Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
That really is a shame. The bike has nearly a cult-like following. It's a shame Suzuki couldn't tap into that with their marketing. Epic failure on their part IMO.

Heck, I own a Ducati and I'm here saying this.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
In North America yes, but in parts of Europe, such as the UK, the SV650 still lives on. I believe it was discontinued one year, and they brought it back in 2011 only in S form.

http://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/bike/sv650sl0/
That kind of made no sense to me. Why would you buy an SV650S model when a GSXR600 costs only a little bit more? Keep the N model and get rid of the S. The N looks better anyway. ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
That really is a shame. The bike has nearly a cult-like following. It's a shame Suzuki couldn't tap into that with their marketing. Epic failure on their part IMO.

Heck, I own a Ducati and I'm here saying this.
That's probably why. After a certain point the used market is bigger than the new market.

The same thing happened with the Honda Prelude. The last couple of new cars sat forever and never sold. Meanwhile the used ones have a cult following.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
Why would you buy an SV650S model when a GSXR600 costs only a little bit more?
Many riders actually find value in the virtues of the SV. They notably include not having to rev past 6000 rpm all the time to have useful torque and the resultant savings in fuel. I know you can't belioeve this, but gasoline is comparatively cheap in the USA compared to most European countries. And in the more rational and civilized countries, inexperienced riders can't just hop on a 100+hp bike and wheelie out of the showroom, as we can here in the good old Free-by-God US of A.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That kind of made no sense to me. Why would you buy an SV650S model when a GSXR600 costs only a little bit more? Keep the N model and get rid of the S. The N looks better anyway. ;)
Only a little bit more?

RRP of the SV650S £4975 vs RRP of the GSXR600 £8799

You could buy an SV, a complete set of very good gear and insure it for less than the GSXR600.

Two different bikes that attract different riders. The SV was only brought back because Suzuki doesn't offer a faired version of the Gladius yet.

Now word is the SV is coming back by tweeking the look of the Gladius and adding a faired version.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Only a little bit more?

RRP of the SV650S £4975 vs RRP of the GSXR600 £8799

You could buy an SV, a complete set of very good gear and insure it for less than the GSXR600.

Two different bikes that attract different riders. The SV was only brought back because Suzuki doesn't offer a faired version of the Gladius yet.

Now word is the SV is coming back by tweeking the look of the Gladius and adding a faired version.
Maybe my memory is faulty. I seem to recall the SV650S going for almost 7 grand here and the GSXR600 was around 9 grand. This was a few years ago though... :dontknow:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well, I think of it like this. The SV650 will be the CB500 30-40 years from now when it becomes vintage.. :D Buy all the SV650! Clean them up now, store them! turn around 30 years from now and sell them for like 4xs the original price!

·
Banned
855 Posts
Well, I think of it like this. The SV650 will be the CB500 30-40 years from now when it becomes vintage.. :D Buy all the SV650! Clean them up now, store them! turn around 30 years from now and sell them for like 4xs the original price!
I knew it was a good idea to crate that spare motor. Now I should rebuild it before the parts are gone. Have a 0 mile engine to throw in it after my now 18k engine dies in it.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
I'm sorry but the sv is the sv, they can't try to replace it with a faired version of the gladius, that bike is ugly as sin...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts