Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 05 SV650S I want to install the OEM naked triple tree on. I need a good way to support the bike to remove the front fork. I know there are stands for this but I was wondering if anyone had lower cost solutions for me that work well. I only need to support it like this once. I have frame sliders so i'm thinking i can support it there somehow. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Not particularly, maybe they go up a couple of feet though. I wish I had a pic but I can't find one. I believe I had them extended up most of the way.

·
Registered
142 Posts
easiest if you have the stuff is a pair of jack stands under frame sliders, some folks also use a ladder with straps.

Personally i bought an abba stand and it has been amazing for doing work to the front or the rear. quite a bit of $ but well worth it if you intend to do any of your own work.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Here's what I do to completely lift the rear of the bike: CAN'T Get it UP
It works for the front too, you just need to route the ratchet strap under the triple tree.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 05 SV650S I want to install the OEM naked triple tree on. I need a good way to support the bike to remove the front fork. I know there are stands for this but I was wondering if anyone had lower cost solutions for me that work well. I only need to support it like this once. I have frame sliders so i'm thinking i can support it there somehow. Thanks in advance.
I tried all the suggestions posted,they work with various degrees of success,bought a headstem stand earlier this year au$150 including delivery,far faster to us,more stable,a lot less clutter,no strap,ladders,jacks or pieces of wood in the way.Best bike exclusive product I have ever bought, it makes servicing,cleaning etc,so much easier,I’m over 70 with a dodgy back and it thanks me every time I use the stand.Buy a good one and you will never regret it.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I tried all the suggestions posted,they work with various degrees of success,bought a headstem stand earlier this year au$150 including delivery,far faster to us,more stable,a lot less clutter,no strap,ladders,jacks or pieces of wood in the way.Best bike exclusive product I have ever bought, it makes servicing,cleaning etc,so much easier,I’m over 70 with a dodgy back and it thanks me every time I use the stand.Buy a good one and you will never regret it.
Same here. I bought a Headstock front Paddock stand to go with my rear paddock stand. Makes working on the front of the bike a joy and not a chore. Similar to this one,

·
very big dumb
8,966 Posts
Same here. I bought a Headstock front Paddock stand to go with my rear paddock stand. Makes working on the front of the bike a joy and not a chore. Similar to this one,
that wouldnt help him cause he has to pull the triples

·
Registered
361 Posts
FYI, in the Gen 2 owner's manual, Suzuki recommends using a jack under the engine (in conjunction with a rear paddock stand) to lift the front end, page 7-32.

Reactions: Straticus

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
As I may need to do work like this e.g replace the steering bearings at some point. I've been looking into this.

I've just spent an hour or so in my garage and used a trolley jack with a metal plate on it and a couple of pieces of sacrificial wood on that and under the engine. With the bike on the rear Paddock stand I could raise the front totally free but it wasn't secure so I used a ratchet strap to a metal beam on my garage roof but my garage is only a thin tin/alloy

This secured the bike more but I wasn't happy with it and of course the strap was through the handlebars so no good.

I have read on another site/thread that you can take the front foot pegs off and turn them upside down and then use axle stands/bottle jacks under them to secure the bike so I might test that with the bike on or off the rear paddock stand some time soon :)

·
very big dumb
8,966 Posts
i usually use 2 jackstands under a bolt through the useless front motor hole.
or tie it down with the rear in a wheel chock and lift by the motor

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i usually use 2 jackstands under a bolt through the useless front motor hole.
or tie it down with the rear in a wheel chock and lift by the motor
Funny you mention that hole. I tried it as a test not long after I got the SV but the rod I had was too small and weak. I've just sent for some A2 100mm diameter rod and combined with my Trolley jack etc I think I can make it work just in case I ever need to raise the front this way :)

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have read on another site/thread that you can take the front foot pegs off and turn them upside down and then use axle stands/bottle jacks under them to secure the bike so I might test that with the bike on or off the rear paddock stand some time soon :)
I have done this several times. It works extremely well.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
I considered tapping that hole a couple inches and permanently mounting some bolts that extend out a few inches. Thread locker. Not too much weight. A stiff rod may be a better option, which I have used

1 - 20 of 22 Posts