Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I guess after 23 yrs it had to eventually happen........if it gets a cross plane crank, 700 cc and around 80 bhp, with all of the low down torque the Yam MT07 has, I’m sure it will be a winner though, but after only owning my first ever new SV for 2 months, I’m already mourning the impending loss of such a magic motor!

·
Registered
538 Posts
The reports are saying that it is expected to be released in adventure tourer (think V Strom) guise first. It's the sports bike version I want to see. Could be a case of hurry up and wait a bit longer...

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Poking around my Duke shows the packaging advantages of a parallel twin. LONG swingarm, very light frame with stressed member engine, forward weight bias, compact mass distribution, overall lighter and simpler components etc.

As said above, can keep the 90 vtwin character with cross plane crank if desired.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I'd be interested in riding one to see how different it feels, but I have a feeling I know the answer.

For several years I had Volvos with the 5-cylinder diesel, which was a smooth, characterful engine with snappy throttle response. Then Volvo replaced the 5-cylinder with its VEA modular 4-cylinder engines.

Sure, on paper the inline 4 had more power and torque and gave better economy than the old 5-cylinder. But in the real world, it was just a bland torque generator, it had no character at all and the performance difference was undetectable.

·
Registered
538 Posts
After owning a Super Tenere and being around the BMW parallel twins....NOT impressed with that engine! Yes, packaging is better, costs lower. But they vibrate more and so far the power just isn't impressive for the size of the engines.
Gonna disagree whole heartedly with you on that one bud. I've got an Aprilia 660 - Parallel twin, 270 deg firing order and 100HP outta 659cc. It can be done. Nuff said.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Agree, my wifes Z400 is surprisingly fast. I hear the ninja 400's are getting same lap times as sv's, vibrates less too.
Yeah the Ninja 400's are quick, I had one before the Ape. Stripped some weight off it, fitted a pipe, flashed the ECU and it was good for over 200kph on the optimistic clock. Loadsa fun, the turn in was telepathic :giggle:

·
Registered
482 Posts
My SV doesn't vibrate ?
That’s amazing! Because carb/fuel balancing or not, a Physics reality of the V engine is inherent vibration. Which is why cruiser riders love them. Mine is brand new, and vibrates. The vibration that in-line engines produce is ’different’. Much higher frequency. But usually they’re very smooth.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
It does, they all do to some extent.
My wife and I have the same bars on our bikes. I feel more vibration in my bars than hers. With an aftermarket can now even more so. Pretty much the same with every SV I've rode.
When was the last time you checked the Fuel body balance ? Even new machines can come from the factory and not be tuned correctly.

Also I have a set of heavy bar-end weights to help as I cannot stand vibrations as I suffer from Raynaud's Syndrome ( Industrial Vibration White Finger ) so my hands pickup any bad vibrations and in the cold will turn my fingers white and lose feeling :O

Ebay Heavy Bar-End weights

·
Registered
645 Posts
Don't remember if I have alredy posted this, but I modified my B-Lux Barracuda bar ends to dampen vibrations even more.
What I did was to use a much longer than the OEM threaded bolt (maybe 6 or 8 cm, I don't remember), then I inserted on it (between the bar end and the rubber cylinder) a 4cm bronze sleeve. This adds weight to the bar end inside the handlebar.

The difference with the unmodified bar end (to me) is noticeable.

Reactions: Soulspinner

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
With SM2 bars I found that lighter was better as far as bar ends went. The stock steel bar ends made the handlebars vibrate worse than without.

I don't find that my KTM vibrates any worse than my SV did, and neither vibrated as badly as any of my friends' I4 sportbikes.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts