Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought some SM 2 bars for my 03 sv and will be installing them soon. Any pointers or tips? I will post some clear pictures for any of those looking to purchase them, and maybe answer a few questions.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
pretty straightforward install. Don't forget the tricks with grips: a little carb cleaner under them will get them off really easily; a little hairspray (the cheap kind) will get them back on easily and will act like glue once dry.

·
Registered
744 Posts
The hairspray trick has never worked for me. I recommend the weather strip adhesive you can find at any car parts store. Best stuff I've ever used.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've successfully removed and replaced my grips using only rubbing alcohol. Use the alc to thoroughly clean the bar and throttle tube as well before installing the grips. Works great and you don't have to deal with messy glues.

Also, not sure about SM bars but the stock bar has a hole for the notch on the left-side controls. I just removed the notch and haven't had any trouble with it moving or slipping on my bikemaster bars.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just installed the type 1 bars last week and yes it is overall pretty simple. I had to end up doing some minor adjustments to the clutch cable and throttle to make sure things wouldn't stick and had the right amount of tension, but otherwise it's very straightforward.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
if you have an air compressor, a shot of air between the bars and grip will make removal/installation a breeze.

you don't really need an adhesive.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ill try the air, I replaced the grips on my dirt bike a while back, but don't remember exactly how i did it (screwdriver and wd-40 to remove), but i know for sure that i didn't have to use anything to hold the rubber to the bar.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Just used some WD-40 to help slip my grips on and let them dry, didn't have to do anything else.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the bars on....Install took all of 20 minutes. Went for a ride and I absolutely love these bars. such a better feel and look. A must have for anyone looking to upgrade.
check out the pics.....

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Thanks for the pics now get rid of those mirrors lol

how long did it take you to ship? (assuming you order them from suburban-machinery) and did you get a confirmation e-mail after you paid/bought them from their website?

I just ordered the SM1 bars today and would like to have an idea on how long will it take to ship.

btw I also got a blue 03!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the pics now get rid of those mirrors lol

how long did it take you to ship? (assuming you order them from suburban-machinery) and did you get a confirmation e-mail after you paid/bought them from their website?

I just ordered the SM1 bars today and would like to have an idea on how long will it take to ship.

btw I also got a blue 03!

I bought them off ebay, so I cant help you out there. The bars took about 4 days to ship, if thats helps?? Sorry bout the mirrors, There the only ones i got for now. spent too much on these bars, I need to save up again :'( .

btw nice choice on the bike :rock:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts