Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is a repost...

From the Motorcycle News website:

"This new single-cylinder sportsbike features a Subaru-badged engine and could be on sale next year at a bargain price.

The engine for the HS500sa comes directly from Fuji Heavy Industries, the parent company of Subaru. It’s a 499cc, water-cooled, DOHC single, originally developed to be used in quad bikes and used by Polaris. The motor is notable for its lightweight design – it tips the scales at 43kg – and its ability to meet American and European emissions restrictions, a vital part of Sasaki’s plan as he intends to sell the machine worldwide.

With 50bhp at 8000rpm, the motor is on a par with engines from more familiar manufacturers, and its 33lbft of torque, peaking at 7000rpm, should be enough to give the lightweight HS500sa decent acceleration.

The bike’s chassis is built in China to keep costs down. Like most of the latest Japanese sportsbikes, it’s made from cast aluminium – although the hefty-looking frame rails look over-engineered for a 50bhp single. The swingarm is also cast aluminium, and heavily braced – giving the look of a much more powerful bike."

Would be interesting to see a street legal single cylinder sportbike on the streets and track(that's not a dual purpose or supermoto).

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Made in China? Careful - if you lick the frame you might get cyanide poisoning!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I am sure the Japanese will make sure manufacturing tolerances of the frame in China will be up to spec. If they could make pricing competitive with the new 250r, it might have a chance here.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Wow, anyone else remember the April fools thing about a Subaru motorcycle last year? Funny that there was a bit of truth to it(obviously not the 2 wheel drive part).

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
What's the weight?
I drooled over the Mito 500 at the Motorcycle Show last year. This looks like it could be a less costly alternative. Think about tooling around on something that weighs 350lbs with 50hp. Sure, going fast is fun, but going QUICK is funner!

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Still love the mito but I doubt we will see it...maybe this thing will be light also...

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
why would they put inverted forks and that beefed up of a swingarm on a thumper 500??

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Um because it's a thumper doesn't mean it shouldn't benefit from current technology. How many dirt bikes now have inverted forks. Of course my current tech argument only works if they are half decent forks and not for bling

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
What's the weight?
I drooled over the Mito 500 at the Motorcycle Show last year. This looks like it could be a less costly alternative. Think about tooling around on something that weighs 350lbs with 50hp. Sure, going fast is fun, but going QUICK is funner!
The SV isn't that far from those numbers. Claimed dry weight is something like 360 lbs and power is ~65hp.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Yeah...they should make it around 320 lbs :)

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
inverted forks are for performance reasons. Who is gonna race that bike? i shouldn't say that because people used to say "who would race a sv650?"

·
Registered
145 Posts
There obviously is a glaring typo in that Motorcycle News report. One kg is 2.2 lbs, so 43 kg (double 43 is 86, then add 9.6 more) is about 96 pounds!! We can dream, but I'm guessing that should have read 196 kg, or 431 lbs.

If you figure the SV weighs 430 lbs (?) and makes 70 hp, that's 6.1 lbs/hp. Only having 50 hp would be pretty sad.

·
Registered
53 Posts
There obviously is a glaring typo in that Motorcycle News report. One kg is 2.2 lbs, so 43 kg (double 43 is 86, then add 9.6 more) is about 96 pounds!! We can dream, but I'm guessing that should have read 196 kg, or 431 lbs.
I think the 43kg was referencing the engine weight rather than the total bike weight.

"The motor is notable for its lightweight design – it tips the scales at 43kg..."

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
That all depends too, this bike, depending where it tips the scales could actually work out to be a performer...unlike the hyosung

EDIT:: not to bash hyos. Just saying that it would actually be lighter than it's competition and come with decent components.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts