Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiyo!
Took my SV1000 on a 400 mi trip on sunday. I live in chicago, and heard of some awesome roads down on US 20 (close to the border of IL and IA). When i reached the destination i was so delighted of the slopes and twisties, it was juts awesome. New tarmac, bumpless, smooth roads, just awesome. So there she was... after a nice short straight she was bending at about 100-120 degrees. I was doing about 75 mph, up until i saw the warning sign that said "30mph". up i go, engine brake to about 55mph. i was just confident that i could take her, i could see the exit and leaned the bike over. I dont know what the f**k got into me, i got instantly scared, right at the apex, and hit the brakes... WHAM!!! shoulder first, i kissed her, then pelvis next, she f**ked me. i got up right away, but my shoulder and pelvis were numb. i was wearing a helmet, gloves and leather jacket with armor so i was ok, nothing broke or got scraped up real bad. but i was left with a nice souvenir: a nice, volleyball-sized bruise on my left pelvis and a sore shoulder. the next day i decided to go to the ER just to get checked out, and im ok. Doc gave me some vicodin for the pain and ill be back at work on thursday (i do lots of physical labor, so i cant lift much on the sore shoulder, or bend over)
As for the bike... not so bad either. i was delighted to find that i could ride my bike back home (as i was some 3.5 hrs away). I lost the headlight completely, handlebar is a little warped, a little bump on the gas tank, and a few scrapes on the front fender (which almost dissapeared after i waxed it). What got really scraped up is the left pipe, but who cares, it was stock.
Thanks to the 2 harley dudes and a guy that lived not too far from the accident site. i also got pulled over by a super cool state trooper for not having a headlight. He gave me a "waiver" so if i was to get pulled over again, i wouldnt get a ticket.
I feel like such an idiot. But the spill didnt spoil my 400 mile journey, i had an awesome time, and i have the bruise to prove it!

·
Registered
127 Posts
well first and foremost, im glad your ok. could have been a lolt worse obviously. and as for feeling stupid, it will pass. the important part is that you learned something from this... or at least i hope you did  ;D. plus, you got VICODEN! party time!!!  ;)

when i got to the part where you said your shoulder hit first i got that reluctantly familiar feeling of hitting pavement. thats a sucky thing to happen to anyone, but hopefully it will make you a better rider from now on. like those gay little animated soldiers that haunt my dreams always say; "knowing is half the battle!"
(note; i mean no offense to anyone in the armed forces or differently oriented, its all in good fun :))

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yikes. Glad your injuries weren't worse. Any idea why you panicked? You were fine with all the twisties up until then?

Have a quick recovery!

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
I believe there are stupider mistakes you can make on a bike, yours is up there but not in the top 5 all time mistakes made.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it was just bad, bad judgement, knowing i could have taken the turn with about 50-55 i was fine up until i hit the apex, for an instant i thought "maybe im going too fast" and that's when i kinda panicked. it sucked. i was fine through the rest of the twisties, i was on those things for like an hour before the spill. Maybe i was just tired. i was well into my 5th hour on the bike.

Another thing, if anyone has any suggestions. my handlebar is warped, so i was going to ask if anyone knows a good place to get an aftermarket one, since the stock one is kind of uncomfortable. i saw an ad for those "adjustable" ones but i think they would look kinda silly on this bike. Id love to have on that is like half an inch higher or something. sitting a tad more upright would make the ride more enjoyable, imo

·
Registered
469 Posts
Do not brake in a curve. Yep, got lectured that multiple times in MSF course. Glad you came out mostly unscathed.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
DrummerDaveB said:
What's #1, trying to drive off w/ your disk lock still on?
Yep!

G

·
DrummerDaveB said:
What's #1, trying to drive off w/ your disk lock still on?
That's #1 1/2. Driving off with a 6 feet chain through the front rim and around a steel pole i s#1. How the Hell could I miss that? :-[

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Parker03GT said:
Do not brake in a curve. Yep, got lectured that multiple times in MSF course. Glad you came out mostly unscathed.
As noobs, that's just about true. I've gotten pretty good at it. I started trying it because I knew it would come in handy.
You can even notice pro racers doing it.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Hi-T said:
I thought #1 was getting off the bike without putting the kickstand down....
No... jumping on the bike with no seat.... or is that bicycles?

G

·
Sometimes we all have brain farts.  On longer rides I sometimes get concentration lapses even going in a straight line, just split-second WTF am I doing.  I have to talk to myself to get back in focus, or do a lane change or hit the gas to wake up the ol gray matter.   I am glad to hear you are ok!   Don't feel that bad about it, one of the Motor Cyclist writers recently was riding and just forgot to pay attention and drove straight into the woods by accident, so it can happen to the 'pro's too.  Obviously in a car(have you ever gotten down a mile of road and realized you didnt remember driving it?) there's more room for error sometimes.   I still believe that no matter how much you ride, you are never fully experienced untill you go down once, so you will definately become a better rider for it.   Fortunately/unfortunately?  I have not had that 'lesson' yet,  I sure hope there are no trees involved :eek:

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
yah pro racers brake through turns. its called trail braking but its not very hard and its usually only up though the first 1/4 of the turn. the apex is the worst possible place to brake.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Heh. I was just out in that area on saturday. We were north by sunday though. You should have come out with CLSB. I went down on sunday too, but I was up in western Wisconsin. Its one heck of a hike back from there. Im carrying spare levers when I go that far from home from now on.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
B.a. said:
yah pro racers brake through turns.  its called trail braking but its not very hard and its usually only up though the first 1/4 of the turn.  the apex is the worst possible place to brake.
Well, I was actually referring to the Biaggi's mistake this weekend when he went way wide on a turn and was braking hard while leaned way over to keep from going off the track.... not trail braking. But you're right otherwise

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
you're alive... can't be the stupidest. ;)

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Maritan said:
That's the aliens abducting you and then putting you back on Earth.
::)

omg i feel like that every night on my home on the garden state at like 1 in the morning. there is very little traffic and i did even see a strange blue light shoot across the sky. thats why i take rt.17 home now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts