Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I am new to the svrider forum I don’t know how to ask this question but I was hoping somebody could let me know if I made a good choice in suspension.... I have a 2006 with decently high miles and I can tel the suspension needs a refresh.. I ordered a used 06-07 zx10 shock with just under 20k miles and new springs for my riding weight from SONIC SPRINGS that I’m gonna have my local bike shop put in and adjust for me... We’re these good choices for a cheap but effective suspension upgrade and will it make a largely noticeable difference? Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
6,870 Posts
Many knowledgeable members have said there is not a good choice for a rear shock from another bike to be fitted on the SV due to different overall length, spring rates, linkage ratios, etc. Not sure if that applies to both the 1st and 2nd gens or not.

I went with a basic Ohlins rear shock designed for the SV and correct Sonic Springs/oil wieght up front on my '06n, and it was a major improvement.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Good choices! Actually great choices. The Gen 1 had a longer shock 341mm I think and the Gen 2 has a 330mm but works better with 340mm+. But... You need to get that shock serviced ASAP. If the seals are good you could get away with changing the oil and a shot of nitrogen. You change your engine oil every 6k right? Same applies with suspension.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything was stock before and I’m a little heavier than average but not much and I honestly just read what everybody said on here for a quick cheap upgrade.. I got the bike for 2,000 lookin brand new so I said to hell with buyin a 900$ shock.. I’m glad to hear they were good choices people said Sonics springs were great... Local bike shop does good work so they shouldn’t have a problem installing.. I also got new fork seals just to be safe... thanks everybody👍🏽👍🏽

·
Registered
6 Posts
I actually just put a zx14 shock on my 05 sv naked. It makes the bike a little taller but the shock can be adjusted for height. Feels way better than stock. I left the height where it is and I didn't lower it. Feels like a different bike. If you do that and new springs up front it will be great. I got the shock for $45 so it was a good upgrade.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I actually just put a zx14 shock on my 05 sv naked. It makes the bike a little taller but the shock can be adjusted for height. Feels way better than stock. I left the height where it is and I didn't lower it. Feels like a different bike. If you do that and new springs up front it will be great. I got the shock for $45 so it was a good upgrade.
What year ZX14 shock had ride height adjustability?

·
Registered
6 Posts
What year ZX14 shock had ride height adjustability?
Nope you're right. Height is not adjustable. I was confused. I thought the Pre load was ride height and I left it alone. I did adjust the other settings but the preload was already at oem setting and I didn't move it. My apologies. It's the first time I work on my bike in 15 years lol. I wouldn't have been able to do it without these forums.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello all I am new to the svrider forum I don’t know how to ask this question but I was hoping somebody could let me know if I made a good choice in suspension.... I have a 2006 with decently high miles and I can tel the suspension needs a refresh.. I ordered a used 06-07 zx10 shock with just under 20k miles and new springs for my riding weight from SONIC SPRINGS that I’m gonna have my local bike shop put in and adjust for me... We’re these good choices for a cheap but effective suspension upgrade and will it make a largely noticeable difference? Thanks again
you got another shock that needs a "refresh."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts