Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Removing the coolant with the hot engine (about 80 degrees Celsius) may harm the engine or the gaskets? (like the head cylinder gaskets, bottom cilinder gaskets).

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
What's the hurry?

·
MOTORADOR
10,954 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen today a mechanic to have a look at my clutch plates. I left the bike about 20 minutes after I arrived at his shop. In order to proceed to see the clutch plates you have to remove first the water pump then the clutch cover. He drained the liquid, telling me not to worry, no problems should occur.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't imagine it would damage anything. The temperature drop wouldn't be all that severe. I wouldn't worry too much.
I don't worry about the temperature drop. I worry about the gaskets not to melt without cooling liquid on them.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I don't worry about the temperature drop. I worry about the gaskets not to melt without cooling liquid on them.
The liquid is no longer cooling anything once your engine is stopped- your coolant is barely moving as the pump isn't moving it.

Thus it's just the metal cooling as it does in the air...

Liquid cooling (as with any cooling on an engine) is there to keep the engine cool, not cool it off. (meaning, maintain a max temperature, not actually reduce the temperature to zero)

Gaskets don't melt at operating temperatures, when you turn the bike off and then drain the coolant right away- the engine isn't getting any hotter, it's cooling off...thus the gaskets (and other components) will be just fine.

So I don't see a problem here... just have it running w/o coolant...

·
very big dumb
8,893 Posts
Removing the coolant with the hot engine (about 80 degrees Celsius) may harm your skin when you spill it on you by accident and when you hit your knuckles against a hot engine part ;)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The liquid is no longer cooling anything once your engine is stopped- your coolant is barely moving as the pump isn't moving it.

Thus it's just the metal cooling as it does in the air...

Liquid cooling (as with any cooling on an engine) is there to keep the engine cool, not cool it off. (meaning, maintain a max temperature, not actually reduce the temperature to zero)

Gaskets don't melt at operating temperatures, when you turn the bike off and then drain the coolant right away- the engine isn't getting any hotter, it's cooling off...thus the gaskets (and other components) will be just fine.

So I don't see a problem here... just have it running w/o coolant...

Thank you for your kind explanation. Be safe bro!:vroom:

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I don't think removal is a problem, but if he were draining and re-filling right away, dumping cold water in a hot engine can cause problems.

·
MOTORADOR
10,954 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I don't think removal is a problem, but if he were draining and re-filling right away, dumping cold water in a hot engine can cause problems.
What I was going to post!

Sudden cooling can lead to the metal contracting unevenly which can lead to a cracked engine casing but the time it takes him to drain the coolant, replace the clutch bits, and reassemble would allow plenty of time for the engine to cool off and make that a non-issue. Also, from time you parked the bike and walked into the shop, the temps have already dropped significantly, otherwise the mechanic would probably let it sit for a few minutes anyhow to prevent any danger of burns caused by sudden depressurization of the system spraying coolant everywhere.

For anyone with a car with an actual temp gauge showing degrees (not this "H/L" crap), after you shut your car off, turn the key back to the "run" position without starting the car and watch what happens to the coolant temperature after the engine is no longer circulating coolant... I think you'll be surprised how high it actually climbs as the heat of the engine is transfered to the coolant without the circulation through the system. ;)

·
Registered
335 Posts
I wouldnt worry at all, i do it at work all the time, draining the coolant out also cools the engine alittle faster.

Also have had to fill cooling systems on a hot engine with cool water and no issues thou i wouldn't use ice water or run it to full load right away.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not a problem, and someone else pointed it out too- it's not really a stupid question, SVR doesn't work quite like some other forums :)

Def staying safe :> - You too.
Thanks, my biggest fear was for the gaskets (bottom cylinder gasket, head cylinder gasket) not to melt due to lack of cooling liquid (since it was drained) and the engine was still hot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts