Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea, won't be too long before I'm riding the SV to work in the morning!!

The problem that I had last year was that my ride to work is dead East, and the morning sun coming up is brutal. I wear sunglasses, but they only do so much. I 've thought about a tinted visor, but some mornings I leave while it's still dark out.

I had seen somebody who had a tinted strip across the top of his visor, which he said was pretty effective at knocking down the glare. I asked at my local bike shop, but they didn't seem to know. Anybody know where to get 'em, or have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
I have used a strip of window tint,on the inside of visor. Just above eye level.:) Any tint places have scrap.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
If you want to slap down the dough for another helmet, HJC and Scorpion both make helmets w/ a separate slide down visor for just your problem. Sort of like mini sunglasses on the inside of your visor.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Don't spend $8-12 on a strip of window tint, it's such a ripoff. You can get a yard of the stuff for the same price or less from an automotive parts store.

Stop by a window tint store, they should have scrap as doxiedog says. It can help reducing glare and fill in the holes where light leaks in around your sunglasses.

·
Registered
908 Posts
what kind of helmet do you have? i've seen visors for arai helmets that change with sunlight. the brighter it gets, the darker it gets. it was an after market company so they probably make them for other brands as well

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
A couple of strategically placed pieces of electrical tape make a stellar 'sunvisor'. If needed, you can simply tear the tape off.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
You can get static cling tint at walmart for pretty cheap, I use it sometimes when I leave before sun-up or leave during the day but stay gone untill dark. Just cut a peice to fit your sheild, stick it on when you need it, tear it off and roll it up and stick it in a baggie when you don't. I go through one tint peice maybe every two months, still got about 75% of the roll left after a year lol.

·
Registered
984 Posts
If you want to slap down the dough for another helmet, HJC and Scorpion both make helmets w/ a separate slide down visor for just your problem. Sort of like mini sunglasses on the inside of your visor.
I have a Large HJC FS-10 for sale right now! I can tell you, that sunshield is great, and I really miss it.

I have a big ass pair of polarized sunglasses glasses that work pretty well for bright sun, but I'm thinking about getting some of the static-cling tint to try out as well. I work evenings, and it never fails, about every other time I ride, I leave the sunglasses sitting on my desk, and have to squint the next day!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have a black tinted shield, I have been forced a few times to ride when its dark with it and I can still see, its a little darker but its not like you cant see at all. I could see enough to get me home around 20 miles at pitch black middle of the night a few times. I personally love my tinted shield.

·
Registered
973 Posts
The best thing to cut sun glare is a pair of polarized sunglasses.
+1 quality lenses are your best bet IMO. or at least the quickest. im sure the tint would work too though. you may consider some amber colored lenses or tint, good ones will still
block the rays and allow you to see well in low light conditions, or at night if you ride
with your visor up.

·
Registered
290 Posts
get a shield pouch and carry a tinted one with you. thats what i do. takes 5 seconds to swap on my rf-1000. they even make slings that you wear and the shield is worn around your side under your jacket.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I have a mirrored visor for my Shoei RF1000. I've had it for almost an entire year now and it really cuts down on the glare from the sun.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yea, won't be too long before I'm riding the SV to work in the morning!!

The problem that I had last year was that my ride to work is dead East, and the morning sun coming up is brutal. I wear sunglasses, but they only do so much. I 've thought about a tinted visor, but some mornings I leave while it's still dark out.
Are you trying to cut down on the glare of the sun off of surfaces, or reduce the amount of sun shining directly into your face? Based on what I remember about polarization from physics class, it blocks glare off of surfaces because the reflecting light is horizontally polarized. Polarized lenses will block some of the direct light waves from the sun, but not many of them because this light has polarization in all directions.

I was thinking the same thing. And then I got to wondering, has anyone made a polarized visor? This would help with the sun glare during the day, and possibly with the glare from oncoming headlights at night.

Edit: I've been reading a bit to refresh my memory, and I found that LCD displays can be hard or impossible to read through polarized lenses. This might cause a slight problem when trying to view a digital speedometer...

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
When I wear polarized sunglasses under my clear visor the combination of the sunglasses behind my visor distorts colors. It's quite annoying actually.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I remember learning that in physics too... It has something to do with the plastic being stressed differently in different spots, and therefore it bends the light differently.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I also just carry my clear visor with me when I ride, so I can change them out if it is getting too dark to ride with the tinted one. I often wear my glasses (prescription) in my helmet, so I found it way easier to just change the shield if I need to.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts