Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For people that have added some suspension modifications, this is right out of Road racing world...I can't imagine what the SV would handle like if Ohlins made forks for our bikes!

Bike turns too slow or runs wide at exits or requires significant force on handlbars

Lower front end (usually in 3mm steps) of if you are in a hurry, remove a line or two on the preload adjuster on the front. If you lower the front, double check the mechanical bottoming.

Raise the rear by adding ride height. Remember that on most sportbikes 3mm oat the shock is about 6mm at the axel.

Bike is nervous mid-turn, particularly in fast sweepers

Raise front end. If this makes the bike turn too slowly, try raising rear as well.

Bike head shakes beyond acceptable limit

Raise front end or lower back end.

Bike head shakes on deceleration

Check/adjust steering head bearings. (also could be bad front tire)

Bike steers well in single turns but steers too slowly in quick transitions (R-L-R)

Lower both ends of the bike equal amounts or lower center of gravity some other way

Bike dives too much on brakes, too easily lifts rear wheel

Add fork oil, add compression damping to forks, raise front or lower rear.

Bike's rear wheel chatters at entrance to slow turns

Rider should slip the clutch into the turn after the downshift or buy a slipper clutch.

Front end chatters

Add rebound damping to forks (or check to make sure you dont have too much damping) or try different front tire.

Bike doesnt have rear grip

Check free sag, try softer rear spring, try less low-speed compression daming, lower rear of bike, make sure the rider isn't entering the rutn too slowly and try to accelerate to hard to make up for it, make sure rider is hanging off the bike.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: No replies?

andyauger said:
And only 33 hits.
Seriously...I guess everyone here is a suspension guru, or just steers away from the black art of suspension tuning!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Maybe a Mod could move this thread to a more appropriate place. Like the main message forum. Think more people would see it then?

By the way, I AM a suspension guru!
Now what is decompression damperning again? :wink: :lol:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
calvoracer said:
Maybe a Mod could move this thread to a more appropriate place. Like the main message forum. Think more people would see it then?

Main message board?! Naaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh! Too many squids there posting those "My bike won't wheelie" threads! After they graduate from the school of twisties, then they can come play in the tech forum!

For now, the secret fine tuning techniques of the board for people who like to ride their SV on roads that are not straight, shall stay in 99-02 SV650 tech!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: No replies?

Mad Max said:
Maybe they don't like being called dummies :lol:
Next thread like this I post, I'm going to call it "Suspension Tuning for men who like big breasted women!"

33 hits?!? I'll generate 3333 hits!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A little paddock action of my future suspension tuner!

And since I'm a generous guy, I'll let the first 5 members to reply take one of my concubines home!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is that what heaven looks like? :D

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I'm number 5! Woohoo! Now which one should I pick.... :twisted:

Seriously, though, I never looked at the thread until now because I thought someone was ASKING for suspension help. Since I'm nearly clueless myself, I didn't think I would have anything to add. Just my $0.02.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
akira88 said:
calvoracer said:

Main message board?! Naaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh! Too many squids there posting those "My bike won't wheelie" threads! After they graduate from the school of twisties, then they can come play in the tech forum!

For now, the secret fine tuning techniques of the board for people who like to ride their SV on roads that are not straight, shall stay in 99-02 SV650 tech!
:lol:
Good stuff dude. We gotta go for a ride sometime next season.

I guess this makes me #6 :x
Too bad, I'm takin the one with her legs spread.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Metcalfe said:
:lol:
Good stuff dude. We gotta go for a ride sometime next season.

I guess this makes me #6 :x
Too bad, I'm takin the one with her legs spread.
For sure man...Don't know if I'll be doing any street riding next year...I've about had it with all the problems with the SV this last season. Right now, my clutch is in pieces, and I haven't had the time to put anything back together. Get this...

In September, the left-side chain tensioner on the swingarm BROKE OFF and flew somewhere on the 400 when I was coming back from a North run. The rear axle went on an angle cuz only the right side was holding it in place. This inturn caused the chain to fly off the rear sprocket, lock up the rear wheel, and did some damage to the clutch when the chain was flying all over the place. Waited a month or so to finally get the parts from Japan, and now that I have it, I just haven't had the time or motivation to get her going. I'm thinking that I'll just take it to Z1 Cycletech and have them fix it up.

On going stupid things like this have been making me neglect the SV...PLUS, I was thinking about making the SV a track bike. What the hell I am going to do with two track bikes, I HAVE NO IDEA!?! But I'm getting sick of paying retarded insurance rates even when I'm over a quarter century old. And I want something that I can push on the track...The Fiddy-One is a sack of money that I don't wanna bin!

Come to a few track days and have some fun with me out on Nelson. You know how much fun the SV is on that circuit! I got my ass handed to me on silver plate by some guy who races the Diablo Cup. AND I WAS ON THE RC! Those pros are too good on the SV. And I'm not even going to tell you how Trombino scared the living shit outta me flying by on the inside of turn 7 on his R1. That guy is made for Yamaha. He just makes it work.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It sounds like you're lucky to have a left leg.

Nelson was alot of fun on the sv, but I'm guessing with Trombino, and the sv cup guy sharing the track, that you're in hot shoe. I don't have much track time, I'm intermediate.

I'm hoping for a speeding ticket from the 507 to get tossed, but if/when it doesn't, my insurance will probably sky-rocket. I'm still a little under the quarter century mark, so they charge me what ever they want. But as much fun as track riding is, I can't see giving up northern runs, or gap runs for that matter.

I had planned for alot of track days this year, but with the bike being stolen, and other shit, it didn't work out. Next season should be better though. See you at Shanny, Mosport or maybe even Calabogie!!!!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hotshoe!? hahaha! Oh hell no! Those guys are nuts! It was a race weekend on Fabi...Trombino jumped onto Nelson on the crossover and did a few sessions with us to screw around!

I was meaning to ask you tho, where did you get all your work done on your bike? I need some options for some suspension work and a few other tidbits.

Did you bring the ticket to a ticket fighter? I've been lucky this year that all my tickets have been fought off. There was this one that I got when I was in Montreal that I never paid, but I never heard a peep from them. Maybe I got lucky?

Ahhh...the 507. I haven't been up that was since last year. Love those big sweepers.

Yea...who the hell am I kidding. I need a street bike!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts