Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Write Up - Summit Point Race Weekend - June 29 - July 1

Summit Point Race Weekend - June 29 - July 1 - The adventures of me and my litte SV650.

Friday Practice Day - MARRC

Hot. That sums up this day. Started off good in the AM just trying to get loose and work out some kinks to try and get my times down. Chris Cooke with RPM Motorsports worked with me a little and got my times down into the 26's. Huge improvement over last race weekend. Loved my new riding suit and helment. I felt so loose it in and I think that helped a ton. Got some new rubber. I had a bout with some heat exhaustion and quit riding early afternoon. Got a shower and tried to get some rest in the A/C.

Was awakened by Castle. Needed to pack everything up in about 30 minutes because of bad weather coming in. I tried to leave before it came to just try and get some rest. Then the storms came. Hit a huge tree branch in the truck leaving and had a 100% brake failure and punched a hole in the transmission cooler. Bummer. Back to Summit.

Dennis was nice enough to let me share Castle's pop up again so I had a cool and dry place to sleep. Thank goodness.

Racing Day 1 - Saturday.

Much cooler in the morning then it was the day before. The pits were a disaster. Canopy bone yard in T10 was a sign we were hit pretty hard. Bikes went down, power surges killed A/C units and fans etc... We trucked on. Skipped first round of practice to get all set back up. Went out for practice #2 to scrub in the tires.

And we're off. Day 1 -

Race 3 - GT Lights - Reduced from 25 minutes, to 20.

Best Lap - 01:26.948

I got a great start and was in 2nd for a majority of the race, but the heat got to me and lost a position as my laptimes dropped off. 3rd Place.

Race 7 - Light Weight Super Sport - 6 Lap Sprint

Best Lap - 01:28.303

Got a good start again but my laps were just off here. I was getting held up a bit and just couldn't get free. Stupid Ducati 1000 beat me to 3rd on the last lap. 4th.

Race 13 - Light Weight Grand Prix - 6 Lap Sprint

Best Lap - 01:27.329

Feeling a litte better this race. Made some crucial mistakes with exiting corners in the wrong gear and just generally being a pansy through Turn 3. Could not quite catch the leader after doing so. 2nd.

Overall a good day and I learned a lot more about racing and what needs to be done to be competitive in my classes as well as information about my competitors.

Threat of another storm was there. Packed everything up again... Got some food and a shower and was in bed by 8:30....

Day 2 -

Skipped practice... cause Im cool like that.

Race 5 - Ultralightweight Superbike - 6 Lap Sprint

Best Lap - 01:25.560

Got a smoking start on this race. Was in the expert grid by T1 to put the guys in my race at bay for a bit. Was in the 26's for most of the race. Lap 5, I get passed on the brakes into T1. ****. Am I really going to lose this on the last lap? I don't think so buddy. Stalked the leader for the entire lap waiting for either a mistake or an opportunity. Be patient. T9 wasnt quite enough room so I waited until T10 and boom. Got just enough extra drive and draft to get by on the line.

My first racing win... damn it feels good to be a gangster. What an awesome feeling.

Race 10 - Rookies Cup GT Lights - 6 Lap Sprint

Best Lap - 01:27.216

This race...was...a....****....show. There are people that have no business with race licenses. Hacked lines, tons of run offs etc... I got a 2nd. Doubt I will be racing this one anymore.

Race 17 - Lightweight Superbike - 6 Lap Sprint

Best Lap - 01:27.817

There was only two of us competing here but we were tied with F40, so I was going to go hunting there. Red flags galore - restarts... hot... and my only competitor crashed out behind me. Bummer. I got first, but it didnt feel the same as the hard fought one.

6 races, 5 podiums. I am pretty happy with how things went for my 2nd race weekend. Lots of improvement.

Thanks again to all the family and friends that came out to support and lended a hand along the way.

Noodie out.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Great work, 25's is moving pretty good out there.

Z

·
Registered
799 Posts
Nice work Nate... you're going to need to buy a decent sized trophy/plaque case soon. =) Like Jeremy, I hope to be out there on the grid with you next round in LW to make it more interesting. Seems there are plenty of guys on SV's and lightweights but the majority are experts. Would be great if there was at least a little bit of contingency to be had tire wise in LW AM.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Congrats man. 5 out of 6 podiums and your first 2 wins...I guess that's a fair reason for missing the wedding :p

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks dude! We were thinking good thoughts for you!

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
Congrats man. Good work.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I really wish that slower "expert" on the yellow and white bike wouldn't have gotten us so spread apart so we could have had a little more lead swapping, was a blast up until you surprised me at the line :)

Can't wait till the next time, GF just mentioned a trip to IL for some family thing the same weekend as the next Summit round :( gotta do some contemplating

**just realized I haven't uploaded that video yet, I will try to get it online tonight

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AWESOME! Thanks for those man!

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks man - Aug 25th to go and duke it out again!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts