Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I picked up a 2013 Suzuki gladius. The guy before me never rode it so when I bought it February of 2020 he had only put 123 miles on it. Once I got home and got a new batter and did basic fluid changes I thought I would be ready to ride. Well once I started riding I noticed around 5k rpm in any gear the engine would stop accelerating and start bogging down. I noticed there was a recall on the bike so I got the tappets changed. When I picked it up I didn’t notice until I got home that an FI light came on. The code was c44 which is the o2 sensor.
Before I dropped it off this code wasn’t showing so I ordered a new one however will that help with the engine bogging? Has anyone encountered the same problems? I’ll update as soon as I put the new o2 sensor in!

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
I don't know about the later SVs and SFVs, but cars with closed loop fuel control will go into a fixed map default when an error is detected.

That said, if you have a fueling issue or an ignition issue, the bike's error detection capability may not be sophisticated enough to determine that the reading it's getting from the O2 sensor is out of range because, for example, the fuel pump is unable to provide enough fuel at high demand, or the injectors are dirty and have a crummy spray pattern, or maybe your ignition system is corroded and not able to produce a strong spark.

That said, I'm curious to know how much fuel was in the tank when you picked it up with 123 miles on it. Was it empty? Was it 1/4 tank? Was it full? Is the tank rusty inside? Old fuel can gel up and cause issues in the fuel pump and the injectors. Rust that was on the tank and now broken free can clog the pump. If it was full, the ethanol could have absorbed enough water to be contaminated now. Have you tried fresh fuel?

·
Super Moderator
6,911 Posts
As gc noted - old fuel could be the cause. Completely drain the tank and refill with fresh 87 and 1oz per gal of Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner.

Check the air filter.

Confirm you have a fully charged (over 12.7V) battery. Even a new battery can be bad and may not be fully charged.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I first got the bike the battery was dead so the first thing I did was get a new battery and siphon out the old fuel and put fresh fuel in the tank. After I started riding I noticed the issue so I ran about 2 tanks of sea foam Mixture through the tank and that didn’t help. I bought an injector cleaning kit but have been hesitant to take the bike apart that far in hope the new o2 sensor would help. Would you think anything electrical could be the problem such as the ECU? Should I just go ahead and get down to the injectors and fuel pump? Thank you for the replies this has been a big help!!!

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
You can try a fuel volume test, that would be slightly less invasive than digging all the way down to the injectors.

Best advice would be to do the 'fuel volume' test....that'll tell you straight away whether you're getting enough fuel or not. 9-10 seconds should easily pump at least 5oz and a good pump/filter will do about double that. If anywhere close to the minimum...you need a pump and flush or replace the filter.
You can just cycle the key on and off 3-4 times.

·
Super Moderator
6,911 Posts
I'd try running a tank with Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner (1oz per gal) first.

Better than Seafoam IMO.

Still check battery voltage and air filter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so I put in the new o2 sensor and the FI light went off!! However the power issue has not been fixed :( Im next to my bike right now and im about to take all of your recommendations. First thing Ill check the battery and air filter. My original thought was fuel because when I siphoned out the gas the first day I got it there was a large amount of rust particles that came out. Ill get down to the fuel pump today and see what thats looking like and ill update within the next day! thanks again for the help! @Jay V @golden chicken

·
Registered
10 Posts
Late to this party, but I had similar issues. Turned out to be a bad pressure regulator in the fuel pump assembly. Pretty easy to change out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts