Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in the market for something to wear when riding, that can be worn all day, whether it be in an office environment, light outdoor work, or indoor shop/warehouse use.

Obviously, anything less than a full-boot will over less protection than optimally desired. I have accepted this risk in exchange for convenience. :thumbsup:

My current solution is to carry a spare set of shoes/workboots with me. As my type of work changes on a daily basis, this is problematic. Also, many of the people I work with are... how do I say... "less than trustworthy", so leaving any personal items at my place of work is less than desired.

I only mention the two paragraphs above in the hopes to head off the obvious questions. ;D Very well. On to it...

So far I've found the following options:

TCX X-Square boots
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/tcx/x_square_boots.html

Alpinestars SMX-2 Boots
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/stree...oots/alpinestars/s_mx_2_motorcycle_boots.html

TourMaster Response 2.0 Boots
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/stree..._master/response_2_waterproof_road_boots.html

All three seem to have at or above-ankle protection, good reviews, and decent styling. From my own experience, I know that TourMaster/Cortech gear seems to wear well too. I have no experience with Alpinestars or TCX.

I'd like everyone else's input on other possible choices for boots, whatever they may be. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
I've had the Icon superduty 3 for 3 years now, and have served me well. Very comfy to wear all day, and you can probabl find them for around 70 bucks if you search enough. I got them brand new with tags off of ebay for 70 bucks. Now they have another version of the superduty, but I have no experience with it.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I should also add that I will never buy/receive as a gift/own Icon gear of any kind. But you're thinking, and I like that. :thumbsup;
If that is your mentality without actually inspecting each product on its own merits, you will miss out on a lot of great products. I generally wouldnt choose icon either but I have icon overpants that had great reviews and I love them. That being said, my Sidi fusion boots are great to wear all day and offer more protection than a shoe will.

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've inspected plenty of Icon products.

I'll check out the Sidi's, as I had a pair of Sidi full-boots many years ago that were possibly the most comfortable thing I've work, motorbike boot wise. Not sure they allowed enough movement to be worn all day though. I'll check out the Fusions.

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have worn Sidi Cobras all day, but I wouldn't subject my boots to oil/debris/rust of a shop.
Another reason I don't want to wear my current boots while working. Not to mention they have very little traction on our concrete floor. I've discovered this several times.

For what it's worth, Honda Polish + painted concrete floor = Desmo ice-capades. ;D

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Rather than make a motorcycle boot work for me all day, I make an all-day boot work for my ride. Steel-toe hiking boots with full ankle coverage have been my go-to for several years because I can count on them for some protection on the bike (commuting), wear them on a construction site, and not be too out of place in the office. You have to contend with laces, which are the riskiest part IMO, but a well tied knot usually assures no entanglement. If you're worried about scratches, get cloth eyelets. I find metal ones hold up best and aren't that much of a problem.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I will second Prodigy's recommendation on the Super Duties. Regardless of your blanket opinion of all Icon products, I have already gone through a set of Super Duty 2s and am now on a set of the 3s and they are a good boot.

I hadn't seen those tourmasters before. Is the lace strap velcro?

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Workboots, especially steel-toed ones, won't work for me. I find it very hard to get a feel for the foot controls with them.

If Icon doesn't want me to have a bad opinion of their products, they need to work on their quality of the items I do have experience with. :thumbsup:

The strap on the TourMaster boots appears to be velcro, yes.

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If people are that easily turned off due to brand loyalty or quick judgement, I'd rather not hear from them in the first place. ;D

If someone asked what a good entry-level standard motorbike was, and said "NO DUCATIS!", I'd still have plenty of suggestions for them, based on their needs/opinions. Maybe that comes from me dealing with customers in similar situations? :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
So you're looking for a short boot, or a full lenght is a possibility too? because I've heard that the TCX Airtech are pretty awesome.

They don't look too flashy also, they are waterproof but still very breathable

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
I have the Solution 2.0s, just got them this spring. They are a comfortable, well made riding boot. They are acceptable to wear and walk in all day, but I honestly wouldn't. In your position, I'd consider either an actual work boot (Red Wing or Doc Marten) or a work styled riding boot like the Superduties above. The Solutions are very much a riding boot first, as I expect the TCX and A* to be as well. Excellent on bike, acceptable off. For a boot you'll be spending eight to ten hours a day in, I'd aim for excellent off bike, acceptable on.

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So you're looking for a short boot, or a full lenght is a possibility too? because I've heard that the TCX Airtech are pretty awesome.
They don't look too flashy also, they are waterproof but still very breathable
Those look great, but I'm just afraid that a full boot won't move as much. Since the whole point of a full-boot is to provide rigidity, I think I need to steer clear of them.

Right now, either the TCX's or Alpinestars look to be the top two. I'll see what my price is at work, which will probably be the deciding factor.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Motorcycling boots are for motorcycling.

Work boots are for working.

It would be much easier to use work boots for both, rather than making motorcycling boots work for both.

Your best option is probably finding a better way to secure your belongings while you're at work, especially if it is a recurring issue.

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Motorcycling boots are for motorcycling.

Work boots are for working.

It would be much easier to use work boots for both, rather than making motorcycling boots work for both.

Your best option is probably finding a better way to secure your belongings while you're at work, especially if it is a recurring issue.

I disagree, but thanks for playing. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts