Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Seems as though some people think towing with a small car would ruin the transmission. Would a 6x10 trailer with a motorcycle on it be too much?

Depends. How often, how far and how fast matter too.

6X10 with a bike seems like a lot for a small 4-cylinder/tranny combo that's not designed for it, at least if you do it a lot. One of those Harbor Freight 4x8 trailers are pretty light, a friend towed a ninja 250 on one with his Civic to track days with no problems.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think sometimes the owners manuals give towing advice even though it is not recommended for the vehicle? :dontknow:

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
Many small cars usually have a 1000 lb towing capacity with a max 250 lb tongue weight. It's safe to operate any distance within all legal speeds... unless otherwise stated in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
check the manual on towing capacity...most cars have between 1k to 1.5k towing capacity. How beefy is the trailer?

·
Registered
920 Posts
There will also be a spec for frontal area. Even when within the weight spec, smaller vehicles especially can really suffer at highway speeds if the trailer sticks out on the sides or above the roof line.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There will also be a spec for frontal area. Even when within the weight spec, smaller vehicles especially can really suffer at highway speeds if the trailer sticks out on the sides or above the roof line.
So a trailer smaller than the profile of the car would be a plus. Makes sense.

check the manual on towing capacity...most cars have between 1k to 1.5k towing capacity. How beefy is the trailer?
I don't have the manual for the car, but I could probably look it up. Most forums seem to say it's ok to tow a small trailer with a light load, but I've heard people say that it's hard/bad on the transmission.

Trailer would be one of those metal framed ones with the mesh floor. Relatively lightweight and not that beefy.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
if it's a standard transmission, I would have no concerns, with an automatic transmission, I'd stay out of the mountains

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
SX4 - 5sp manual, 2.0L, 143 @ 5,800 rpm Torque (lb.-ft.) , 136 @ 3,500 rpm.

Should be able to tow one bike with ease. My former Civic had less then that (hp/TQ) and did it 3 times with over 140k miles on it at the times.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I pull a 4x8 trailer behind my wife's 03 Hyundai Elanta quite often. I've had one street bike, and another time two dirt bikes on with no problem. Her car is an automatic, 2.2 4cyl.

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
My car is a 2004 Sentra with a 1.8L. I'll be pulling a trailer with the SV from Raleigh, NC to Ogden, UT (2200 miles) in about 6 weeks.

·
Registered
828 Posts
i've been researching on this, different cars towing capacity, what people say about it. the official research on the sx4 was a 2000lb towing capacity. the consensus among people is that all small cars can do a 4x8 trailer with small loads. in hotter temps, add a tranny cooler. or take more frequent breaks.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
you're going from a truck to a roller skate?
I was under the impression Mike has been having to use his personal vehicle for work, I imagine he is looking for something easier on gas if that's the case.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
in what category? being japanese?
It makes like 20 more hp and much more torque. Also can have awd and I think navigation is standard while being much cheaper. This is of course compared to the base model mini.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts