Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My SV650 N (I think back wheel) wobbles when I take corners at around 80+ mph with a mild lean angle. I wonder what could cause this problem and how I can solve it.

I'm just a beginner rider so maybe I'm doing something wrong? I don't feel tense when it happens and I keep the bars loose. Mostly I'm upright on the bike, leaning with it.

My tire pressure is 2.5 front and 2.9 back. They are about 2000 miles old and look good.

I've read that it could be the rear shock which is too soft. I noticed that in the manual, the SV650 S is 2 steps harder then the SV650 N which I have. Could this have something to do with it?

I don't want to mess up my bike settings when it could be my riding technique. Have any of you had the same problem? And what can I do to find the problem or solve it?

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
on/off the gas???

the wobble is probably a combination of BOTH front and rear suspension, as it sucketh from the Factory...

try 30POUNDS front/rear...

liberal throttle applications [continuious]...

or/and

swap the frontend/wheel/brakes for a Gxxr and put a Ohlin's/Penske/Elka shock on it and be done...lol

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
If you are a new rider I'm sure you are pry hard on the bars. The suspension sucks, so that doesn't either.

What tires are they? Crap tires tend to feel like... well like crap. And those pressures seem a bit high. I think the factory recommends 38 PSI in the rear (2.5 I think?). Front should be 32 PSI (2.2?). I don't have a calculator and don't feel like messing around with google converion at this time at night.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I do roll on slowly in corners. No throttle on/off since I can't hold my line that way.
It seems to go away when I change my speed either way, but I'm not sure what it'll do when I keep the same speed (don't dear to try?).

I adjusted the tire pressure to what the manual says..(2.25 and 2.5) but it didn't solve it.

I'm wondering if it's normal for the sv650N at 80-100mph (wind/road) or if it's something that can be solved by a mechanic. There are no wiggles at all below 80mph.

Perhaps I'll go round some bike tuning thing and have them look at my suspension..

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
The 650's suspension is regarded by many as marginal when new...and after 20,000 miles the rear shock is likely getting pretty shagged. Might just be wallowing a bit from the stresses of higher speed cornering. New shock is probably indicated. Penske (as suggested by Weasel) works quite a treat on these bikes.:)

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I don't want to mess up my bike settings when it could be my riding technique. Have any of you had the same problem? And what can I do to find the problem or solve it?
very much so

I put 135k on my 1st gen SV in 7 years, all with stock original rear shock, fork was rebuilt once, replaced with oem used as well. my weight has varied from 220 to 325 due to medical issues so I never felt confident to spent $$$ on a shock sprung for my ??? weight, as it would change from month to month

the stock suspension sucks, but you can learn to compensate, it will make you a better smoother rider

if you weigh over 175 or so, just shifting your weight can make the bike wobble

rear wheels bearings ? cush drive bearing are things that made my SV wobble even when I was compensating for suspension deficiencies, I never had to replace the front wheel bearings

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, just want to report back.

I had my bike suspension checked (for free :naughty:) and the front suspension turned out to be way to soft. Rear seemed fine for my weight (165p). They stiffened up the pre-load by 2 "stripes" at the front.

The bike feels way better to drive now, more planted on the road if that makes sense. The wobble is sometimes still there, and keep rolling on (or off) is the only way to solve it.

Anyway, my rear tire needs replacement. I ordered a bt-023 (got 021 now), maybe that will make a difference. And else I might have to take a look at those bearings.
Actually, I will ask them to check when they change the tire.

:eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Your bike doesn't have front preload adjustment so I'm not sure what happened there. Anyway... Don't worry about upgrading your suspension. Everyone here will tell you how "bad" the stock suspension is, but (quite frankly) it's all about the rider. (Please don't hear this the wrong way, I'm NOT reprimanding you!)

Tires, however, are important. If your rear tires is squared off, that's bad.

But still... makes sure your enter curves slowly enough to allow you to be gently rolling on the throttle through the curve. Once you start rolling on, don't stop. This gives you a little weight bias towards the rear, which is a good thing. Try it!

Also, check out some books... Sport Riding Techniques (Ianatsch), Twist of the Wrist (Code), Total Control (Parks),....

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Your bike doesn't have front preload adjustment so I'm not sure what happened there.

Also, check out some books... Sport Riding Techniques (Ianatsch), Twist of the Wrist (Code), Total Control (Parks),....
02 came with preload adjusters. You can still buy them from Suzuki for like $50 and they will fit on your 99-01 forks.

And those are great books to check out, or if you are lazy find the Twist of the Wrist II movie. More fun noises and less words.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
iirc, R6 preload adjusters also fit, I belive thats what riders were upgrading to before the 02 adjusters were available. fwiw, I have the 02 adjusters on my 99

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes. I have preload adjusters.

Anyway, the new back tire made my bike much much more stable. In my opinion the bt23 are really worth the extra 30 bucks over the bt21!

Also my right backwheel bearing is a bit loose and needs replacement.

So I guess that figures it, right?

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
02 came with preload adjusters. You can still buy them from Suzuki for like $50 and they will fit on your 99-01 forks.

Got a link? I'm new to suspension tuning, but I imagine that these would be helpful for me especially because I'm putting in new springs and emulators this winter.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Yes. I have preload adjusters.

Anyway, the new back tire made my bike much much more stable. In my opinion the bt23 are really worth the extra 30 bucks over the bt21!

Also my right backwheel bearing is a bit loose and needs replacement.

So I guess that figures it, right?
Increasing preload does not fix spring rate that is too soft. http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9510_tech/viewall.html

As you have discovered, it's often the tires, either worn, hardened, or improperly inflated. Get the bearings replaced if they are worn and you should be good to go.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts