Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or maybe the user is stupid and cant figure it out - SV has been sitting on a trickle charger for months, however I noticed that there was no battery charge. Possibly someone else disconnected long enough for battery to drain and then reconnected weeks later, I dont know. Anyways, I use the car battery (engine off) to jump and SV starts however immediately dies and dumps some fuel - enough to make a one foot diameter mess on the floor. Can not locate leak point. Rejump again and will continue to run if linked to car battery, but no additional fuel loss. Now, I do notice when it is disconnected and dies the aftermarket GPI throws a (lower case) 'd' code. Suggestions? Possible diagnosis?

Firstly I seem to need a battery. But the fuel dump seems odd and I have never experienced that before.

TIA

PS - Check out my Blog below.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You don't say in your post what Generation bike this is, but your info below the avatar says it is a 2006 SV model. Is that right? It makes a BIG difference if we are talking "fuel dump" to know if it is a carbureted bike (gen 1) or an EFI bike (gen 2).

You are correct - your bike battery is dead. No work around there. Gotta buy a new one. Problem #1 solved for about $70.

Fuel dump is a bigger issue. Bike dies and fuel leaks out in noticeable quantities? Not good! Makes me think fuel is probably leaking out during normal running as well, just not as much and not as visible. Scary!

Where could fuel leak from?
*Top of tank filler hole. Not likely in this case or you'd see it.
*Overflow tube. Possible. Did the fuel just suddenly appear down at the kickstand area? Then I'd suspect overflow tube (which drains fuel to the bottom of the bike if you overfill the gas tank.)
*Fuel pump/filter gasket (bottom of tank.) It could be leaking. Get a new gasket and replace. Fixed.
*Fuel line 'disconnect' fitting. My money is HERE! If it has been disconnected and reconnected many times, the rubber "O" ring may be nicked or otherwise damaged. When the bike suddenly "died" there was a lot of pressure in the fuel line and the "O" ring couldn't contain the pressure. Replace the fitting or at least the "O" ring (may be two in there...can't recall off the top of my head right now.)
*At injector rail or the injector itself. Did an injector pop free? Come loose? Is the injector rail itself damaged and 'oozing' fuel? Not likely, but had to put it out there as a possibility.

Good luck with the bike. When you find the source of the fuel dump, please share with the group so we can all benefit from your experience.
Michael in Aurora, CO

·
Premium Member
8,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't say in your post what Generation bike this is, but your info below the avatar says it is a 2006 SV model. Is that right? It makes a BIG difference if we are talking "fuel dump" to know if it is a carbureted bike (gen 1) or an EFI bike (gen 2).

You are correct - your bike battery is dead. No work around there. Gotta buy a new one. Problem #1 solved for about $70.

Fuel dump is a bigger issue. Bike dies and fuel leaks out in noticeable quantities? Not good! Makes me think fuel is probably leaking out during normal running as well, just not as much and not as visible. Scary!

Where could fuel leak from?
*Top of tank filler hole. Not likely in this case or you'd see it.
*Overflow tube. Possible. Did the fuel just suddenly appear down at the kickstand area? Then I'd suspect overflow tube (which drains fuel to the bottom of the bike if you overfill the gas tank.)
*Fuel pump/filter gasket (bottom of tank.) It could be leaking. Get a new gasket and replace. Fixed.
*Fuel line 'disconnect' fitting. My money is HERE! If it has been disconnected and reconnected many times, the rubber "O" ring may be nicked or otherwise damaged. When the bike suddenly "died" there was a lot of pressure in the fuel line and the "O" ring couldn't contain the pressure. Replace the fitting or at least the "O" ring (may be two in there...can't recall off the top of my head right now.)
*At injector rail or the injector itself. Did an injector pop free? Come loose? Is the injector rail itself damaged and 'oozing' fuel? Not likely, but had to put it out there as a possibility.

Good luck with the bike. When you find the source of the fuel dump, please share with the group so we can all benefit from your experience.
Michael in Aurora, CO
Thanks Michael - so far the battery replacement has had no issues and no further fuel dump. It was very odd, and I did run it in for a while today all within a 5 mile radius of my domicile in case it dumped or died again which it did not. Truly perplexing as none of the scenarios you list seem to immediately be the culprit.

I do appreciate the response, nice to see helpful and thoughtful answers to questions. Cheers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts