Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CMRA rules require a steering damper for all bikes, including SVs. I'm trying my best to avoid having to fork out real money for a Scott's or GPR, and was hoping that there are some budget options available. Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GSX-R damper and nucular mounts
Any particular year/model of GSX-R? I tried searching for nucular mounts, but couldn't find a vendor. Got a link?

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
i agree with these guys. i picked up my damper for 15 bucks shipped on ebay. then got nuculars mounts. very clean setup.

·
Registered
184 Posts
works great, some people suggest swapping out the stock oil in the gsxr damper with thicker oil, personaly I didn't. I see no difference riding the bike with the damper on the bike or off the bike. but I never had a tank slapper either so maybe that why I think the stock oil is ok..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, that was exactly the info that I was looking for. I sent nucular a PM.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Quick question: I bought nucular's mounts for a sterring damper, nice bit of kit. I am running 2006 GSXR forks and lower triple which includes the mount for the stock damper.

My question is has anyone ever mounted up an aftermarket damper using nucular's mount and the stock lower triple mount? I can buy used Ohlins dampers on eBay for around $150 or so and I would like to go that route instead of the stock GSXR damper for more adjustability.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Quick question: I bought nucular's mounts for a sterring damper, nice bit of kit. I am running 2006 GSXR forks and lower triple which includes the mount for the stock damper.

My question is has anyone ever mounted up an aftermarket damper using nucular's mount and the stock lower triple mount? I can buy used Ohlins dampers on eBay for around $150 or so and I would like to go that route instead of the stock GSXR damper for more adjustability.
Haven't seen it done but it should work fine. Any linear style damper should work just as well or better if it's an Ohlins as one that came off a GSXR. Just be sure it's the right length.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
$25 GSXR damper, $.99 lock-nuts, scrap metal and about 2hrs and I've got a budget damper instl!

Flushed and refilled the damper with 17.5wt fork oil I had laying about and Im happy thus far! Of course, I have t got to take it back to the track yet.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
No knocks against the true budget damper, I'm just looking for something a bit more high tech. I like the fact that a higher-end damper will provide more damping resistance at the end of each stroke and less resistance in the middle of the stroke, makes it easier to move the bike around the pits :D

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Haven't seen it done but it should work fine. Any linear style damper should work just as well or better if it's an Ohlins as one that came off a GSXR. Just be sure it's the right length.
That's what I want to know, the length of the stock GSXR damper from eyelet to eyelet. THe stock ZX10R dampers do not have an adjustable bracket so if the eyelet to eyelet dimension is larger than the GSXR dimension it wouldn't work.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
That's what I want to know, the length of the stock GSXR damper from eyelet to eyelet. THe stock ZX10R dampers do not have an adjustable bracket so if the eyelet to eyelet dimension is larger than the GSXR dimension it wouldn't work.
ZX10R damper works, although it runs out of travel before my steering stops do, so I bent the bracket when I crashed.

http://lolinter.net/crash/IMG_0324.JPG shows it post crash, but it worked fine. I believe my bracket is nucular but can't be sure - it was on the bike when I bought it.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
No knocks against the true budget damper, I'm just looking for something a bit more high tech. I like the fact that a higher-end damper will provide more damping resistance at the end of each stroke and less resistance in the middle of the stroke, makes it easier to move the bike around the pits :D
Who says cheap dampers don't do that?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Oh and Nucular thanks for the pic, much appreciated. Do you happen to know that the minimum distance is between the two eyelets when the damper is fully compressed?

·
Registered
392 Posts
ZX10R damper works, although it runs out of travel before my steering stops do, so I bent the bracket when I crashed.

http://lolinter.net/crash/IMG_0324.JPG shows it post crash, but it worked fine. I believe my bracket is nucular but can't be sure - it was on the bike when I bought it.
I was able to make the ZX10R Ohlins damper work with Nuc's bracket and only after padding out Nuc's bracket off the fairing stay with 2 - 1.5mm washers and also padding out my steering stops on the frame another 3mm each side.
Those ZX10R dampers also need to be reworked internally to really function correctly. At the end of the day, I ended up spending $125 for the ZX10R Ohlins damper off Craigslist and another $100 to get the internals reworked so the damping adjuster would actually do what it was supposed to do... :(
Lesson learned
The problem with those ZX10R dampers is that they don't have enough throw to the stroke and unless you pad out the frame stops, you will bottom out travel on the stroke which is a no no...
If I were to do it all over again I would purchase a used Ohlins damper for a GSXR and be done with it...my 2 cts. anyway....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts