Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to get a general opinion from other SV riders on SS bikes. If I manage to stay alive & in good health, I know someday I'll try one out... As well as cruisers, dual sports, tourers, etc. They all serve a purpose, but what do you think of SS's on the street? State your age as well if you would be so kind, please :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
as long as you ride at your ability it's just another bike.
+1

The handling, braking, and sheer power can be a lot of fun - but unless you're on the track, you've got to exercise a lot of self control. I've had three SV's, including one SV1000S and I now have a CBR1000RR and I've got no regrets.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
SS on the street = like using a katana to chop down trees. Great tool, wrong use.

Sumos, hooligans and naughty standards are my favs for street use.

·
Registered
126 Posts
my cbr is okay on the street but the riding position is not as comfortable as my 250 so i use the lighter bike for commuting and doing errands...but in the canyons i take the 600...

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Well, I don't know how old you are, but there is likely no need to wait. Just find your local BMW dealer and ask them to take an S1000RR out for a spin.

As far as street bike goes, they'll work but there are better choices - especially if you plan on doing long trips. They generally have no accommodation for luggage and the riding position is not conducive to long days at slow speeds. (They actually take less effort to ride fast because the wind helps hold your body up at higher speeds.)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Grasshopper: a motorcycle is a motorcycle. A good rider makes the most of what he's on regardless of the environment. Street riding is dangerous and it isn't about the moto. Too many other variables to contend with...

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Grasshopper: a motorcycle is a motorcycle. A good rider makes the most of what he's on regardless of the environment. Street riding is dangerous and it isn't about the moto. Too many other variables to contend with...
Agree.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
SS on the street = like using a katana to chop down trees. Great tool, wrong use.
Wrong analogy, I think. A better one would be "like using a katana to chop carrots". It's just kinda overkill.

But then again, there aren't that many sport bike alternatives as cheap and plentiful as supersports. I mean, you have an SVS, a Ninja 250, and what else that can be commonly bought used and has cheap parts available?

·
Registered
569 Posts
I had a GSX-R 600 for the track a few years ago. That's where it's at home, living above 9,000 rpm. Of course you can use them on the street but that's not their natural habitat.
Plenty of fast, good handling street bikes available these days. I'm an old guy at 58 and I'd take an FZ1, Z1000, Speed Triple, etc. for the street if you want power.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I currently ride a GSX-R 750 and I think it is great on the street. It depends what you get and how you ride. It is definitely easy to get carried away if you arent careful and I have way more power than I will ever need on the street but I also plan to take it up to the track hopefully next year. Like others have said, it is more about the rider than the bike. I kept up pretty well with my friends on 600's flying down open highways like idiots on my SV so you can ride just as dumb on most any bike.

·
Registered
368 Posts
But Master, you're good with kung fu but what you said about moto doesn't make any sense... Each bike has a distinct and unique personality, strengths and shortcomings. That's why many of us own and enjoy riding multiple bikes.

Back on topic:

supersport = 600cc sportbike = gutless for street riding.

A literbike = now we're talking. The awesome power and riding dynamics are worth the discomfort, aches and pains, if the ride is less than 3-4 hours. I probably don't use half of the power most of the time, but having all that power in reserve feels like having a millions bucks sitting in the savings account.

An upright bike = I can ride all day, but after a few days I start missing the hard edged thrill of a literbike.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
But Master, you're good with kung fu but what you said about moto doesn't make any sense... Each bike has a distinct and unique personality, strengths and shortcomings. That's why many of us own and enjoy riding multiple bikes.

Back on topic:

supersport = 600cc sportbike = gutless for street riding.

A literbike = now we're talking. The awesome power and riding dynamics are worth the discomfort, aches and pains, if the ride is less than 3-4 hours. I probably don't use half of the power most of the time, but having all that power in reserve feels like having a millions bucks sitting in the savings account.

An upright bike = I can ride all day, but after a few days I start missing the hard edged thrill of a literbike.
Then get an upright liter bike like an FZ-1....problem solved :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsLzdyd0SzE&feature=plcp

Don't forget the ZRX1200 they are great all around bikes. I'm partial to the one in the vid. One of my best friends and his 1224 turbo. Its nasty. He is running high 8's now.
My dad has an '04 ZRX1200. The thing is awesome. Very comfortable and accepting of luggage. And when you want to go fast, it does that rather well. It's a bit heavy for incredibly aggressive riding, but as an all'rounder it is a fantastic bike.

I love trading bikes with him. The torque is just phenomenal. It really doesn't care what gear you are in, it just wants to go NOW when you roll on the throttle.

·
Registered
421 Posts
My dad has an '04 ZRX1200. The thing is awesome. Very comfortable and accepting of luggage. And when you want to go fast, it does that rather well. It's a bit heavy for incredibly aggressive riding, but as an all'rounder it is a fantastic bike.

I love trading bikes with him. The torque is just phenomenal. It really doesn't care what gear you are in, it just wants to go NOW when you roll on the throttle.
I have seen the guy in the video double back his back brake pedle, and drag his rear swing arm spoll. Just like above rider has almost everything to do with how well a bike performs. The Rex's are extremely fun I agree with you 100%. I get goose bums everytime I roll Tom's bike on. When the front end comes up in 5th from just rolling it on :worship:

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
I have seen the guy in the video double back his back brake pedle, and drag his rear swing arm spoll. Just like above rider has almost everything to do with how well a bike performs. The Rex's are extremely fun I agree with you 100%. I get goose bums everytime I roll Tom's bike on. When the front end comes up in 5th from just rolling it on :worship:
My Z1k was like that too :) Some of it may or may have not been gearing though :vroom:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts