Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was just out the other day picking up an OEM filter for my future 2001 SV650-part#16510-03G00 and paid the total OTD price of $13.40. I nearly fell on the floor but paid this time before I started looking for equivalents.

As it turns out today by coincidence I was out getting an oil filter for my wife's car '04 2.5LTR Subaru Forrester and I happen to think wow these sure look alot alike --I know the Subu threading is 20MMX1.5 (which is the same as my FZ1) and appears to be a bit more coarse than the Suzuki-can anybody refer me to a thread or the actual specs? When I get the bike (alledgedly this week) it also comes with a manual but I wonder if it will give such details. But just as an aside this PUROLATOR Premium Plus is the same dimensions and looks to be very similar right down to the heft, 6 hole inlet configuration --unlike other Premium Pluses that I have seen that claim Tennessee manufacture this says "made in India H02o10B1"

Are there any definite cross overs made by "Mobil or Bosch"? I realize there are only a few actual manufactures of "filters".

Oh yea-if you know the K&N filter # I'd definitely like to know that as well!

Thanks TappinZZ

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am picking up a new K&N filter tonight I will get you the number

K&N $9.87
Amsoil $8.75 part# SMF109

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
there was a good discussion about this a couple of months ago, and I went searching the web for info...and found a LOT!!!

see my posts on page 2 of this thread:
http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=40705.15

edit: oh...and for the record, I'm still under warranty...so I'm still using the OEM filter, in case something happens and I have to cash in that warranty. not sure if the warranty will void if you use another filter, but I figure better safe than sorry. But I did put Rotella T in her today! [what they cant see cant hurt, right?] She sure does like it! Buttery smooth shifts!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
fram does make a motorcycle oil filter that fits our bikes...but I wouldnt use it if I were you

just take a peek at the difference in construction between the fram:

and the OEM Suzuki filter:

big difference! the fram, even to the untrained eye, appears to have fewer pleats and a lower surface area of filter media...which would make it not as good of a filter. also, the cardboard endcaps on the filter media, besides possibly allowing dirty oil to seep through, could break apart and get into your engine, which could cause catastrophic engine failure. nope...that's too big a risk for me to take just to save a couple bucks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Always have changed my own oil/filters. 2 years ago I spun my oil pump drive shaft, 5.0L Mustang w/ Fram filter, like an ornamental railing. When I took out the pump I found metal filings in it. At the time I assumed they came from elsewhere in the engine but perhaps they made it through the filter (bypass?). Great links may need to switch to Pureone.

• 2000 SV650S

1 - 11 of 11 Posts