Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the fork oil as suggested in another thread I started and feels much better, thanks everyone for that.

But the bike 2006 sv650s still does not feel as stable as I think it should in the canyons and I am not sure where to go from here. Currently I am running .90 sonic springs with 20wt oil, zx-14 rear shock, and continental motion tires.

Any ideas would be helpful or maybe a shop I could take it to and have it looked over, I am 1hr north of Los Angles.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Is the rear shock raising the rear end vs stock? That will make it steer quicker for sure. If you can extend the forks it would help a bit too. Also your choice of tires influences how responsive it will feel. The Motions are pretty quick steering if I remember what I've read on them. A more rounded tire like a PR2 would be more stable. But I think lowering the rear and raising the front would be a good thing to try for cheap.

If all else fails, a steering damper will add stability that you can adjust to suit your taste.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
But I think lowering the rear and raising the front would be a good thing to try for cheap.
I really doubt that is his problem with that setup. Probably has to do with the shock being not tuned to the bike/his weight and the forks only having oil/springs (no emulators?).

My rear is raised and front is lowered and the bike feels like it's on rails in the turns.

·
Registered
546 Posts
My gut feeling is that your rear is rising too quick considering your front are only .90's compared to the zx14's spring rate...

From the research i've gathered for my bike, the front is probably good for a person weighing around 185#... the zx14 is more ideal for someone +220#'s...

But hell, it could also just be low tire pressure.

I am sure there are a ton of shops out there. Check your designated regional thread.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Wandering while:
- cruising in a straight line?
- on the brakes?
- entering a corner, off the gas?
- riding through a sweeper, constant gas/on the gas?
- exiting a corner, on the gas?
- any of the above + bumpy road?

How much do you weigh.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Chances are good that it's related to the tires. It seems unlikely that all cornering would yield a feeling of wandering unless it is the tires, assuming there is nothing loose or misaligned. How many miles and how old are they? Are they flat spotted? Did they get oil on them or something equally weird? What pressures are you running?

·
Registered
134 Posts
what kind of seat do you have? When i first refoamed my seat it gave a lower seat height, but elevated my arms and made me reach further, which resulted in incorrect riding position for aggressive riding. My weight ratio was thrown off and more biased to the rear.

For the SV you'll find that lowering the seat will give you worse handling, but raising it will improve it by putting the riders weight further forward.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts