Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well yesterday I brought out my 2003 SV 1000 and although I have gone on several rides over the winter, the battery was flat. A quick boost from my engine starter and I was up and riding. After a while (15 minutes or so) I noticed something odd, if I was holding a steady say 4000 RPM if felt like the bike was surging, not so much surging as momentarily loosing some power, like someone was pulsing the rear brake. By the way the brakes are new 200 miles and the rotors true.

Has anyone had a similar experience? If yes, what was it and what was the cure?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like I will be dumping the fuel from the bike into my truck and I think I will buy a new battery, I think the battery is the factory original but I'm not positive.

Are any batteries more recommended than others?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Many opinions around here about batteries.....
I think they're probably all good.
But I'd definitely pick up a battery tender. I hook mine up any time the bike might sit for more than a few days. Some on this site have recommended one from Wal-Mart for about $20. Mine is Battery Tender brand, about $40. Bought it before I knew about the one at WM.
Batteries last for many years if kept on one.

·
Registered
522 Posts
+1 for a battery tender. I suggest the Battery Tender Jr. (not sure the brand, found it on Amazon). It charges and maintains the battery so you can leave it plugged in until you're ready to ride, then plug it again after. Also, it comes with leads you can wire to directly to your battery. I did that and then ran it up under the rear seat, so all I have to do is pop that and plug it in. It's awesome. Also, it's not much bigger than a standard 9V AC/DC power supply you see with a lot of house hold electronics.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well yesterday I brought out my 2003 SV 1000 and although I have gone on several rides over the winter, the battery was flat. A quick boost from my engine starter and I was up and riding. After a while (15 minutes or so) I noticed something odd, if I was holding a steady say 4000 RPM if felt like the bike was surging, not so much surging as momentarily loosing some power, like someone was pulsing the rear brake. By the way the brakes are new 200 miles and the rotors true.

Has anyone had a similar experience? If yes, what was it and what was the cure?

Thanks in advance,
Definitely get a new battery or charge yours up all the way first-as mention the charging system on these backs aren't designed to bring dead batteries back to life so to speak;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
+1 for a battery tender. I suggest the Battery Tender Jr. (not sure the brand, found it on Amazon). It charges and maintains the battery so you can leave it plugged in until you're ready to ride, then plug it again after. Also, it comes with leads you can wire to directly to your battery. I did that and then ran it up under the rear seat, so all I have to do is pop that and plug it in. It's awesome. Also, it's not much bigger than a standard 9V AC/DC power supply you see with a lot of house hold electronics.
Same tender.. I assume the Deltran one. I picked mine up on ebay for roughly $20 shipped sometime ago. Looking now, seems as if they are more pricey. Either way, it is a great investment to make and keeps your battery ready to go even when you aren't riding.

·
Registered
608 Posts
If you haven't solved this problem yet, allow me to suggest that it's your Secondary Throttle Plates doing the notorious open-close dance that had many journalists nailing the SV with lean surging, which is total BS. Calibrate your TPS and your STV position sensor and it will help tremendously.

http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14181

1 - 9 of 9 Posts