Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to put my GSXR frontend on my bike tomarrow and I'm trying to figure out how I can do this. I remeber there was a thread where a guy made a rack out of pipe with a ratcheting tie-down to hold up the bike. I can't seem to find this thread though. Does anyone have any other ideas on how I can do this in my carport? I have no way of supporting the bike from the ceiling. Its a 2003 sv650 if that matters.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
I used two stepladders with a 2x4 across the top when I did my forks.

Now I have an EazyRizer ... http://www.drivengear.com (the red one!)

It is the best purchase I have ever done for working on my bike.

·
Registered
187 Posts
footfukinmasta said:
This sounds goo, but most step ladders are rated for only 250lbs.
you're not lifting the entire bike up, just the front end. so you should be well within the 250lbs "limit"
also the rating they give you is with a very high Safety factor. Since a failed ladder has the potential for human harm the safety factor is around 4(says osha). there are equations but the gist of it is that the ladder can actually support 4 times the 250lb without yielding or failing. now, there are always exclusions and mitigating circumstances, like stress concentrations around corners and rivets, but meh....you'll be fine, you can use the ladder. or if you have rafters in your garage you can use those, or jack stands under the frame sliders, or a jack under the engine(you'll have to have supports on the side of the bike though). or just buy a front end stand that goes under the fork triple, you'll be glad you bought it

·
Registered
737 Posts
Well have it on the front end stand till only the lower triple has to come off. Then lift the frame by hand... d'oh - just realized - I did it with the engine out. Makes the frame a whole lot lighter. Disregard previous post please.

·
Registered
571 Posts
you could use a front end stand like this from pit bull.

but i requires the use of a rear stand at the same time.

very stable setup and you can take the forks off which is exactly why i bought it.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
if you don't have the proper lift, the best option is hanginig it from overhead as that method eliminated the possibility of the bike accidently fallling over when your reefing on a fastener or stumbiling in your garage to grab another beer

the best method would be to get an EazyRizer though

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
schultzboy said:
you could use a front end stand like this from pit bull.

but i requires the use of a rear stand at the same time.

very stable setup and you can take the forks off which is exactly why i bought it.
I have a front and rear stand. but the problem is when you need to take the upper and lower triple out you cant use a front stand.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I love that you guys can't buy Abba or NWS swingarm-pivot stands :) These things are the business, they attach into the swingarm axle so they're incredibly stable... And they uncompress the rear shock making it easy to replace it. There's adaptors available if you need to replace the swingarm, to lift from the rearset bolts. I love mine, it's probably the best biking-related purchase I've ever made.

And you can't get one, so nyah :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Northwind said:
I love that you guys can't buy Abba or NWS swingarm-pivot stands :) These things are the business, they attach into the swingarm axle so they're incredibly stable... And they uncompress the rear shock making it easy to replace it. There's adaptors available if you need to replace the swingarm, to lift from the rearset bolts. I love mine, it's probably the best biking-related purchase I've ever made.

And you can't get one, so nyah :)
I am so jelous, I think I'll just end my life now. ;D Theres probably a reason why they aren't available anymore.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts