Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my girlfriend an '02 Suzuki Savage (LS650) w/ 587 miles on it.

1) I noticed it will backfire here and there. On a 90 mile ride yesterday I'd say it did it about 3 or 4 times that I noticed. What would cause it to do that? Where should I start looking?

2) I'd like to put a tachometer on it. What are some good websites to look for such a thing? How involved would installing something like that be? Does it just tap into the sparkplug wires?

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
Regular_Joe said:
I recently bought my girlfriend an '02 Suzuki Savage (LS650) w/ 587 miles on it.

1)  I noticed it will backfire here and there.  On a 90 mile ride yesterday I'd say it did it about 3 or 4 times that I noticed.  What would cause it to do that?  Where should I start looking?

2)  I'd like to put a tachometer on it.  What are some good websites to look for such a thing?  How involved would installing something like that be?  Does it just tap into the sparkplug wires?
Dont really know about the backfiring, but I would assume we would need to know when it occures....... under load....... just cruising...... or under deaccel.

Tachs gets there signal off the neg side of a coil....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Great bike, my wife has one and it's a lot of fun to ride. You might want to ask this question on the message board at www.suzukisavage.com
Ours only backfires when the motor is shut off after a ride, and from what I understand that's typical. Usually Savage's will backfire if the jetting is a bit off. Some people with aftermarket pipes never find the right combination and learn to live with it. At least you've only got one carb to deal with.
As for the tach, we've never really missed it. Our older Savage gives a lot of feedback as far as engine rpm. Whenever the vibration gets annoying it's time to upshift. And it will chug right back up to speed if you miss a downshift. Very forgiving ride.

·
Hall Monitor
2,738 Posts
Regular_Joe said:
That may be your problem right there.

A bike that gets ridden less than 200 miles a year probably has some carburetor deposits. Maybe not enough to keep it running, but maybe enough to keep it from running right. It may be on the ragged edge of lean. This will keep the air/fuel mixture from burning completely, and under certain conditions may allow unburnt mixture to collect in the exhaust canister, where it is ignited by the hot gases that escape when the exhaust valve opens.

I'd try adding a can of Berryman's B-12, or a similar, toluene-based carb cleaner, to a fresh tank of gas. Ride the bike 'til you hit reserve and then fuel up again. This may be sufficient to clear out any mung that's partially clogging your carbs.

HTH

Bill

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, that makes me feel better. I'll try running some cleaner through it. Hopefully that will help.

The tach is mostly for me. I just like them. It is a fun ride though. Makes me want to get a cruiser as a second bike.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Savages are jetted really lean for EPA purposes. Drill out the plug over the mixture screw and adjust for fastest idle. This will help eliminate most of the backfires. If you really want to eliminate them you will need to rejet and also play with the needle spacer. Some have success removing the spacer others use a washer that is half the thickness. Or you can accept it as it really doesn't hurt the bike and is really good for getting people to stay back. Could get some really loud ones if I worked at it.

Try www.suzukisavage.com or http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Be_Savage/ for more info.

Just sold my wife's Savage since we bought the SV

1 - 8 of 8 Posts