Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, photo geeks. Zach got me a Holga for christmas and I have shot about 30 or 40 rolls of film on it. For a bit of history, the Holga is a toy camera. It uses 120mm film. You don't compose your photos with it, you shoot from the hip. I LOVE it. And have only used my canon once since I got it. Zach has picked up a b&w darkroom and I can't wait to have some place to set it up so I can put my prints to paper. I have been developing my own negatives since about January or February.

Please keep an open mind with this thread. The whole point of the pictures is the whole point. There are flaws, but they make the whole pictures.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Those pics are amazing, I love that style. Keep 'em coming Suzanne.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I have 10 rolls of b&w to develop this weekend. I will have to drop 3 c-41 rolls off, but I can do the others myself.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
That's a cool little medium format camera for only $30. Kinda like a modern pinhole camera. You've got a few double exposed images but they look very cool. I've got a TLR Mamiya 6x6 collecting dust maybe I should bust it out as I love that square format.

Good stuff.

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
Aesthetic critique: More dog; less Zach.
Yay for silver-based film.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Shots like those make me doubt the wisdom of the transition to digital, at least for artists. These pics have "the feel" to them.

Oh yeah, +1 to FA's statement

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
Suzanne is getting all artsy fartsy on us. Impressive. The grittyness of the shots give a lot character to the pieces. The photos look like they were taken in the 80's or something. Diggin' it, big time.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's a cool little medium format camera for only $30. Kinda like a modern pinhole camera. You've got a few double exposed images but they look very cool. I've got a TLR Mamiya 6x6 collecting dust maybe I should bust it out as I love that square format.

Good stuff.
Jeff, That was idea. You can expose each frame of the negative as many times as you want. I love this camera. It goes everywhere with me and like I said. I don't compose alot of my shots. I shoot from the hip. I got the fish lens for my birfday, so I am super excited to see how those turn out.

Suzanne is getting all artsy fartsy on us. Impressive. The grittyness of the shots give a lot character to the pieces. Diggin' it, big time.
No. No I'm not. I am just finally taking the pictures that I have always wanted to take. Thank you! I wish that my 600$ camera could pull these pictures off. But they are just too clean for me.

·
OberKommandant
6,127 Posts
These are awesome Suzanne! I can't wait to see the "Rally Gallery". ;D

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
The grittyness of the shots give a lot character to the pieces. The photos look like they were taken in the 80's or something. Diggin' it, big time.
Agreed. I like the double exposed ones especially. Kind of like not taking a picture of an actual event, but rather taking a picture of a memory of it. I don't know how to accurately explain it, but that's what they look like to me. Very cool Suz! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Agreed. I like the double exposed ones especially. Kind of like not taking a picture of an actual event, but rather taking a picture of a memory of it. I don't know how to accurately explain it, but that's what they look like to me. Very cool Suz! :thumbsup:
:iamwithstupid:

Splendid shots. Really thought provoking. Very nice!!

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
It's amazing the emotion that a Holga shot can convey. You're exactly right- It is like a memory. A little cloudy and the details aren't crystal clear- just like how you often remember certain events.

The camera also changes how you act as a photographer. You don't have to stress about lighting, composition, f stops, apertures, or any of that. In fact, the simplest subjects usually result in the coolest photos.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
^^^ yeah, man. I know what you are talking about. You can "feel" the texture and the "motion" in the stills. Fcuking impressed, I must say. And this is coming from an ex art school student. Whatever that means... :dontknow: Some of the pieces are better than what I have seen from the "photo department" students works.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts