Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'02 SV650, '80 XT500, '06 WR250R
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question regarding riding in high RPM's. Just got a '02 SV with a clean bill of health and tune up from a well regarded local shop. Love it but was passing a car on the freeway and experienced a loss of power at high RPM's on the freeway. I was definitively pushing it HARD in a lower gear. Oddly the same thing happened to me when I was passing someone on a newer T100 last year as well. Was overtaking someone going up 1 and was HIGH in the power band and it just dropped power. I've owned quite a few old CB's, a couple XT's, GSXR's, a 929, SM610 etc and have never experienced this before. Both times it happened I shifted up immediately and all was good.

The bike just had a tune up and the mechanic gave it glowing reviews and am wondering if I just never hit the end of the power band on any of my other bikes. I've never done a track day but have been riding since I was 14 and do ride pretty aggressively so it seems pretty unlikely but....

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

The T100 was a big let down btw......fine cruiser but literally turned around about a mile up Skaggs Springs Rd in Northern Ca due to the handling. So far the SV has exceeded my expectations other than that one incident.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I was hoping for. Odd I never hit it on my 929 or '90 GSXR. I'm already more comfortable on the SV than I ever was on those bikes though so....

Will wring it's neck tomorrow:D

Cheers!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might have been going completely by ear. The Gixxer and 929 probably had redlines just over where you had shifted before.
I've DEFINITELEY been going by ear. I'm currently riding w/ an open faced dual-sport type helmet and this is still the quietest bike I've ever ridden. The T100 was louder. Oy
Never realized how much of an effect the volume of the exhaust had on my riding. It feels completely foreign for me to be looking at the tach as I ride. Turns out I've always been lucky to ride, relatively, loud bikes I spose.

Got a 14" Delkevic slip on in the mail. That should get it sorted.

Thanks all

·
Registered
333 Posts
One thing I noticed about this motor is that it sounds like a tractor. A bit raspy and industrial. My brother noted that it works like a tractor, too! Good, tractable torque down low so you can slum around on it, but it’s an additional limitation to only <650cc of power. At 6500rpm it wakes up and makes you think it wants to give you more as the revs go higher… when it’s more spirit than substance. 😉

1 - 8 of 8 Posts