners for me, and will give me a quote for this.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Are you quite sure this is the issue? It seems odd to chase a modified tensioner for a different year, even if it does work on race applications. Is your bike modified in other ways? Is this tensioner still an attempt to fix the original grating sound when you put it in gear? If it runs fine I just can't imagine that you have timing issues, or that this is the biggest problem you're encountering.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
its noisy in neutral when you rev it,i am sure it is front camchain , and it makes more racket when you try to pull away ,putting more strain on camchain which seems logical to me, the k3 tensioner has a ratchet mecanisam in it suzuki must have changed the tentioner for a reason?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Honda was infamous for cam chain noises on some of their I4s back in the 90s, I had a couple of them. You could get a manual cam chain tensioner for the F2/3 which I had and I actually loosened it to get a little rattle. Over-tightening the manual tensioners was a source of failure after a while. Some folk preferred a quiet bike to a long-lasting one apparently.
I'm not saying this is your issue, if it's that loud it may be a problem. My '07 has some tick if you listen for it but I prefer to hear it than not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i am going to take off cam cover and look further into it ,i dare not use bike as it is sounds like something is going to break ,and is definatly not right.

·
very big dumb
8,727 Posts
i am going to take off cam cover and look further into it ,i dare not use bike as it is sounds like something is going to break ,and is definatly not right.
careful it will jump time if you remove the tensioner. so be prepared for that

1 - 19 of 19 Posts