Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it is what it is, a list with pictures of obscenely expensive motorcycles.

a number of them are from a company called ecosse, which i have never previously heard of. one of their models is the "titanum series RR" which has a titanium frame and sells for a meager $275,000.

if thats not enough bike for you, they have the "es1" which sells for 3.5 million. and it looks like somebody carved it out of soap

http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1688749_1494440,00.html

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Am I the only one that feels like custom choppers just aren't that eye catching anymore?

I'm digging that Ecosse Heretic though.

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
Roger Bourget will be out of business in 2 years. You heard it here. I predict the Teutels will be back making porch railings in the same time frame.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
This whole article is putrid.

"Whatever a customer wants, we provide," says Roger Bourget, CEO of Bourget's Bike Works in Phoenix. "We build egos for guys."

WTF does that mean? Who would ever say (or admit) such a thing about their own product? And who would buy that product after such a statement?

I reject the idea that anyone buying a Desmosidici or an Eccose needs some sort of ego bolstering.

I know plenty of hard core guys who spend big bucks for "luxury" bikes (an absurd outsider term) because they are hard core enthusiasts.

Whether expensive chopper guys have weak egos, I will leave for someone else to speculate as I pay no attention to them.

PS ... this article is from Nov. 2007 ... before the depression set in.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I feel like any of these could be built for like $10,000, ie: not that special to warrant the extra cost.
Having built a custom motorcycle, I can tell you that you are absolutely wrong.
It cost me almost $15000 to build mine (without paint) and that was getting most parts either used, free or at dealer cost.

Granted the parts manufacturers overcharge for their crap but unless you own the parts supliers, it will cost at least $20K to build a high end custom like those.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Oh and as far as bikes like the Eccose and the Confederates (I kinda put them in the same class. American V-twins with super high end components and suspensions), just the wheels and suspenssion alone would cost you almost $10,000.

These bikes are in a completely different class than the Brokenets and the Orang County Crapper bikes.
Still not worth $55K and $75K but if I had the disposable income, one of each would be in my garage.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Having built a custom motorcycle, I can tell you that you are absolutely wrong.
It cost me almost $15000 to build mine (without paint) and that was getting most parts either used, free or at dealer cost.

Granted the parts manufacturers overcharge for their crap but unless you own the parts supliers, it will cost at least $20K to build a high end custom like those.
I agree that if you are sourcing parts instead of making them or modifying existing parts you would be talking $20k. I personally would feel like an idiot riding on a custom that someone else built anyway, so please don't get into the man-hours/labor cost discussion.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I agree that if you are sourcing parts instead of making them or modifying existing parts you would be talking $20k. I personally would feel like an idiot riding on a custom that someone else built anyway, so please don't get into the man-hours/labor cost discussion.
So you're suggesting that making the parts would be cheaper than buying them from a manufacturer? You thing it would be cheaper to build your own engine, forks, triples, wheels, master cyl, trans, calipers, etc...?

About the only things that would be cheaper to make yourself than to buy would be the frame, tank and seat. That's assuming that you actually have the tools and talent to do it.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
So you're suggesting that making the parts would be cheaper than buying them from a manufacturer? You thing it would be cheaper to build your own engine, forks, triples, wheels, master cyl, trans, calipers, etc...?

About the only things that would be cheaper to make yourself than to buy would be the frame, tank and seat. That's assuming that you actually have the tools and talent to do it.
Obviously I'm not talking about the engine, forks, etc.

Look, I see you're point, and I see that you've got a lot of respect for these guys, but it's the same argument I have for selling Nike shoes for $120 while it costs $2 to make them.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts