Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Supertwin class added to 2012 TT schedule

24/08/2011

Farquhar has championed the Supertwin class for a couple of years

By Road Racing desk
Image by Tony Goldsmith

Isle of Man TT bosses have added a Supertwin class to the 2012 schedule after it has proved its popularity on the Irish Road Racing scene over the past year and spearheaded by Dungannon's Ryan Farquhar.

Billed as the Lightweight TT, it will be a three-lapper held ahead of the Pokerstars Senior. Eligible bikes are 650cc four-stroke twin-cylinders with official entries from Kawasaki and Suzuki expected.

Points scored in the Lightweight TT Race will not contribute to the overall solo championship in 2012, the event will carry a substantial prize fund of over £25,000. The winner will also receive the prestigious Lightweight TT Trophy that was last won by three time TT Race winner Chris Palmer in 2004.

"Interest is growing in the Supertwin class and a large number of competitors as well as leading manufacturers Kawasaki and Suzuki have already expressed their backing for the race," said TT boss Paul Phillips.

"We feel it is the right time to introduce the Supertwins machines to the TT programme and their inclusion will not only benefit the TT, but is likely to speed up the growth in the class at national level, and at the other International Road Races."

in http://www.mgpfestival.com/

The following shows some of the riders who have entered the Super Twins race at the 2011 Manx Grand Prix whose entries have been accepted:
Super Twin

Robert Simcock
Suzuki SV 650

Dave Moffitt Suzuki SV 650
Paul Wardell Suzuki SV 650
Alan Jackson Kawasaki ER 650
Adrian Cox, MBE Kawasaki ER 650
Rusty Steele Suzuki SV 650
Gary Fowler Suzuki SV 650
Tom Snow Honda RS 250
Philip McGurk Springcourt ER6 650
Andy McPherson Kawasaki ER6 650
Paul Baleta Suzuki SV 650
Les Miller Suzuki SV 650
Richard Rowe Suzuki SV 600
Ross Richards Kawasaki ER6 650
Graham Rickman Kawasaki ER6 650
Tim Sayers Suzuki SV 650
Joe Philips Yamasaki ER 650
Jonny Heginbotham Kawasaki ER 650
Billy Cummins Suzuki SV 650
Brian Kneale Yamaha TZ 250
Rab Davie Kawasaki ERR 650
Ian Gardner Kawasaki ER6 650
Brian Appleton Suzuki SV 650
Peter Wakefield Honda TSR 250
Wayne Axon Suzuki SV 650
Anthony Brady Kawasaki ER 650
Dan Sayle Suzuki SV 650
Dean Martin Honda RS 250
Wayne Kirwan Suzuki SV 650
Wayne Hamilton Kawasaki ER 650
John Batty Suzuki SV 650
Phil Harvey Honda RS 250
Tukka Korhonen Honda RS 250
Neil Vicars Suzuki SV 650
Lee Darbyshire Kawasaki ER 650
Shaun Anderson Kawasaki ER 650
James McCann Kawasaki ER 650
William Davidson Kawasaki ER6 650
Michael Sweeney Suzuki SV 650
Hefyn Owen Suzuki SV 650
Bryan Allan Kawasaki ER 650
Daniel Frear Kawasaki ER 650
Dave Milling Yamaha 1991 TZ250
Mike Minns Suzuki SV 650
Andrew Farrell Kawasaki ER 650
Travis McNerney Suzuki SV 650
Anthony Porter Suzuki SV 650
Tom Llewelyn Kawasaki ER 650
Mike Minns Suzuki SV 650
Nigel Howard Suzuki SV 650
Neil Cudworth Yamaha TZ 250

Reserves

Andrew Timbrell Spondon TZ 250
Richard Gelder Kawasaki ER 650

Machine Preparation
http://www.mgpfestival.com/MGP/Machine-Preparation.aspx

Regards from Portugal,
BF

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Awesome!! On those nice tight roads it will be great to watch,not as fast mind you but still great. Maybe this will give enough of a boost that Suzuki will think about a 3rd Gen SV.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
I would think that full bodywork is pretty much a requirement. Is it available for the Gladius?

Interesting to see a few 250's salted in there, too...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
46 Posts
Awesome!! On those nice tight roads it will be great to watch,not as fast mind you but still great. Maybe this will give enough of a boost that Suzuki will think about a 3rd Gen SV.
or even better would be an SV with current tech brakes and suspension
maybe even full fairing SV650R:naughty:

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
They're not gonna create a new line of motorcycles so that 20 guys can ride the TT.

·
Registered
101 Posts

Tight roads? :lmao:

Oh, I see you're from Florida.

There are only a few out of more than 200 turns that are tight.

·
Registered
46 Posts
They're not gonna create a new line of motorcycles so that 20 guys can ride the TT.
bragging rights count a lot at factory level
i dont think theres a bigger stand alone bike race in the world then the TT
also the fact that suzuki and kawasaki have stuck there hand in their pockets says they want this title. If the photo of the bike that wins looks nothing like the bike you can buy from the dealer whats the point?
not a new line just optioned up with what they already have on the gsxr
wishful thinking yeah but stranger things have happened.
love the IOM race

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
bragging rights count a lot at factory level
i dont think theres a bigger stand alone bike race in the world then the TT
also the fact that suzuki and kawasaki have stuck there hand in their pockets says they want this title. If the photo of the bike that wins looks nothing like the bike you can buy from the dealer whats the point?
not a new line just optioned up with what they already have on the gsxr
wishful thinking yeah but stranger things have happened.
love the IOM race
The IoM may be iconic in the motorcycle world, but it just isn't a big enough venue to justify major factory support. Suz and Kaw are HURTING and are spending the absolute bare minimum for their racing programs this year. Things aren't looking any better for next year.

So, I'd bet that the manufacturers may toss up a little contingency money but I wouldn't expect a single engineering dollar to be spent.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'd like someone with firsthand knowledge to chime in, but looking at Ryan Farquhar's Ninja 650R (raced in the Irish Roadracing series), I'd say yes. It's got ZX-? USD forks and a Versys swingarm.

·
Registered
523 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
I was wondering that myself. Perhaps better mass centralization? easier to lighten? or newer bits?
I count lots of SV's (1st page post - around 20). Thats a good chunk of the field! Good showing, I'd say. It would be interesting to have a good close look at some of those SV's to see what they're made up of, how they've been race prepared, etc. Badguy - we'll need you and your crew to take lots of spy photos!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts