Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've purchased two SVs via Craig's List. I've sold one SV and one Scooter there.

First CL rule: if it's too good to be true it probably is.
Second CL rule: anyone who wants to ship product or payment is probably a scam.

If you email any of these people I guarantee they'll reply with a story about how they're in the military and stationed in Alaska (or similar story and location) but can ship the bike to you free of charge once your check clears.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I see at least a dozen of these type of cycle scam ads per week om CL. (not all Sv's). CL does a good job of eliminating the ads once they're identified.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
The same ad is on the philly craigslist as well. You can usually tell a scam by the odd price.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The same ad is on the philly craigslist as well. You can usually tell a scam by the odd price.
Was it shipped from Alaska? ;D

There are definitely good deals to be had - especially in this market! That's why I always caveat with "probably". Most people will sell there bike before defaulting on their mortgage.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I thought it was funny how in some of the ads, the person will change the order of the list of mods to make it seem like its a different person haha

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
So what's the scam? They hope some bonehead in northern Michigan will just PayPal the money and never get the bike or refund?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Wow that is one fast SV. It already made it down to San Antonio. For the low price of 2,076 dollars.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/1118172687.html

Valves: 8 & Engine Type: V Twin & Very good mechanical condition & Transmission Type: Manual & This bike has been babied through its all life. & Primary Drive (Rear Wheel): Chain & Front Brake Type: Dual Hydraulic Disc & Valves Per Cylinder: 4 & Starter: Electric & Engine is super strong. Cleaned after every ride. Never seen rain. Extensive break in service completed every 600 miles & Bike cover used every day and night, as well as garage kept. & This bike is in mint condition. New tires only have 100 miles on them! Has never been crashed, dropped or put down. & Very nice low mile bike. The tank is dent and scratch free. & This bike has been babied through its all life. Bike cover used every day and night, as well as garage kept. & Cylinders: 2 & Engine Stroke: 4-Stroke & Zero problems. Bone stock - everything! & Compression Ratio: 11.5:1 & Rear Brake Type: Hydraulic Disc & Rear Tire (Full Spec); 160/60 ZR17 & Valve Configuration: DOHC & Cooling: Liquid & Front Tire (Full Spec): 120/60 ZR17 & Number Of Speeds: 6 & Pristine condition! & Starts Right Up. &

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

·
Registered
61 Posts
also posted here in pensacola. guy claiming to be stationed at minot afb about to deploy to afghanistan at the end of the month. this the same bike? dont have the add any more, but here are some pics of "his" bike.

·
Registered
61 Posts
original email i got in response to his add.

Hello and sorry for the late reply. Hope I'm not too late and you didn't already purchased another bike.
For sale is my 2006 Suzuki SV 650S in immaculate condition with only 5,045 miles, rust free, no scratch and hasn't been involved in any accident. It has an 650cc engine. This bike needs nothing and comes with a CLEAN title.
I want this transaction to be smooth and I don't have much time at my disposal to waste my time with endless discussions. I believe $2,000.00 (not negotiable) is more than a fair price.
You can reach me at (701) 212-1354 or you can email me if you are interested.

Thank you,
Lt. Col. Conley, Christopher

P.S. More pictures here: http://s730.photobucket.com/albums/ww310/chrstphrconley/

after calls only going straight to voice mail emailed again trying to weed out the ******** and got this email.

The bike is at Minot AF Base, North Dakota, where i am currently stationed, until April 27, when I will be deployed to Afghanistan. This is why I must sell it before that. Shipping won't be a problem for me. I will take care of that, with no costs on your end.
This is a large amount and I would like to conduct the deal using an authorized third party like eBay using their Purchase Protection Program, so this should eliminate any trust issues. They will keep a deposit until the purchase is final, and you test and accept the bike. If you will not get the bike as described, and also a clean title you will receive your money back.
To be able to use this program you need to qualify. I have been approved 3 years ago and I was very satisfied. So, if you are interested in buying my bike just let me know your name and shipping address.
I will forward them to eBay's protection program and wait for the approval.
The ad generated a great deal of interest and people have been calling me non stop and the line was down for a while.

is there anything that can be done about this crap? impersonating someone in the military is ******** and ripping off innocent people is as well...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts