Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I am cringing at the thought of silicone filling the controls on my bike 😭 I'm glad you got it cleaned up.

I guess vibration is relative.
The silicone was impervious to everything I had available, awful stuff to clean up. At one point I didnt think the controls had a chance of surviving, that bad.

That's what I'm thinking, relative.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I guess vibration is relative; I don't even run bar end weights on my clip-ons and have no issues with bad vibes. Perhaps I'm just used to it, but then again I've never really had issues with that on any of my bikes anywhere from single to four-cylinder engines.

Here is one vibration-related issue I noticed shortly after getting the SV: while wearing jeans and riding for an hour plus, the wedding tackle goes numb. I'm not making this up, and I had never heard of that happening on these bikes. Maybe just me? Or TMI? The solution was to wear actual riding gear instead of jeans.
I don’t get that with jeans, even on long rides. Maybe size matters? LOL! Of course, on the ride home from the dealer with it back in early April, mine literally turned inside-out! Glad THAT hasn’t happened since… 😳

I’m thinking that with the vibration thing. The SV is smooth. VERY smooth for a V-Twin. But inline’s, like someone mentioned, are like an electric motor (sewing machine) for most, unless you have an imbalance at a particular rev point.

·
Registered
2008 SV650S
155 Posts
For you brothers having their junk beat to hell, try and scoot back on the seat, and grip the tank with your legs. This will also relax your arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
PSA ( Public Service Announcement) :D

I don't know for other models but when I first got my 99 I had been doing a bit of routine maintenance and put the rider's seat back on. When I sat back on the bike I noticed my Nads were being forced into the tank :O

When I looked I saw that the seat can be fitted slightly wrong and can lift the angle to the tank incorrectly !

I had to get the seat tangs under their locking position correct so that the line to the body was correct on both sides.

Reactions: 1neeto

·
Registered
18 Posts
Maybe not replacing gsxr, but he might have a point about these bikes being in mt09 range.
You can see 3000ml on the engine casing in one of those spy shots. Seems a bit much for ~700cc bike.
Didn't think much about it until last night, but Suzuki doesn't have anything to compete with mt09, f900r, 890r... It would make sense to come out with an engine in that range first and then reuse technology for the smaller twin to replace sv.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
I was leaning toward preferring a P to a V with the packaging points and a P’s ability to sound like the SV’s V. I think the need for additional stuff to balance the cross-plane P pushed me back to the V. I’ve been touching my SV recently in ways I’ve not in years, and I’ve done a few trackdays on it this year (Barber 3 weeks ago) and it’s renewed my joy in this 20yr old pile.

if you want a non-cross-plane P to sound likea cross-plane or a V, you could lengthen the runners of one of the header tubes

·
Registered
23 Posts
This year out of 24 riders only 1 rider racing an sv in the Twinscup. It's all parallel twins, Yamaha and Aprillia.
That's funny, because the Pitt Race event had 13 SV's registered, and I think 8 at least attempted qualifying. I wonder if it's a regional thing.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Maybe not replacing gsxr, but he might have a point about these bikes being in mt09 range.
You can see 3000ml on the engine casing in one of those spy shots. Seems a bit much for ~700cc bike.
Didn't think much about it until last night, but Suzuki doesn't have anything to compete with mt09, f900r, 890r... It would make sense to come out with an engine in that range first and then reuse technology for the smaller twin to replace sv.
I agree, mt09 range. It also makes no sense in replacing one of Suzukis most successful designs... engine and sells.
The SV stands out in a crowd of PTs and that alone is a selling point for many.

·
Registered
'07 SV650S, '05 Ninja 250
1,173 Posts
The SV stands out in a crowd of PTs and that alone is a selling point for many.
True that. Back when I was drooling over the SV I was riding with guys who had anything from HDs to Ducatis to RC51s... the v-twin configuration is a real pull for a lot of people. I just wanted that sound and look. The SV has it in a great package.

·
Registered
2008 SV650S
155 Posts
This is a interesting take, replacing the gsxr? I don't think so.....lots of speculation and rumors.

I think there’s still enough demand for the gsxr 750, I certainly see enough on the road. But I think there’s a shift from middle weight four cylinders to P twins. One thing is for sure is that cc’s sell. Your typical I4 600 makes about 125hp at the crank, but at stratospheric rpm’s. The twins make 75-85 at the crank, but have way more useable power at mid-low rpm’s (one of the reasons we love our SV’s so much). Even though there’s a good 30 hp deficit, the wider power band, and the cc’s (and much lower price) will make them sell like hotcakes. Your average beginner will look at a 600 and scoff because his buddies all ride 1000’s or 750’s. Offer him/her a “700”cc bike, even though it has significantly less hp, and the lower price, and that bike is going home. We don’t need a better example on how Yamaha dropped the road bike R6. The MT07 and now the R7 pushed it to the side. Same will happen with Suzuki. The I4 middleweight era is coming to an end.

·
Registered
2008 SV650S
155 Posts
I don't think I could go back to a parallel twin/triple or 4 as I'd miss me SV's super , "Engine Braking" and sound :D
Yeah. In theory, the 270 degree crank has the same exhaust pulses as the 90 degree twin, but I have yet to hear one that sounds remotely close to an SV. They sound great, but not like the SV.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
You get engine braking, more so on some models like a Z400 and pretty much the same sound from a 270 PT. I ride with two riders, one on a mt07, the other on a R7. Both bikes have aftermarket cans. One would be hard pressed to tell the difference in sound between those two bike and SVs with aftermarket cans.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts