Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try this?

Since I don't carry passengers, I removed the pegs from my bike. However, it occured to me if I replaced the peg with something stubby and rigid (aluminum billet?), it could still be used as a passenger peg in an emergencie, but it would serve a useful function as an additional frame slider. The left side (first gen) peg mount is not super sturdy, but so what?

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
wee twin said:
However, it occured to me if I replaced the peg with something stubby and rigid (aluminum billet?), it could still be used as a passenger peg in an emergencie, but it would serve a useful function as an additional frame slider. The left side (first gen) peg mount is not super sturdy, but so what?
I would adivse against trying to use a billet attached directly to the peg mount b/c it's way too high to put your feet on.

What do you mean the left side mount isn't sturdy? I've never had problems w/mine.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Passenger peg mounts dont look like they would hold up much. You'd most likely twist your subframe, which is more costly than busting up a tail half.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
You'd mangle the subframe. If you crash hard enough (or slide far enough) with the pegs on you'll do that anyway, though. I always put my pillion pegs back on for trackdays, though, because subframes are cheap. I've got a rhs pillion hanger that's had about an inch ground off the side of it :) Glad that happened to a replaceable part and not, y'know, a crankcase or real frame part.

You'd not want to have it double as a pillion peg though, and you'd not want it to be billet- you want crash bungs to be soft. Delrin or similiar absorbs damage far better than metal, transmits force less well 9ie, won't just transfer impacts to the bike) and also don't slide so well, so they help slow your bike after a drop. And you don't need to have it stick out far either, just a wee one inch bung could be effective. If you've got normal sliders, that could be enough to mean that in a lowside all that touches down is teh slider, peg/bung, frame sliders, bar and tyres.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Nate ... you listening to this?

I was thinking of putting a cowl on but removing the pegs and putting Delrin sliders there.

Inch to Inch and a half long ...

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Currently said:
Nate ... you listening to this? 
I'm listening, oh wait you mean the other Nate...

The problem I see with sliders on the subframe besides tweaking the subframe is that the only thing it would protect really is the tail plastic. The frame sliders serve a purpose of protecting the frame and engine case primarily, with an added bonus of oftenly protecting the gas tank, radiator and even keeping some other parts from being damaged significantly.

Point I'm making is, buying swingarm sliders would be hard to justify the cost when the only thing really at stakes is a 75$ tail half. A 50$ part to save a 75$ part. Sliders wont protect sub frame from bending, they bend pretty easy actually and having a slider sticking out might induce it to bend in a situation it may not have.

Just a few thoughts, I'd love to protect my tail too but it's just not a strong enough argument for me.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
I was thinking of the right side with a 400 dollar highmount exhaust there.

That extra bung is really there to provide a plane for the bike to slide on in a low side.

High side ... all bets are off ... even with the front sliders <cringe>

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Currently said:
I was thinking of the right side with a 400 dollar highmount exhaust there.
Would a 1.5 inch bung cover the pipe though? It would have to stick out pretty far if I imagine correctly.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
The high mount, hell yeah ... take a look at Dale's page on his website.

The high mount is routed inside the passenger peg brace.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Hmm...yes it is, probably the only high mount thats really "tucked" in there. Micron and scorpions are massive in comparison. Only 1.5" ya say? I have the stock suzuki sliders from when I had fairings, I think those stuck out at least 1.5", you could bolt those to the passenger peg mount and theoritically they'd work.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
I would not want much longer than an inch and a half.
Longer would provide a lever arm that would translate the force to the subframe as you mentioned earlier.

Just want a triangle of delrin for the bike to float on on a low side. Front - swingarm - peg location.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
This could easily be a DIY project, as you could take pretty much any slider and cut it to length yourself, its not like sliders are hard metal :)

Then just find the right sized bolt, and make sure theres not play between the bolt and metal sleeve in the slider. Should work dandy.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Got to order new RH slider from Nate next week.
21 bucks for new one ... can use the ground up one for experimenting on!

Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, these were some good responses.  I never thought about transfering force to the sub-frame...

The only reason I mentioned aluminum billet is I assumed that something like "Delrin" (HDPE?) was not abrasive-resistant enough to be useful as a slider - but I know nothing about this - maybe that's exactly what I should use. It would certainly scrub more speed off than metal.  Actually, I ride with saddlebags most of the time so the slider/protection thing is sort of moot.  

I was thinking of something maybe 1.5-2" which could still be used for a peg if necessary.  I just hate having stuff on my bike that isn't strictly functional - such as the left side passenger peg bracket- even though I do attach bungees to it. :)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, these were some good responses.  I never thought about transfering force to the sub-frame...

The only reason I mentioned aluminum billet is I assumed that something like "Delrin" (HDPE?) was not abrasive-resistant enough to be useful as a slider - but I know nothing about this - maybe that's exactly what I should use. It would certainly scrub more speed off than metal.  Actually, I ride with saddlebags most of the time so the slider/protection thing is sort of moot.  

I was thinking of something maybe 1.5-2" which could still be used for a peg if necessary.  I just hate having stuff on my bike that isn't strictly functional - such as the left side passenger peg bracket- even though I do attach bungees to it. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
You WANT the Delrin to abrade off!

The Delrin is absorbing energy from the crash and bending and chewing up.
That is what you want it to do. Delrin is considered disposable.

Billet will transfer almost 100% of the forces to the sub frame.
Billet sliders have been known to crack frames!

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Currently said:
Billet will transfer almost 100% of the forces to the sub frame.
Billet sliders have been known to crack frames!
But they are so blingin'! I laugh everytime I see a bike with a set of chrome or simiiliar looking sliders on them. I guess they dont know that it will most likely end up causing more damage in anything but a tip over.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts